Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2008, 08:25 AM

1,054 posts, read 3,251,263 times

Advertisements

I understand they move kids around from school to school due to population rise.
I have some questions as we are trying to decide if we should move there or not.

1 - Would that mean that if I lived in, say, Holly Springs, my child would not be redirected to a school as far as Wake Forest? Is there a maximum of miles from your house that they will redirect your child to?

2 - Also, if both of my children got separated (put into 2 different schools),
can I "argue" it (not really argue per say - but bring it to their attention and have them make sure they are in the SAME school)?

3 - When they change school zones, do they keep you in the same kind of school (economical status, test scores, etc.)? Example, great schools.net grades the schools by their test scores...so lets say my children are in a school ranked a 9...would they be put in the same kind of school, or could they be put into a school ranked a 3 (I've seen some low ranking schools in Wake County)?

Thanks to those who can help me with these questions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2008, 08:33 AM

2,834 posts, read 12,051,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1972 View Post
I understand they move kids around from school to school due to population rise.
I have some questions as we are trying to decide if we should move there or not.

1 - Would that mean that if I lived in, say, Holly Springs, my child would not be redirected to a school as far as Wake Forest? Is there a maximum of miles from your house that they will redirect your child to?

can I "argue" it (not really argue per say - but bring it to their attention and have them make sure they are in the SAME school)?

3 - When they change school zones, do they keep you in the same kind of school (economical status, test scores, etc.)? Example, great schools.net grades the schools by their test scores...so lets say my children are in a school ranked a 9...would they be put in the same kind of school, or could they be put into a school ranked a 3 (I've seen some low ranking schools in Wake County)?

I think if you read up about on the wake county public school website, that may help. Let me see if I can shed some light.......

If you are in a school in holly springs, you are not going to sent to a school outside of holly springs, I think they do have a mileage limit, but I don't know what that is. My daughter's elementary school is 8 miles from us, but that is the closest one, so it works for us.

Your children would not be sent to different schools, I have never heard of that happening. The difficulties that people face is that many of the elementary schools are year round, and not as many of the middle are......so you could have an elementary school child in year round school and a middle schooler on the traditional track. It happens. Usually, there is a year round option of a middle school that you can choose, it just depends on which schools are in your area.

Hopefully this helps

Leigh

Old 01-03-2008, 08:51 AM

That really DID help. Wow. Thank you. I feel better.

Old 01-03-2008, 09:00 AM

153 posts, read 460,795 times
We just received paperwork from the school to reserve spots for our kids in the 2008-2009 school year. Also, there was a place to reserve a spot for a rising kindergartener. Our situation is a little different in that we applied to and were accepted into our calendar option school (yr round). We live in Holly Springs, but the school is in Apex.

Old 01-03-2008, 01:56 PM

906 posts, read 2,385,984 times
Quote:

1)I agree with Leigh that you won't be sent to a school as far away as Wake Forest, but you could be sent to a school that is not in Holly Springs. WCPSS does not see schools in terms of towns or municipalities, they see it as a whole system. Therefore, they do not see a difference if your school is located in Cary or Raleigh or Apex, etc. There is no distance limit in miles, but they do have a bus ride limit (from the WCPSS website):

Maximum one-way ride times are adopted:
A. Base Elementary Students - One hour and 15 minutes
B. Base Secondary Students - One hour and 30 minutes
C. Nonbase Students - Thirty (30) minutes in addition to the above
limits.

Some kids are bused 8 or 10 miles to school and they pass several schools on the way, or like Leigh's situation, the nearest school may be 8 miles away. I'm not sure of the exact situation in Holly Springs, but just want you to be aware of what can occur.

2) The only time I've heard of siblings being assigned to different schools is when there is a reassignment. They will let a rising 4th or 5th grader stay at their current school but the younger sibling has to go to the new school. You can appeal for the younger student to stay at the current school and they will sometimes allow this but you have to provide your own transportation.

3) They will not seek to keep you at the same type of school (economics, test scores, etc). Many of the reassignments are for the economic diversity policy and in that case, people are moved from a low poverty school to a higher one or vice versa, depending on your economic status. Certainly not all the assignments are for this reason, but they happen in every reassignment plan. There is no guarantee that your child will not be reassigned and there is absolutely no consideration given for them to stay at the same quality of school.

Old 01-03-2008, 02:24 PM

I don't bus my kids. I drive them. I won't put them on a bus. I see no reason to. I'm a stay at home mom.
So there is no milege limit for reassigning, huh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary