Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 06:57 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,154,062 times

Advertisements

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has noticed this about Goodwill. I've stopped going to Goodwill in this area since 99% of the time it's a waste of time.

The Durham Rescue Mission on 15-501 usually had a great selection of clothes though I don't know if they ever do bag sales.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2014, 07:14 AM

1,701 posts, read 2,589,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
I've stopped going to Goodwill in this area ...
Some people avoid Goodwill stores because the company officers are overpaid.

"As president of the Goodwill Community Foundation, Dennis McLain directs a chain of 36 stores stretching from Durham to Jacksonville, selling used sport coats and secondhand dresses to some of North Carolina’s poorest citizens. ... But McLain receives an uncommonly large portion of the nonprofit’s generosity, earning more than $430,000 a year in pay and other benefits ... His wife, Linda, Goodwill’s executive vice president, brings home $365,000, according to nonprofit disclosure forms filed with the Internal Revenue Service for 2011."

Source:
DURHAM: Goodwill husband-wife team earns nearly $800,000 | News | NewsObserver.com

Old 01-31-2014, 03:40 PM

637 posts, read 1,058,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbmartin View Post
Some people avoid Goodwill stores because the company officers are overpaid.
Well someone once said some of the best money to be made out there is in being in charge of helping the poor

Old 02-01-2014, 07:00 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,333,920 times
I know this is an old zombie thread that has come back from the dead, but in case anyone really wants to know about the original question, the PTA Thrift Stores in Chapel Hill and Carrboro run "Bag Days" regularly. I think they do it seasonally to get ready for the new stock and then everything you can put in a brown grocery bag is $1 per bag.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary