Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2007, 10:22 AM

47 posts, read 254,664 times

Advertisements

My family and I will be moving to the area at the beginning of August and will need a short term rental. We're having a home built in Hillsborough but it won't be finished until mid-fall. Since we have two children in school we'd like to be there at the beginning of the school year (before the house is done) and would like to find a place nearby. But we're having difficulty finding anyone who will rent month-to-month or do a short-term lease. Does anyone have any info on where we might find something like this?

One problem with living anywhere outside the Orange County school district is that we may have to pay a transfer fee for our children to attend the OC school. But I still have to look into whether they can make an exception in a case like this.

Thanks for any suggestions you may have!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2007, 11:48 AM
RWT

3 posts, read 14,818 times
paisleysea, my family & I are also moving to Hillsborough in early August. We too are having a house built (in Churton Grove). We are considering an apartment in town called Patriot Pointe. They will do 3, 5 or 6 month leases. The 5 or less will cost extra.

Have you checked into how to get your kids into the right school for the year without transfering after your home is finished?

Old 06-20-2007, 12:21 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,234,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWT View Post
paisleysea, my family & I are also moving to Hillsborough in early August. We too are having a house built (in Churton Grove). We are considering an apartment in town called Patriot Pointe. They will do 3, 5 or 6 month leases. The 5 or less will cost extra.

Have you checked into how to get your kids into the right school for the year without transfering after your home is finished?

We had no problem doing it last fall in the exact same situation ( renting at Heritage Apartments, right down the road from Patriot Pointe, while our Churton Grove home was being built)

Just talk to the principal, bring a copy of your contract to build and that was it, we were able to enroll our kids in Cameron Park so we didn't have to change schools in January when our house was done. You will have to drive your kids obviously as they won't provide bus service.

If you don't already know the schools for Churton Grove are Cameron Park Elementary ( terrific school, don't go by appearances) Stanford Middle School and Orange High School.

Old 06-20-2007, 01:12 PM
RWT

bluedevilz, thanks for the info. We have exchanged some PT's in the past. I got the job at Duke and I'm looking forward moving to NC. How was Heritage apts? Did you build with Beazer or Drees? We are going with Drees due to the paln and the lot they have.

Old 06-20-2007, 01:27 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,234,079 times
Quote:
bluedevilz, thanks for the info. We have exchanged some PT's in the past. I got the job at Duke and I'm looking forward moving to NC. How was Heritage apts? Did you build with Beazer or Drees? We are going with Drees due to the paln and the lot they have.

Hey RWT

We went with Drees, also liked the variety of plans and changes you could make. We have been in our home for 6 months now and love it here. Absolutely terrific neighborhood and town.

Heritage was OK, we had a 6 month lease on a "corporate apt", which was really just 2 apts joined together. We stored all our stuff in one 1/2 and lived in the other. It worked out fine, but its an apartment.....we couldn't/wouldn't let the kids out to play, was near the highway ( as is Patriot Pointe) so kind of noisy and usual transient apartment types living there...not ideal with 3 young kids but we survived

Old 06-20-2007, 03:49 PM

Thanks for the info on the apartments. I'm afraid we may have to go that route. Not really ideal for us with 3 little kids and a husband working from home. This is why we were looking in Chapel Hill (more options), as well, but we were told that if we lived in the CHCC district that we'd have to pay a transfer fee to attend Cameron Park.

We're also moving to Churton Grove - house was supposed to be finished by August but we *didn't* go with Drees and I'm sure wishing we had now. The only reason we chose the other builder was because we didn't like any of the lots that Drees had left.

So, RWT, when is your house going to be ready in Churton Grove?

Old 07-12-2007, 07:34 PM
RWT

Hadn't been back here in awile. We've been busy getting ready. We visited Churton Grove July 2&3 and finalized our plans to build. We selected lot 91 and think its just going to ge great. They should finish building in Dec. or Jan. We decided on patriot Pointe Apt. and should be arriving in NC mid-August. I hope to be able to drop by the pool and have the kids meet some of the future neighbors before school starts.

Old 07-12-2007, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Hadn't been back here in awile. We've been busy getting ready. We visited Churton Grove July 2&3 and finalized our plans to build. We selected lot 91 and think its just going to ge great. They should finish building in Dec. or Jan. We decided on patriot Pointe Apt. and should be arriving in NC mid-August. I hope to be able to drop by the pool and have the kids meet some of the future neighbors before school starts.
Well, we'll see you there! We're renting at Patriot's Pointe as well - arriving in about 2 weeks. Small town, eh?

Old 07-13-2007, 07:39 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,091,054 times
If you have a signed contract for building your home, you shouldn't have a problem getting your kids into the schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary