Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 06:11 AM

3,950 posts, read 5,086,255 times

Advertisements

Conceptionally U-Verse is ill conceived, in my extremely humble opinion, because what people I know really want is fiber to the home. Most of my friends who come down to visit me from Maryland fall head-over-heels in love with my new home town of Wake Forest but I can see the disappointment in their faces when I tell them we don’t have anything like Fios here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2010, 07:41 AM

4,261 posts, read 4,706,148 times
Verizon's cost per household to install FIOS is significantly higher than AT&T's cost per household to install U-Verse. Cost does matter. Verizon is capital-constrained and their deployment of FIOS will be limited; it's not a coincidence that Verizon divested Durham. Also, Verizon will ultimately have higher per-household revenue requirements... or Verizon shareholders will take a bath. All other things being equal, I'd prefer to have FIOS myself but it will take a number of years to see whether the Verizon strategy or the AT&T strategy worked out better.

Old 12-25-2010, 03:52 PM

76 posts, read 120,985 times
We had an AT&T rep knock on our door this week offering U-verse.
We're in North Raleigh, south of 540.

When we moved to our new home 6 months ago, the U-verse website said they couldn't provide that service to our home.
I couldn't even get regular AT&T high speed internet so we had to opt for Clear, which is pretty lousy and unreliable, but not as irritating a company as TWC.
With Clear, we get 3 bars 99% of the time but any rain/cloudy weather screws it right up to 1 bar or less for many hours or the whole day.

We signed up for U-verse there and then, with a great no contract deal at similar money to Clear.
Rep said AT&T products are great but operations end of AT&T is terrible.

Old 12-26-2010, 12:53 AM

206 posts, read 596,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzmeister View Post
Conceptionally U-Verse is ill conceived, in my extremely humble opinion, because what people I know really want is fiber to the home.
Uverse is FTTC and copper is extremely fast for that short distance.

Old 12-26-2010, 07:03 AM

9,144 posts, read 14,753,437 times
Actually uverse is fiber to the big box and copper VDSL from there. We have fiber to the curb in most of our neighborhood except for about a dozen or so houses that were put in early, before Bellsouth started fiber to the curb in the 2005 ish time frame. Those dozen houses can get Uverse and all the rest can't. Evidently they have a plan to do uverse in fiber that involves ripping out the pedestal every few houses that converts the fiber to copper for the final connection and replacing it but ram into snags and have halted deployments in those areas.

Old 01-03-2011, 04:36 PM

1 posts, read 1,162 times
So near and yet so far.

I am near the back of Westlake subdivision off of Leesville, bordering Kingsland sub. I have been spot checking u-verse availability by entering nearby addresses. The house less than 200 feet behind me in Kingsland has had uverse for over a year. Several houses near the front of Westlake have had uverse for over a year. But I have not seen it advance down the street beyond where it was a year ago. I have TW RR and Cable. RR is pretty reliable but I hate the TW DVR box. It is slow and unreliable. I am about ready to throw in the towel on uverse and see if I can get Dish or DirecTV. The trees around my house may not allow that, however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary