Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 07:44 AM

835 posts, read 2,876,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry884 View Post
To me, here's how this breaks down:

Management company problems - notify the owners of the company:
- They never answer emails or phone calls either
- Overgrown disgusting yards, broken signs, unlit entrance lights
- beer cans everywhere (also the fault of the landscaping contractor, as I guarantee the contract states they're supposed to be picking up trash)

Builder/ developer problems (call the development company and follow up with a letter):
- poorly-done flooded walking trail with no trash container
-still no pool or cabana 4 years in
Thanks! How would I find out who the owner is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2011, 09:57 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,150,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongasabear View Post
I'd go to their website and start investigating from there. That's how we managed to find the email address for the CEO of the management company of our apartment complex to start to address issues we were having. It'll take some hunting around on the sites I'm sure.

Old 10-30-2011, 08:26 PM

1,074 posts, read 3,245,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongasabear View Post
You can call the office, check the website, or PM me. I know all the local mgmt companies and owners.

Old 04-02-2015, 05:27 PM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
We're looking for a property management company and have narrowed it down to Omega and R.S. Fischer. Both use CINC accounting software, are local rather than a branch of an out-of-town operation, and have positive references from Board members of several of their communities.

We have had such dreadful experiences in the past, charging top dollar for shoddy work and leaving us with all sorts of deferred maintenance and no money in the bank.

Any advice on how to go about selecting the right one for us?

Any other property management firms you would recommend?

Old 04-06-2015, 10:58 PM

835 posts, read 2,876,785 times
Definitely not Omega!

Old 04-07-2015, 06:56 AM

187 posts, read 345,201 times
We are with Talis. It's a mixed neighborhood with single family homes and townhomes. Naturally the townhomes require more attention and upkeep than the single family homes who only pay annual dues. The townhomes pay $180 monthly plus $200 annually.

Personally, I think we see very little in return. Our community manager is a master at sweeping problems under the rug and giving condescending answers. The board is mostly single family home owners who have a very different perspective than townhome owners.

This has been my first experience with a HOA, and once I decide to sell, it will probably be my last.

I'd suggest avoiding Talis.

Old 04-11-2015, 10:09 PM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetelf View Post
We are with Talis. It's a mixed neighborhood with single family homes and townhomes. Naturally the townhomes require more attention and upkeep than the single family homes who only pay annual dues. The townhomes pay $180 monthly plus $200 annually.

Personally, I think we see very little in return. Our community manager is a master at sweeping problems under the rug and giving condescending answers. The board is mostly single family home owners who have a very different perspective than townhome owners.

This has been my first experience with a HOA, and once I decide to sell, it will probably be my last.

I'd suggest avoiding Talis.
I've not heard any good things about Tallis. They manage a lot of communities in the area so they must be doing a good job for some. But all I've heard is that they overcharge for poor quality repairs which drains the coffers and leaves the property in poor condition.

Old 04-12-2015, 10:34 AM

6 posts, read 10,312 times
Default HOA management

Good Afternoon, I've been in the management business for over 15yrs on the West Coast and recently moved here to pursue the same. The HOA industry on the West Coast, is much more advanced, and under great public, legal, and legislative scrutiny... thus the professionalism has sky-rocketed.

After working with HRW/Associa here in Raleigh, STAY AWAY! They put on a great presentation, and have the marketing down, but the service is sub-par and the people running the show leave a lot to be desired.

I've heard good things about CAS, but that's just through others around the industry here. In summary, don't "look for a management company"... look for a good "manager". Even great management companies have duds, so make sure you interview the manager even if the company puts up a fight.

Questions to ask:

1) What do you know about reserve studies
a) Give them a copy of the reserve study and ask them to give suggestions on repairs/replacement
2) What accounting safety controls do you have in place to prevent fraud, theft etc.
3) We have "ACME" project, how would you assist us with it
4) Do you charge extra for dealing with insurance claims (can't believe NC allows companies to skim off the top... ILLEGAL in MANY OTHER STATES)
5) How often do you suggest getting an audit?
a) If they say anything more than once every 5yrs (RUN)
b) If they do in house audits (RUN) Audits should be completed by an independent CPA
6) Does your accountant have a degree, or formal training in accounting
a) If they don't, RUN
7) How often does the manager visit our community
a) Will we receive a ride report when this happens? If they don't produce regularly, RUN

*Lastly, don't let a manager tell you what's important to THEM, you need to tell THEM what's important to YOU! Mangers are often put in very precarious situations, because sometimes Board members ask for things that are either immoral or illegal. Test the manager, and ask them a question about how they'd handle a very difficult situation such as sending out violation information to the entire community to embarrass those that are not in compliance. If they say they'll do it... RUN... if they dig their heals in and say they won't do it... RUN. The proper answer should be "Unfortunately that's something that we advise against because it violates privacy laws, however if you'd like I can schedule your attorney to visit your meeting to discuss and possibly present a different solution."

A manager should never tell you "NO" flat out, that's just poor business and customer service skills. A great manager will provide alternative solutions to cure the problem. If they don't know how to cure the problem they'll tell you (also the sign of a great manager), then they'll tell you who they can contact to have them discuss with you.

Lots to say... feel free to email me Christopher.neuhauser@yahoo.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary