Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 08:09 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,576,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbywan View Post
Many of us have relocated to this area from other parts of the country and many are also used to long commutes, by car.well i would suggest that you move to a place near your new job. Seriously gasoline is going to be an issue sooner than later. heck as soon as this fall if a big hurricane sweeps thru the gulf or an attack on Iran ocurs. 4 ,5 dollar a gallon gasoline IF you can get it??

I may sound doom and gloom but if you are picking up stakes from another part of the country understand there is NO Mass transportation down here!
Dude, how many people stay at one company for more then a few years? If I recall correctly you're an educator (we tangled once before regarding NJ educators) and so you can count on long term gigs. However for the majority of the working class who don't have tenure to protect us it's foolish to buy a house primarily because it's near a job.

And in Raleigh nothing is really too far away.

Oh and one more thing, you've tossed the gas price hype around these forums before, maybe it's time for a new set of scare rhetoric.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2007, 08:24 PM

7,573 posts, read 10,620,439 times
Quote:
Many of us have relocated to this area from other parts of the country and many are also used to long commutes, by car.well i would suggest that you move to a place near your new job. Seriously gasoline is going to be an issue sooner than later. heck as soon as this fall if a big hurricane sweeps thru the gulf or an attack on Iran ocurs. 4 ,5 dollar a gallon gasoline IF you can get it??

I may sound doom and gloom but if you are picking up stakes from another part of the country understand there is NO Mass transportation down here!
This thread sounds very familiar. Well, Urbywan, not everything is cut and dry as you are making it out to be. Some of us are on a budget and need to relocate to an area where there is more house and land for our money, speaking for myself, that is. I think my question to you is, what is your agenda? Why is it so important for you to steer all of us away from any type of commute? Is this true concern on your part? If so, then you really need to understand that everyone has a unique situation. I live in a good size home in Northern New Jersey, family of 6, and my work commute is approximately 30-35 minutes. One of the reasons for my commute is 10 years ago we were able to purchase a house in Northern Passaic County, where anything closer to work, say Bergen County where I grew up, was financially impossible. That said, when we relocate to NC, we would like to purchase the home we desire, at the price that we can afford, and if that means a longer commute, then so be it.

Old 07-12-2007, 08:47 PM

709 posts, read 935,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
Dude, how many people stay at one company for more then a few years? If I recall correctly you're an educator (we tangled once before regarding NJ educators) and so you can count on long term gigs. However for the majority of the working class who don't have tenure to protect us it's foolish to buy a house primarily because it's near a job.

And in Raleigh nothing is really too far away.

Oh and one more thing, you've tossed the gas price hype around these forums before, maybe it's time for a new set of scare rhetoric.
Nothing in raleigh is too far? Uh Clayton to RTP is almost 50 miles each way with no mass transportation. I have no real agenda, I am only writing some thoughts. If most on this forum still believe gasoline and oil will be here in mass quantities at cheap prices well I guess there are still many who also believe in the tooth fairy.

It is 2007 and this country continues to build suburban communities that have little or no mass transit. Sorry but this is crazy. In the face of what is happening around the world to believe moving to Raleigh and saying everything is wonderful is just stupid. look around what do you see? Cars everyplace, not a train anyplace, and oil from countries that hate us. Makes alot of sense.

Old 07-12-2007, 08:50 PM

709 posts, read 935,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeannie216 View Post
This thread sounds very familiar. Well, Urbywan, not everything is cut and dry as you are making it out to be. Some of us are on a budget and need to relocate to an area where there is more house and land for our money, speaking for myself, that is. I think my question to you is, what is your agenda? Why is it so important for you to steer all of us away from any type of commute? Is this true concern on your part? If so, then you really need to understand that everyone has a unique situation. I live in a good size home in Northern New Jersey, family of 6, and my work commute is approximately 30-35 minutes. One of the reasons for my commute is 10 years ago we were able to purchase a house in Northern Passaic County, where anything closer to work, say Bergen County where I grew up, was financially impossible. That said, when we relocate to NC, we would like to purchase the home we desire, at the price that we can afford, and if that means a longer commute, then so be it.
But that said many places in the triangle have housing that is affordable. No reason to have a long commute. when I hear oh I loved say Flowers plantation east of claton but I work near Durham I think that makes absolutly no sense since there are wonderful affordable neighborhoods near Durham!!

Oh your commute from Passaic County in Nj to Bergen County, you do have mass transit and COULD take a bus. Cannot really do that anyplace down here except in carrboro/ Chapel hill.

Old 07-12-2007, 09:08 PM

7,573 posts, read 10,620,439 times
Quote:
But that said many places in the triangle have housing that is affordable. No reason to have a long commute. when I hear oh I loved say Flowers plantation east of claton but I work near Durham I think that makes absolutly no sense since there are wonderful affordable neighborhoods near Durham!!
Wonderful and affordable in your eyes may be different in someone elses. A long commute in your eyes is a wonderful scenic drive to work to someone else. Durham may hold a great job opportunity for someone, but Flowers in Clayton, well that is where their affordable dreamhouse is. How about the different school systems? Should I sacrifice in what I believe is the best education for my children so I can spend a bit less money on gas? Everything needs to be taken into account with a relocation.

Old 07-12-2007, 09:13 PM

125 posts, read 530,169 times
Quote:
Nothing in raleigh is too far? Uh Clayton to RTP is almost 50 miles each way with no mass transportation. I have no real agenda, I am only writing some thoughts. If most on this forum still believe gasoline and oil will be here in mass quantities at cheap prices well I guess there are still many who also believe in the tooth fairy.

It is 2007 and this country continues to build suburban communities that have little or no mass transit. Sorry but this is crazy. In the face of what is happening around the world to believe moving to Raleigh and saying everything is wonderful is just stupid. look around what do you see? Cars everyplace, not a train anyplace, and oil from countries that hate us. Makes alot of sense.
Maybe you are watching a little too much bill mahr ? Did he just rant about oil or something, and got ya going ?

I think you make a point, but lets look at the nitty gritty - If you live only 5 miles away from your job that = 10 miles a day commute, taking the avg of gas mileage for cars today that is 25mpg - that = about $6.00 a week for gas @ 3.00 a gallon. Someone who lives 15 miles away from their job = a 30 mile commute everyday which = $18.00 a week in gas.. really.. this is such a small expense difference, i think there are better things to worry about, especially if it means living somewhere you like, outside of town.

I think we all understand that we dont know what the future holds as far as gas goes. But have you ever taken public transportation as your main transport to work? I could be wrong but i doubt you ever have. Most other people wont take it either. Mainly because it SUCKS

If gas becomes so outrageously priced, then and only then will people start REALLY changing their habits (speaking generally). But in my opinion we'll have come up with practical solutions to oil far before that happens. Full hydrogen engines are predicted by 2015..

Old 07-12-2007, 09:47 PM

161 posts, read 559,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prius109 View Post
But have you ever taken public transportation as your main transport to work? I could be wrong but i doubt you ever have. Most other people wont take it either. Mainly because it SUCKS
Actually, I really miss public transportation! Talk about down time and relaxing... I read tons of books just commuting to and from work. In bad weather I never had to worry about being on the roads. It is cheaper than long commutes here, and my carbon footprint was much lower. Often I would run into some of my neighbors on the way in or out, so in addition to all the other benefits, I enjoyed the social time as well.

Mass transit is faster. Several years ago New York Magazine ran an article about how the top transit officials use limos and hired drivers (who are paid even though they are idle all day). The magazine did a study where they travelled between the officials' homes and offices by both car and train/subway during peak and non-peak hours. Mass transit was faster 100% of the time.

In regions with a good transportation system, property values appreciate much faster in neighborhoods and towns that are convenient to train lines, since those places are much more desirable.

Last edited by grifter; 07-12-2007 at 10:17 PM..

Old 07-13-2007, 01:24 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,286,677 times
Quote:
Nothing in raleigh is too far? Uh Clayton to RTP is almost 50 miles each way with no mass transportation.
Am I missing something here? When did Clayton become a part of Raleigh? These are two different municipalities located in two different counties.

I think we can all agree short commutes are a positive thing, but I beleive this topic as stated in the original post is better suited for a general forum as it is hardly an issue unique or specific to the Triangle Area.

Last edited by North_Raleigh_Guy; 07-13-2007 at 01:43 AM..

Old 07-13-2007, 03:46 AM

1,515 posts, read 6,983,517 times
*sigh*
I live in CLAYTON and I work in DURHAM, right on the outskirt of RTP. I moved here from Raleigh.
Technically, I added about an additional 15 MINUTES to my commute everyday to live in my affordable dream home.

And I don't regret it one bit. Believe it or not, I still fill up my tank about the same amount as I did when I lived in Raleigh. It did not make that much of a difference to me when I moved from Raleigh to Clayton and still work at the same place in Durham.

Old 07-13-2007, 05:43 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,644,670 times
Hm, interesting viewpoints on this topic - lots of talk about gas and the monetary cost of a commute, but no one has really mentioned much about the exponential growth in the area and the impact that commuting will have.

As I see it, the Raleigh area is continuing to sprawl, and thus newer "dreamhomes" are being pushed out farther and farther from where people will inevitably have to work. I have seen this happen firsthand in another city, and well, it hasn't worked out too well there. There are areas that are purely suburban residential, and all those people have to commute in generally the same direction to get to work - and, surprise, the local governments didn't plan ahead and adjust the infrastructure accordingly. If anyone thinks traffic in the Triangle is bad now, just wait.

I'm not trying to be negative and I know everyone's situation is unique, but this is just something I have seen happen, and lived in that city. From that experience, I learned very quickly that living as close to my workplace as possible, and in the opposite direction of the traffic flow, is worth the world to me. You just can't put a price on time and frustration. Perhaps my viewpoint will change when I finally decide to purchase a home, but I doubt it. For now, I'm enjoying my 5 mile commute!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary