Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 12:22 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,095,324 times

Advertisements

Unfortunately, the minister made reference to the crazies. Should have been left unsaid.

Old 12-11-2010, 12:51 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,243,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
Unfortunately, the minister made reference to the crazies. Should have been left unsaid.
The minister did not call them by name so those that have no knowledge of them, never knew. For all people knew, the minister could have been referring to the media. It was a GREAT SERVICE. It was about Elizabeth, not about anything else. I believe the minister did what he thought appropriate. Not for anyone else to judge.

Vicki

Old 12-11-2010, 12:56 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times
I'm glad I watched the service. Was raised Methodist but don't attend services anymore. the old hymns were ingrained in me. I was worried about Cate's sleeveless dress tho. She must have been freezing.

Old 12-11-2010, 01:31 PM

I believe the minister said something about Jesus would not be happy with what people were doing in his name. I don't think the media was doing anything in Jesus's name.

This news was not aired only in Raleigh. The service and the Westboro church were top stories in national broadcast TV news and on national news web sites, such as CNN, in the past 24 hours.

I think anyone listening to the minister knew exactly to whom he was referring.

Unfortunately.

Quote:
The minister did not call them by name so those that have no knowledge of them, never knew. For all people knew, the minister could have been referring to the media. It was a GREAT SERVICE. It was about Elizabeth, not about anything else. I believe the minister did what he thought appropriate. Not for anyone else to judge.

Vicki

Old 12-11-2010, 01:48 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,824,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
The minister did not call them by name so those that have no knowledge of them, never knew. For all people knew, the minister could have been referring to the media. It was a GREAT SERVICE. It was about Elizabeth, not about anything else. I believe the minister did what he thought appropriate.
The one part of the service that I think went beyond "being about Elizabeth" was that woman who sang "Amazing Grace" as if she were Patti LaBelle--she sang/wailed it like she would a solo at a concert, not in a respectful way, and I found it very self-centered and vulgar for a funeral. Otherwise, it was a nice service and I agree that the vague reference to those who use religion in the wrong ways could have meant many groups.
Quote:
I believe the minister said something about Jesus would not be happy with what people were doing in his name. I don't think the media was doing anything in Jesus's name.
Actually, lbw, Westboro rarely says things in "Jesus's name"--it's always God's name. Their signs say "GOD HATES F&GS" and "GOD HATES YOU" and "GOD HATES [fill in the blank]". I have followed this group for many years (back when they "only" picketed funerals of those who died of AIDS) and there's not much "Jesus" in this "church", just the "hellfire and brimstone" version of God.

But I do think that while the reference clearly had WBC in mind, it could also refer to many others in the political world who have turned their "religion" into politics. I don't think it was a distraction from the rest of the funeral because that elephant was certainly in the living room. He mentioned it very briefly and moved on.

Old 12-11-2010, 01:59 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,928,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
The one part of the service that I think went beyond "being about Elizabeth" was that woman who sang "Amazing Grace" as if she were Patti LaBelle--she sang/wailed it like she would a solo at a concert, not in a respectful way, and I found it very self-centered and vulgar for a funeral.
I thought the same. I personally like that song done in the more traditional manner....especially in a funeral.

Old 12-11-2010, 02:16 PM

I love to hear Gospel music, but I agree that rendition was a bit much.

The most amusing part of the service was when the mike was still on right before the first minister began to speak, and near the end of the song, he sang with the choir.

He should not sing with the choir. Not ever.

I'm sure Elizabeth would be the first to say, "It's all all right! Nothing's perfect!"

In all, it was a beautiful service. I'm glad they aired it, and I'm glad the family allowed it to be aired.

(And I can't recall if the minister said "God's work" or "Jesus's work." I remember the concept but not which one of them. Could have been God.)

Last edited by lovebrentwood; 12-11-2010 at 03:00 PM..

Old 12-11-2010, 02:26 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times
If I asked that Amazing Grace be sung at my funeral and that woman sang it THAT way I would come back and haunt her forever. I was cringing with ...something. It was very inappropriate. It took me awhile to even figure out what she was singing then I said "Are you kidding?......."

Old 12-11-2010, 03:17 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,243,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
If I asked that Amazing Grace be sung at my funeral and that woman sang it THAT way I would come back and haunt her forever. I was cringing with ...something. It was very inappropriate. It took me awhile to even figure out what she was singing then I said "Are you kidding?......."
I agree. "Amazing Grace" is one of my favorites but I like it sung the original way! If it ain't broke...don't fix it!

Vicki

Old 12-11-2010, 03:53 PM

6,824 posts, read 9,058,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
The one part of the service that I think went beyond "being about Elizabeth" was that woman who sang "Amazing Grace" as if she were Patti LaBelle--she sang/wailed it like she would a solo at a concert, not in a respectful way, and I found it very self-centered and vulgar for a funeral. Otherwise, it was a nice service and I agree that the vague reference to those who use religion in the wrong ways could have meant many groups.
I don't know if the singer was black or white, but I wonder if this is a cultural thing? I was raised in a really stuffy formal Christian church that did allow hymns but not anything too exuberant The first time I went to an African American church I was amazed at how effusive they were with their singing. I thought it was kind of fun.

In New Orleans they turn funerals into a party. Maybe this woman was just trying to do the same?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary