Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2010, 05:15 PM
GPC GPC started this thread

1,308 posts, read 3,411,222 times

Advertisements

I know there are other threads related to this topic and I'll search for them. I do want to start another thread to get 'fresh' answers. I bought a house with a relatively large lot size of .42 since we want to install an in-ground pool. My basic question is when should ground be broken in order to be swimming come May? I thought I once read that ground should be broken the previous Fall, something about giving the particular soil in this area a chance to settle or something, I'm not sure. I meant to get around to this sooner but there was just so much to do what with unpacking so many boxes and all the paperwork that comes with a move. I still want to shoot for next summer so I hope I haven't missed the 'window' of when a project like this should be started.

Also, if anyone has any recommendations on a pool company, I'd love to hear them. I've heard of Rising Sun Pools, Gress Pools, and Aquatic Creations but of course have no first hand experience with any of them. Thanks for any advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2010, 01:10 PM

98 posts, read 231,682 times
I would suggest getting a salesman out to your home to better see your needs.

If it were me, I'd do it ASAP as you don't want to have bare fresh dirt/mud around your yard when you could be using your pool in May. Unless you are paying a lot extra to have someone else do landscaping, getting a pool dug makes a huge mess to clean up and takes up a lot of time.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 11-27-2010 at 01:58 PM.. Reason: Please review the Terms of Service -- members with fewer than 10 posts may not make recommendations.

Old 11-27-2010, 07:06 PM

43,264 posts, read 77,033,287 times
I would do some shopping right now. Depths of the off-season for pool installers. Pricing should never be better.
And, I would be curious what a few pool companies would tell you about the earliest they could/would install.

Old 11-27-2010, 11:56 PM

2,905 posts, read 5,918,785 times
Interview lots of companies. I went with Pool Professionals for a concrete pool. We'd been shopping for fiberglass when they told me concrete would only be a few $K more. It was worth every penny to upgrade and it wasn't much more at all. Look for my pool thread on here with lots of photos.

We interviewed 2 of the 3 you mentioned along with probably another 5-7 and Pool Professionals was hands down our favorite. We're really glad we went with them.

Old 11-28-2010, 08:06 PM

30 posts, read 107,747 times
We used Gress Inc. and loved them. Can't say enough good things - Michael Gress - (919) 363-1560 - is the owner. They did everything from design, build to landscape. LOVE our pool!

Old 11-30-2010, 08:21 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,029,735 times
If you break ground in january, you could be in the pool by mid may, and that allows for some rain! You have a lot of things to do before ground breaking though, meeting with the pool people, deciding on a plan, drawing up plan, getting permits from the county, approval from hoa (if needed), etc. So, basically, you need to start now............

Leigh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary