Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2010, 06:59 PM
ERH ERH started this thread

1,699 posts, read 2,528,434 times

Advertisements

Dr. Steve Perry, CNN contributor, author, and founder of Capital Preparatory Magnet School in Hartford, Connecticut, will be speaking tomorrow evening at NCSU's Witherspoon Cinema (7pm).

I first learned of Dr. Steve Perry's contributions to education about a year and a half ago. He is an awesome, dynamic speaker and my choice for WCPSS Superintendent (not that anyone's asking me, LOL). Wish they would make this a double feature and show 'Waiting for Superman'. Talk about an inspiring night. From what I understand, admission is free (FCFS, of course).

If you've never heard of Dr. Perry, do yourself a favor and watch this segment from CNN's 'Black in America' feature:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kwOIgtg108

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 11-29-2010 at 09:27 PM.. Reason: No links to Facebook, please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2010, 07:49 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,866,443 times
Thx for sharing, very interesting, what a wonderful man! part of his model reminds me of how schools were in England (years ago). We had to wear uniforms, had to be inspected, etc..
I have seen a teacher and a principal in Wake Co who treated their students in a similar fashion...each yielding excellent results. We do have good people here but they often go unrecognized. There is a high school here, Wake Early College based at Wake Tech's health campus where students earn an associates while in HS. The gentleman who runs Harlem Schools Project is another unique individual who has documented success with an alternative approach.

There are certainly plenty of people and places to look to for models. This is a great example.

Old 11-29-2010, 08:19 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,863,564 times
Maybe it's just a coincidence that he is speaking in Raleigh tomorrow evening. I read in the N&O that WCSB is interviewing 3 or 4 shortlisted candidates at the Hilton North Raleigh on Wednesday Maybe your recommendation is taken into account by the Interview sub-committee.

Wake might interview superintendent candidates Wednesday - Education - NewsObserver.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERH View Post
Dr. Steve Perry, CNN contributor, author, and founder of Capital Preparatory Magnet School in Hartford, Connecticut, will be speaking tomorrow evening at NCSU's Witherspoon Cinema (7pm).

I first learned of Dr. Steve Perry's contributions to education about a year and a half ago. He is an awesome, dynamic speaker and my choice for WCPSS Superintendent (not that anyone's asking me, LOL). Wish they would make this a double feature and show 'Waiting for Superman'. Talk about an inspiring night. From what I understand, admission is free (FCFS, of course).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary