Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 11:36 AM

406 posts, read 786,105 times

Advertisements

I regret moving to this area; however it is my fault not the area's.

*I should spent more than a few days exploring the area before I (we) decided to
move here.

*I should have done more "hands on research" about the cost of living and prevailant wages.
(very different from home state)

*I should not believed that the area was 'recession proof'.
//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...ate-drops.html

*I should have not underestimated how hard it was going to be leaving family and friends and
to make all new business contacts.

Just my perspective... I hope it helps prospective tranplants. Your mileage will vary.

Old 01-07-2011, 12:28 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,783,339 times
where did you relocate from.

Old 01-08-2011, 09:52 AM

Michigan

Old 01-08-2011, 10:13 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,671,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjsluvskaz View Post
Michigan
I know three teachers, not in Triangle, but in Eastern NC that are from Michigan, and all are pining to return. Is it the water?

Old 01-08-2011, 11:14 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,148,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjsluvskaz View Post
I regret moving to this area; however it is my fault not the area's.

*I should spent more than a few days exploring the area before I (we) decided to
move here.

*I should have done more "hands on research" about the cost of living and prevailant wages.
(very different from home state)

*I should not believed that the area was 'recession proof'.
//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...ate-drops.html

*I should have not underestimated how hard it was going to be leaving family and friends and
to make all new business contacts.

Just my perspective... I hope it helps prospective tranplants. Your mileage will vary.
Well said. This IS the reality.

Vicki

Old 01-08-2011, 06:39 PM

2 posts, read 2,859 times
I am a nurse who moved her 2 years ago and still hating it. i really miss my friends and family from up north and the weather here sucks. i have met a few good friends but not enough to make me want to stay. i regret buying a home because the market seemed so great at the time. i can't wait to sell my house and move.

Old 01-09-2011, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadinep12 View Post
I am a nurse who moved her 2 years ago and still hating it. i really miss my friends and family from up north and the weather here sucks. i have met a few good friends but not enough to make me want to stay. i regret buying a home because the market seemed so great at the time. i can't wait to sell my house and move.
We are moving back home in the spring; at least now you know what is important to you. Good Luck

Old 01-10-2011, 03:44 AM

41 posts, read 58,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadinep12 View Post
Can you share more what is wrong with the weather in your eyes? I am living in FL but am from up north so I have both views of extremes so I thought NC would be more a middle ground?

Old 01-10-2011, 04:05 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,066,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
I know three teachers, not in Triangle, but in Eastern NC that are from Michigan, and all are pining to return. Is it the water?
This teacher is tired of the environment in MI--both physically and mentally.
Maybe I need to look harder for a reason not to stay? I suppose for some people
"HOME IS WHERE HE HEART IS"

Last edited by zthatzmanz28; 01-10-2011 at 04:24 AM..

Old 01-10-2011, 06:57 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,835,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
How do you explain Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, Tampa, Indy, Columbus, OH??

So true, Silverbox. I have never understood why people expect to find the same amenities and attractions (museums, restaurants, etc.) in an area with a lower cost of living. One of the reasons why cities have a higher cost of living is because of all the infrastructure and amenities. It's only logical that a city with a lower cost of living is not going to have the multitude of things to do that you find in larger, more expensive cities. To expect Raleigh to provide the same level of activities as one would find in Boston, Chicago or NY is simply ridiculous. If Raleigh could provide that, the cost of living wouldn't be cheaper. It's a trade off that some people unfortunately fail to realize before moving.
[/quote]

It's a fantasy- the new place will have all the "good stuff" and none of the bad. If you want world class extertainment jobs & attractions, with that come huge hordes of people who want the same things. Then comes congestion & high prices.
To be happy anywhere you have to "step outside yourself" and be brutally honest about the trade offs. Because there will always be tradeoffs, anywhere.
We are a suburban family, raising kids. This place is amazing for us. As a retiree I don't think I would be as happy as my parents are on Long Island, with their constant cultural events in NYC, beach trips, and close circle of lifelong friends within a few minutes' drive. But we are years away from that. I don't know where my kids will end up living, or what we will want as a retirement so it is too early to worry about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary