Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 01:04 PM

43,280 posts, read 77,092,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Maybe the cop who has to run your plates cares. Maybe he or she would like to know just who might be in that car before they have to step up to the window, and knowing which state issued the plate is an important fact. Your plate is there for identification, period.
Yes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2010, 01:28 PM

378 posts, read 974,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Maybe the cop who has to run your plates cares. Maybe he or she would like to know just who might be in that car before they have to step up to the window, and knowing which state issued the plate is an important fact. Your plate is there for identification, period.
"The law applies only to vehicles registered in North Carolina." And if anyone bothered to look at the example pictures in the news article they'll see this is a money grab by the state. Apparently police departments are employing simpletons if they cannot figure out what's on those plates. If the number/letter is obscured to the point that it's unreadable, then sure - ticket away, but we all know this is just another excuse to pull someone over and fill a cities coffers for a nitpicky offense.

Old 12-01-2010, 01:48 PM

102 posts, read 316,578 times
People actually have a problem with this? The entire purpose is to identify your vehicle, not tell us you're a SOX fan.

Old 12-01-2010, 01:57 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
Ha! I told my DH to take the dealer frame off the car when our plate came in the mail - he wanted to keep it so the plate didn't look bare. It's been a law in NY for years not to have your plates blocked (front and back in NY) so I told him it was probably a law here. Glad to know I'm right!

Old 12-01-2010, 02:03 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,936,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danwilsonbsee View Post
"The law applies only to vehicles registered in North Carolina."
Other states have similar laws. I don't really care that much one way or the other about the issue - it just doesn't strike me as that big of a deal to ditch the frames. It does make sense to me that NC and other states would have requirements that license plates be readable.

Old 12-01-2010, 02:56 PM

63 posts, read 139,912 times
I think it's a great idea....always wonder how the police can tell who's who when half the time the name of the state is blocked.

Old 12-01-2010, 03:02 PM

1,501 posts, read 1,726,761 times
I cannot help but think that this has something to do with the automatic license plate readers that will eventually be going up to collect the tolls on the Outer Loop as well.

Old 12-01-2010, 03:03 PM

2,459 posts, read 8,077,583 times
My $.02 is that a completely visible rear plate is a reasonable tradeoff for not having a front plate. Not sure who in State Gov is responsible for that, but they're my friend.
Frank

Old 12-01-2010, 03:12 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,599,760 times
I bent my plate and nearly put my eye out trying to take that thing off. The car dealership definitely did NOT want people to remove them. Jerks! You could put someone's eye out!

Old 12-01-2010, 03:31 PM

2,618 posts, read 3,147,602 times
I've been noticing that situation already. We spent the summer watching & listing license plates with our younger daughter. A good many were impossible to read while passing by. The frames obscure a lot and some of the plates themselves are hard to read, with colors that obscure, state names in script, etc. Most plates used to be contrasting colors & plain print for state name, very few were hard to read while passing by.

I wondered then if troopers had a hard time with them too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary