Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 07:56 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,819,327 times

Advertisements

I think the highway traffic here isn't so bad but the traffic on the secondary roads stinks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2010, 08:07 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,693,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by librarySue View Post
Ya'll keep commenting on the traffic in the area. When I visited I didn't find it anywhere near as bad as the DC area. Wednesday I drove around Baltimore to get to DC and enjoyed the usual crowds but no particular gridlock (I was just early enough to miss the worst of it and did not go through any construction.)

But I got to thinking, if traffic is so bad, why not implement some HOV lanes or park n rides to encourage carpooling like DC does? Is there a lot of carpooling in the area?
Like others said, its all relative. DC/Nova traffic is terrible - getting stuck in a traffic jam at 2 pm on a Sunday was ridiculous when I lived there. Other than rush hour and Capital Blvd all the time, traffic is not generally bad in the Raleigh area, but we keep getting new roads to accommodate the growth, unlike Nova and DC.

Traffic isn't bad enough in the area for HOV lanes or for mass transit other than buses at this point.

Old 11-27-2010, 08:07 PM

1,074 posts, read 3,244,826 times
There is NO carpooling in Raleigh. You can drive by a row of 35 SUVs and literally there will only be the driver in each and every one of them. Absolutely disgusting.

Old 11-28-2010, 09:32 AM

881 posts, read 2,252,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by librarySue View Post
Ya'll keep commenting on the traffic in the area. When I visited I didn't find it anywhere near as bad as the DC area. Wednesday I drove around Baltimore to get to DC and enjoyed the usual crowds but no particular gridlock (I was just early enough to miss the worst of it and did not go through any construction.)

But I got to thinking, if traffic is so bad, why not implement some HOV lanes or park n rides to encourage carpooling like DC does? Is there a lot of carpooling in the area?
Bad is subjective and honestly not sure why I should compare here to DC? There are places that are worse than DC who would probably think your traffic is no big deal . I used to live in Winston-Salem and traffic here in Raleigh is worse. Plus as someone who has grown-up in the triangle I have seen is get more congested. I live in Raleigh and my parents live in Durham and the traffic on I-40 is bad enough that I watch the traffic reports to wait and see what time I will leave when I decide to visit them.

IMO carpooling isn't going to work for the average salary worker. My previous company many of the hourly workers took advantage of vanpooling but, they knew what time they were leaving everyday. Technically my hours were 8-5pm but who really works that these days? Combined with the fact I often went to gym after work, ran errands, or had some other social event carpooling is very impractical. I imagine those with kids would find it even harder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary