Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 08:10 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,034,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacredgrooves View Post
Anywhere near Holly Springs, Cary, Apex? I would love to send my kids to Cary Academy but at upwards of 20k a kid that isnt going to happen lol. I would be interested in hearing about other less expensive schools though. Any thoughts?
I went to carolina friends school in durham (a long long time ago!!!) now the tuition for high school is 13,500

There is a school in cary called cary christian school, and I don't know anything about it, but the tuition is around 5500/year

And north raleigh christian academy (which I have heard good things about from friends) is 6200 year.

leigh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2007, 09:29 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,108,254 times
Unfortunately I have NOT heard such good things about RCA. For one, I have heard that their discipline policy is over the top. We actually neighbors who withdrew their children from RCA when the principal insisted that the parents come to school "on their lunch break" to spank their child in front of the administrative staff. The second issue was our neighbors who had their 3 children there for seven years. The father was National Guard and called for active duty several years ago after 9-11 and sent to Afghanistan. Their salalry was cut by 50% and RCA refused to cut them any sort of finincial deal while her husband was away, even though they had already been at the school for 7 consecutive years. They had to drop out of RCA, go to public school and eventually moved to TN. You would THINK that out of everyone at that school, they could have raised the funds to keep those 3 children there while their father was at war.

Old 07-11-2007, 09:37 PM

129 posts, read 671,218 times
response to Desdemona123:
not all parents of children that attend private school expect their child to attend college and I disagree with your comment ,"unlike all parents of children at even the best public schools." Just because someone can send a child to private school does not mean these are the values they instill in their children...there are many factors that ensures the success of children in school(parents, schools, friends, community and teachers). My daughter graduated from a very nice private school in Florida because she preferred a small environment and more one on one, my son prefers a charter school and does well...every child is different and children can be successful in any environment ( I grew up in a poor neighborhood in NY and attended NYU for a Masters degree). Just wanted to share my view on this...it is a choice . [

Old 07-12-2007, 05:00 AM

823 posts, read 3,923,062 times
I found that comment about RCA rather disturbing so I investigated and found this in the elementary handbook on the RCA website,

"PHILOSOPHY OF DISCIPLINE
Discipline is a balance of love and control. Discipline and order are necessary to the
Christian, traditional educational process. Our faculty strives to provide love and special
attention to each individual student. A subject can be taught without classroom
discipline, but a subject is less likely to be learned under such conditions.
It is our philosophy that if a teacher is to be respected by his students, the teacher must
have the authority to handle matters of discipline. We do not believe that God’s Word
gives the church (including our school as a ministry) the authority for physical discipline
of children. That authority belongs to the parents.
DISCIPLINE SYSTEM
It is the policy of this school to notify parents whenever corporal discipline is necessary.
It is our philosophy that if a teacher is to be respected by his students, he must have the
authority to handle matters of discipline. We do not believe that God’s Word gives the
church (including our school as a ministry) the authority for physical discipline of
children. That authority belongs in the hands of the parents. Therefore, when it is
determined that a paddling is in order for misbehavior, a parent will be called to come in
and administer the paddling within 60 minutes of the phone call. If the parent does not
come in, the student will be suspended from school until a parent does come in and
resolve the problem.
There are four reasons we will require parents to come in to paddle their child for the first
occurrence. They are as follows:
1. Fighting with another student.
2. Willfully being disrespectful, defiant, or continually disobedient to a teacher.
3. Willfully being destructive of the church’s property or another child’s property.
4. Cursing or using language in such a way that it is offcolor
or suggestive.
In the event that a parent is needed for a second discipline occurrence within the same
day, the administration reserves the right to take whatever disciplinary action they deem
necessary.
In K5
through 5th grade all discipline problems will be handled as follows:
1. All paddlings will be administered by parents.
2. A witness will be present if requested.
3. All paddlings will take place in the privacy of an office or secluded area—not in
the classrooms, hallways, or restrooms."

I certainly wouldn't want my child there but they do have their policy laid out for parents of prospective parents. (Parents be warned: read the handbook of any school before signing up!)

Old 07-12-2007, 08:03 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,088,319 times
Many have financial aid, clockwork, but you have to ask! Finding the right public school is important to us because 98% of the reason we would be moving down there is financial (lower cost of living). I'd hate to take what we've saved on housing and throw it towards private school if we can find a public school system that works for us.

Old 07-12-2007, 08:50 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,165,555 times
You'll be paying for public education, why not give it a try. You may be pleasantly surprised.

My daughter went to Athens Drive and son went to Millbrook. Both got good educations there.

There are several cliques in the schools. If you watch your kids and their friends, you should be able to guide them accordingly.

Millbrook HS had a bad rep. My son was even in a Bible study group that met after school there.

Check out the public schools before blowing your budget.

Old 07-12-2007, 09:09 AM

275 posts, read 1,114,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alice_61 View Post
I found that comment about RCA rather disturbing so I investigated and found this in the elementary handbook on the RCA website,

"PHILOSOPHY OF DISCIPLINE
Discipline is a balance of love and control. Discipline and order are necessary to the
Christian, traditional educational process. Our faculty strives to provide love and special
attention to each individual student. A subject can be taught without classroom
discipline, but a subject is less likely to be learned under such conditions.
It is our philosophy that if a teacher is to be respected by his students, the teacher must
have the authority to handle matters of discipline. We do not believe that God’s Word
gives the church (including our school as a ministry) the authority for physical discipline
of children. That authority belongs to the parents.
DISCIPLINE SYSTEM
It is the policy of this school to notify parents whenever corporal discipline is necessary.
It is our philosophy that if a teacher is to be respected by his students, he must have the
authority to handle matters of discipline. We do not believe that God’s Word gives the
church (including our school as a ministry) the authority for physical discipline of
children. That authority belongs in the hands of the parents. Therefore, when it is
determined that a paddling is in order for misbehavior, a parent will be called to come in
and administer the paddling within 60 minutes of the phone call. If the parent does not
come in, the student will be suspended from school until a parent does come in and
resolve the problem.
There are four reasons we will require parents to come in to paddle their child for the first
occurrence. They are as follows:
1. Fighting with another student.
2. Willfully being disrespectful, defiant, or continually disobedient to a teacher.
3. Willfully being destructive of the church’s property or another child’s property.
4. Cursing or using language in such a way that it is offcolor
or suggestive.
In the event that a parent is needed for a second discipline occurrence within the same
day, the administration reserves the right to take whatever disciplinary action they deem
necessary.
In K5
through 5th grade all discipline problems will be handled as follows:
1. All paddlings will be administered by parents.
2. A witness will be present if requested.
3. All paddlings will take place in the privacy of an office or secluded area—not in
the classrooms, hallways, or restrooms."

I certainly wouldn't want my child there but they do have their policy laid out for parents of prospective parents. (Parents be warned: read the handbook of any school before signing up!)
That is so disturbing to me. Can you imagine getting the call, "Mrs. so & so, please come in and paddle your child." They "require" you to paddle them..uh, I don't think so...I think I hear the story & decide what discipline is required for my child. I do spank when necessary, but I don't paddle!

My eyes have been opened...thanks!

Old 07-12-2007, 09:36 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,088,319 times
Wow, no WAY would I send my child to RCA!

Old 07-12-2007, 10:54 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,165,555 times
I'd take Millbrook first. We did and were pleased.

Old 07-12-2007, 01:05 PM

35 posts, read 106,461 times
There are two different schools - North Raleigh Christian Academy and Raleigh Christian Academy. Please do not confuse them, there is no paddling at NRCA.

NRCA has a wonderful, academic and loving atmosphere. The campus (K-12) is amazing! I would highly recommend it.

I have no experience with RCA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary