Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 12:44 PM

545 posts, read 1,605,625 times

Advertisements

OP, I know exactly how you feel. I am deathly afraid of rodents. I've alwasy said that if I ever fould one in my house, the bank would have to take the house back, because you wouldn't get me back in it - LOL!

Of course, now I have probably jinxed myself - ack!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2010, 03:17 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,654,812 times
Well since we're talking about rodents...

Last year I went up into the attic to get the Christmas stuff. I notice mouse droppings all over the place. So I put some d-con up there figuring that would solve the problem. So this year I go up in the attic (I only ever go up at Christmas!) to get the decorations and noticed that the d-con was empty. COOL!

So I pull out a hollow ceramic decoration and notice that the d-con was all piled up under the ornament. Furthermore there was a mouse nest inside. So I bagged the ornament and took it outside and removed the nest. No dead mouse, but surely he died somewhere in the attic.

Fast forward a few days and I have to head back up to the attic - now the d-con pile is gone! So he's still up there. Does that stuff work? Any experience with it?

When I have my gutters cleaned I'm going to have them check to see if there are any holes up there, not sure how the mice get up there, but I haven't had any droppings elsewhere in the house.

Old 12-13-2010, 07:59 PM

1,188 posts, read 2,546,002 times
I would use a trap. Why would you want a dead mouse stinking up your attic?

Old 12-13-2010, 10:21 PM

4 posts, read 8,658 times
To rockinmomma: I just read your story and it sends shivers down my spine. I've seen a possum up close (thru a window) twice and those darn things look like GIANT rats with long yellow teeth and long claws. OMG I would have levitated too, right into the car and locked the doors behind me! Wow, what a story.

Old 12-15-2010, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boardjnky4 View Post
I would use a trap. Why would you want a dead mouse stinking up your attic?
will one dead mouse stink up an attic? I just figured they'd be small and rot away to nothing. I'll look into traps, though. I just didn't want to deal with going up and down to remove the dang rodent!

Old 12-15-2010, 09:25 AM

1,188 posts, read 2,546,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HS_DUDE View Post
will one dead mouse stink up an attic? I just figured they'd be small and rot away to nothing. I'll look into traps, though. I just didn't want to deal with going up and down to remove the dang rodent!
hah! I don't really know. I just assumed it would. They have traps now where you don't even see the mouse at all once it's trapped. You just look for the indicator on top to say "trapped" and then put the whole thing in the trash. Not gross at all.

I tried a few of the old fashioned ones under my sink with chocolate attached to it. 2 weeks later I checked it and the damn chocolate was gone!!

Old 12-15-2010, 11:00 AM

yeah I'm going to look into the disposable trap you mention. Sounds good to me!

Old 10-06-2016, 03:29 PM

1 posts, read 689 times
I am hearing scratching and light bumping noises in my wall and ceiling, been going on for over 2 months, usually in the afternoon and sometimes early in the morning. I had two exterminators come, the first one could hear the noises but said he couldn't figure out what it was. He laid traps in the attic, nothing caught and the scratching continued. The second rodent guy came yesterday, said the house is sealed, he couldn't see any trails or other indication of rodents and thinks my AC pipes coming from the outside unit are making the scratching noises in my wall. He didn't charge for the opinion, but i'm skeptical that is what is going on. I can't believe my AC pipe work could make that kind of noise but I've had two exterminators out and they can't figure out what it is. Maybe i'm haunted?

Old 10-06-2016, 03:36 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,809,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJMHouston View Post
I am hearing scratching and light bumping noises in my wall and ceiling, been going on for over 2 months, usually in the afternoon and sometimes early in the morning. I had two exterminators come, the first one could hear the noises but said he couldn't figure out what it was. He laid traps in the attic, nothing caught and the scratching continued. The second rodent guy came yesterday, said the house is sealed, he couldn't see any trails or other indication of rodents and thinks my AC pipes coming from the outside unit are making the scratching noises in my wall. He didn't charge for the opinion, but i'm skeptical that is what is going on. I can't believe my AC pipe work could make that kind of noise but I've had two exterminators out and they can't figure out what it is. Maybe i'm haunted?
Check where your dryer vents to outside. We had this going on and discovered a bird nesting in the vent.

Old 10-06-2016, 03:59 PM

269 posts, read 321,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post

Now, with that clarifying info, can someone recommend a pest control person (or a good company) that can take care of this for me?
Try these guys....
Raleigh Animal Removal & Pest Control | Triangle
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary