Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you find there is plenty to do in this area?
Yes 40 65.57%
No 21 34.43%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 09:42 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,071,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
I'm in a my early 40s, but young at heart.
I find that there is a LOT to do in the area lately. I get invites all the time on Facebook for interesting events that I'm just too busy to attend. For instance, last night there was a great Christmas Party show at the Cat's Cradle, but weather and work the next morning made me decide to stay in.

This year, off the top of my head, I've attended SPARKcon, Hopscotch, Troika, Raleigh Wide Open, Artsplosure, Spring Daze, several college football and basketball games, Durham Bulls, concerts in small clubs, concerts in larger venues, Wicked at DPAC, nice meals out in Raleigh, nice meals out in Durham, numerous First Fridays, various gallery openings, fashion shows, nights out drinking, hiked, biked, paddled and sailed at local parks, greenways and lakes, various meetups with photography groups in the area, and classes by local art councils.

Read The Independent, get on Facebook and "Like" a lot of venues, etc. to find out what is going on, check out classes taught by Wake Tech, Raleigh, Durham Art Council, etc., read various blogs like New Raleigh, join meetup groups for things that interest you.

At first, I was reading your post and saying, what the heck is SPARKcon, Hopscotch, Troika? After doing a search, these look awesome. I love music and it looks like alot of fun including all the other things you listed. I had to Google other events that other posters have listed too so I could see what they were. I must say there definately a variety of things to do, alot I've never heard of before.

I have a question about the groups that play at these events. I know it's a mix of genre's, but is it the groups own music or cover music?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2010, 09:55 AM

596 posts, read 1,240,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
What if your kids are grown? Are there activites that aren't just geared towards kids for ppl in their early 40's?
That the situation we are in mid 50's kids grown and out etc. hard to meet people in which we have things in common !

Old 12-17-2010, 09:58 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,289,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajnucch View Post
That the situation we are in mid 50's kids grown and out etc. hard to meet people in which we have things in common !
My wife and I are only in our mid thirties, but we like to go to wine tasting events at various wine stores in the area and I notice the crowd is usually a little older with some people our age mixed in.

Old 12-17-2010, 10:32 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,472,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nervous_in_new_england View Post
I hate to break it to you, but there is a whole country out there with states that have jobs for you. It's silly to stay in area you clearly don't like just so you can live at home. You have plenty of options, you just need to see them yourself.

. . . Now back to the regularly scheduled thread.
You don't know my whole situation and it costs money to move out of state. Money I don't have since I have been living with hardly enough to eat for the past year. I don't' plan to live there forever but its my only option. Just because you don't like something doesn't mean its not what you have to do, I hate to break it to you.

Old 12-19-2010, 07:46 AM

3,395 posts, read 7,773,458 times
Quote:
I have a question about the groups that play at these events. I know it's a mix of genre's, but is it the groups own music or cover music?
Most were originals. SPARKcon had some bands doing covers (I remember seeing a Johnny Cash tribute), but Troika and Hopscotch were entirely original.

Old 12-21-2010, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Most were originals. SPARKcon had some bands doing covers (I remember seeing a Johnny Cash tribute), but Troika and Hopscotch were entirely original.
Do they have events with cover bands that you know of?

Old 12-22-2010, 08:22 AM

3,395 posts, read 7,773,458 times
Raleigh Wide Open may have some cover bands play during it. I've seen a surf rock cover band at Artsplosure before (and the Blues artists at Artsplosure also generally play some covers).

I think the Lincoln Theater still does an annual Monsters of Mock where they have a big stage outdoors and have numerous tributes bands all afternoon/evening (Zeppelin, AC/DC, GnR, etc).

I'm generally more excited about the creative original music that the local bands are producing than hearing yet another cover.

Old 12-22-2010, 08:50 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,645,432 times
Quote:
Do they have events with cover bands that you know of?
I'm not a huge fan of cover bands, but I do know that some music venues in Raleigh do host cover bands. Lincoln Theater has some that come through, and local cover bands play at other venues as well.

I don't know of any events that specifically are built on cover bands. Most of the bigger events have bands that perform their original music. There is a pretty good local music scene in this area.

Old 12-22-2010, 09:11 AM

247 posts, read 452,407 times
Barely in the 18-29 category, but still in so it counts!

I'm married with two young children and I have been nothing but pleased with activities for our family here.

Old 12-22-2010, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Raleigh Wide Open may have some cover bands play during it. I've seen a surf rock cover band at Artsplosure before (and the Blues artists at Artsplosure also generally play some covers).

I think the Lincoln Theater still does an annual Monsters of Mock where they have a big stage outdoors and have numerous tributes bands all afternoon/evening (Zeppelin, AC/DC, GnR, etc).

I'm generally more excited about the creative original music that the local bands are producing than hearing yet another cover.
Yup, that's the stuff we like. (classic rock, 70's and 80's)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary