Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 09:08 AM

553 posts, read 1,271,601 times

Advertisements

The only downside for me is my morning commute down "Crapital" Boulevard.

I think it may be better once another lane is added...or, maybe not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2010, 12:25 PM

102 posts, read 205,281 times
I've looked up the official school websites but, any info (good, bad, and ugly) on the High Schools in WF from those who live there?

Old 11-29-2010, 03:49 PM

24 posts, read 40,916 times
Default so what IS the commute time to RTP?

I know no one likes the commute to RTP from Wake Forest, but during rush hour, how long DOES it take to get to RTP? my GPS predicts 36 minutes w/o traffic. Having just moved to Wake Forest last month, I'm curious how long the commute really is.
To the original poster, we love it here so far. I feel like we're in the country but close enough to places like Target to make it ok. As far as diversity, it seems like it's made of people who are either white or African American, leaning more toward white. I haven't been out to more than the grocery stores, school and Lowes/Target/Walmart but haven't really seen much diversity, especially compared to the DC area that I'm used to.

Old 11-30-2010, 08:18 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,029,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdboysen View Post
I know no one likes the commute to RTP from Wake Forest, but during rush hour, how long DOES it take to get to RTP? my GPS predicts 36 minutes w/o traffic. Having just moved to Wake Forest last month, I'm curious how long the commute really is.
To the original poster, we love it here so far. I feel like we're in the country but close enough to places like Target to make it ok. As far as diversity, it seems like it's made of people who are either white or African American, leaning more toward white. I haven't been out to more than the grocery stores, school and Lowes/Target/Walmart but haven't really seen much diversity, especially compared to the DC area that I'm used to.
Wake Forest to RTP all depends on where you live in wake forest and where you are going in RTP. We live west of capital blvd, and commute to miami blvd. We do not use 540 or capital, and have a 30-35 minute commute, and never have to worry about traffic jams......

If you live on the other side of wake forest (let's say heritage) it would add time to your commute, and you may end up going the capital/540 route, which an be crowded!!!!!

Old 12-04-2010, 08:21 AM

835 posts, read 2,876,660 times
Moved to WF from the north 2 years ago and love it! Ligon Mill as an alternative to Capital has worked out great. WFRHS has some challenges IMHO. Been fighting to get my child re-instated into special programs since Sept. Other than that, love WF and look forward to even more growth!

Old 12-06-2010, 11:58 AM

94 posts, read 248,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim27587 View Post
I have been living in Wake Forest for 5 years now and I love it. The people are friendly, I feel very safe here unlike when I lived in Apex, and so many new stores and restaurants have opened since I have moved here. A new Harris Teeter will be opening in a few months, a JC Penney store and new mall are in the works, and it’s only going to get better with the growth here. I especially like being close to Raleigh, and if I have to get to RTP I just take RT 98 and avoid 540.

Wow, where or how did you hear about this? What kind of mall? Where are they planning on building this? Pretty exciting if true.

Old 02-08-2011, 07:02 AM

5 posts, read 8,841 times
We relocated to Cary from a sleepy farm town just outside Hartford, CT about 8 mos. ago. First we considered living in Raleigh, (off Buffalo Rd., heading towards Knightdale) near my longtime friend. After staying in the area for 2 weeks, we knew it was not the best fit for us + 4 kids. We decided to rent for a year in Cary, after hearing positive experiences from other relocating families.

We're moving to Wake Forest in a couple months, however, because Cary has proven to be more like a mirror of CT than anything. Sure, it's safe ... but we're assigned to Raleigh schools and my children have had a rough year (to say the least). On the other side of Cary, where our parish is, you'd be hard-pressed to find a friendly place ... and for some reason, people do not stop for pedestrians here! It's rather unsettling when you're out and about with little ones.

All that said - when we made our decision to buy in Wake Forest, we based it on the type of community we'd be living in. My husband is an avid golfer, I'm still learning, and our 4 children are involved in sports year-round. To us, it wasn't about where all the restaurants, shopping and nightlife were : how silly would it be to base the biggest investment of our lives on things we do TWICE a month?

Best of luck to you in your search!

Old 02-08-2011, 07:55 AM

1,695 posts, read 4,673,059 times
ive lived in the wake forest area for over ten years.

no real negatives, except maybe traffic on US1 in the morning headed to raleigh, then home again in the evening.

all the shopping you would want on a regular basis can be found there (super walmart, target, various grocery stores and dollar stores (love $ stores! LOL) ... petsmart, home depot, lowes, staples... and raleigh is a straight shot down 1- you can be at the mall in 20 minutes....

Old 02-08-2011, 12:20 PM

4,251 posts, read 3,169,841 times
I moved to WF about 15 years ago from Cary. At that time it was comparable in size and makeup to Cary from the late 70's. It was and still is a great little town with a lot of history. In terms of housing, you do get a little more for your money when compared to Cary. Like anywhere, there are good and not so good places to live. The town is growing and offers a reasonable assortment of eating establishments and shopping. Really hope it will not become another Cary!

Old 02-08-2011, 01:15 PM

3,050 posts, read 4,991,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarletdrawl78 View Post
We're moving to Wake Forest in a couple months, however, because Cary has proven to be more like a mirror of CT than anything. Sure, it's safe ... but we're assigned to Raleigh schools and my children have had a rough year (to say the least). On the other side of Cary, where our parish is, you'd be hard-pressed to find a friendly place ... and for some reason, people do not stop for pedestrians here! It's rather unsettling when you're out and about with little ones.
They don't stop for pedestrians in Wake Forest either, or anywhere else where there are a lot of New Yorkers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary