Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 05:42 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,927,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
CHtransplant. Do you think the Republicans in power in this state are any less corrupt? Really...I'm beginning to think everybody in power is corrupt, regardless of party, state or country. Isn't that how they got in power?
It's a good question. I just think the long-standing Democratic good-ole-boy network in this state is the source of much corruption. The Republicans (of whom I am no fan) haven't controlled local politics, boards, appointments, etc. for decades like the Democrats have in this state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2010, 06:10 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,192,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
CHtransplant. Do you think the Republicans in power in this state are any less corrupt? Really...I'm beginning to think everybody in power is corrupt, regardless of party, state or country. Isn't that how they got in power?
It's a holdover from the old solid Democratic south era though almost every conservative Democrat who was gonna switch parties has done so, like Walter Jones. Some might have stuck around because you're right they're all corrupt as hell and one might as well stay with the organization who wins, but at least since the Democrats have controlled state politics for so long they've had enough time to figure out how to run things a little bit. In contrast the Republicans getting ready to take control of the legislature are hilariously incompetent on top of the usual good ol' boy corruption. The influx of conservative Northerners who have even less of a clue how thing work down here (and how things work in general) aren't going to make the situation any better, as we see the Wake Co. School Board debacle. Bad times ahead and I don't trust Perdue to not go along with whatever cockamamie schemes these clowns come up with.

Old 11-23-2010, 07:30 PM

1,335 posts, read 3,148,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
It's a good question. I just think the long-standing Democratic good-ole-boy network in this state is the source of much corruption. The Republicans (of whom I am no fan) haven't controlled local politics, boards, appointments, etc. for decades like the Democrats have in this state.
Agree, that's the big issue. Any time one party has complete control of all (most) aspects of the gov't, they are ripe for curruption. I'm not saying that is OK, I'm just saying that is how it seems to be (look at any dictatorship for an extreme example). I think that if it were the Republicans in the same situation, the outcome would have been the same.

My opinion:
I am so sick of both parties in our country. They are both currupt as hell, and neither one is better than the other.

But my understanding of this investigation is that they did a thorough investigation, with a big net cast, and only came up with a class I felony (low grade), and this is the standard punishment for it. It does not seem he got special treatment, if that is indeed the case.

I don't know if Perdue is innocent or guilty. I usually vote Dem, but I did not vote for her, and I will not next time either. Ethics aside, she is not an effective leader IMO.

Old 11-23-2010, 07:35 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,575,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
The only way to stop the corruption is to vote for someone not affiliated with either party.

Old 11-24-2010, 01:02 PM

3 posts, read 5,146 times
Seems like a lot of MONEY for the state to pay to come to the conclusion that a $1000 fine should be enough.

Old 11-24-2010, 01:48 PM

101 posts, read 227,021 times
Both parties act like a two year old brat with a toy, only problem is that toy is our lives and they do not respect it. If they could all get back to the issues at hand and come to a reasonable soutions, it would benefit us all. There are so many things that need to be fixed, spend money to hire the people, which creates a taxpayer, which creates a shopper, which creates sales tax. A man has to have money he earned in his pocket to have pride, then he will take care of his family and share with others in need.

Old 11-24-2010, 05:45 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
I'd get worse for unpaid parking tickets (LOL).

Old 11-24-2010, 11:22 PM

1,036 posts, read 1,952,476 times
Witchhunt.

Old 11-25-2010, 06:47 PM

4,261 posts, read 4,706,148 times
I don't buy the notion that the Democratic Party is uniquely corrupt top to bottom, but there certainly have been a lot of corrupt Dems. If the Republicans had been in power for the last 20 years, we probably would have seen the same thing. Republicans are not immune.

Easley was very unpopular within the Democratic Party. Remember when he was booed at the 2008 campaign appearance of Clinton and Obama at Dorton Arena? Or when his hand-picked candidate for state party chair was not elected? No witchhunt, but his unpopularity meant that no one would give him the benefit of the doubt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary