Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 10:48 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times

Advertisements

I was offered several job opportunities in RTP during my 18 years in Raleigh.

Although the money was better, I chose to ignore them since the I-40 commute is just too strenuous for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2007, 11:05 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,594,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
I was offered several job opportunities in RTP during my 18 years in Raleigh.

Although the money was better, I chose to ignore them since the I-40 commute is just too strenuous for me.
Strenuous? Do you mean that the physical and/or mental effort, energy and exertion was more than you could deal with on a daily basis? Try having kids

Old 07-13-2007, 11:21 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,545,629 times
If I had to live in NC I would be wanting to live close to where I work too.

Congrats to the NC crowd on here for e-lynching this person just for pointing out a lack of mass transit in RDU. +1 rep points for you all

Old 07-13-2007, 11:37 AM

The nervous tension and frustration, especially since I have very poor depth perception and cannot safely merge or change lanes on large roads.

Used to walk to work in Manhattan. That was nice.

Old 07-13-2007, 12:25 PM

For all that tax revenue, the NC legislature can stop wasting it on redecorating the state capitol and build a mass transit line in between Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill. They need to do that while there is still open space.

Old 07-13-2007, 01:34 PM

It would be nice but you'd need good bus connections at the ends of the route.

The sprawl here has made it difficult to find point-to-point rail lines that make sense.

Old 07-13-2007, 02:04 PM

709 posts, read 934,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
If I had to live in NC I would be wanting to live close to where I work too.

Congrats to the NC crowd on here for e-lynching this person just for pointing out a lack of mass transit in RDU. +1 rep points for you all

When i hear oh but it is too built out to put in mas transit, light rail I laugh. You have elected worthless politicians. Crooks like up north.

Build some mass transit infrastructure. Build light rail do something.

Old 07-13-2007, 02:20 PM

4,606 posts, read 7,687,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbywan View Post
When i hear oh but it is too built out to put in mas transit, light rail I laugh. You have elected worthless politicians. Crooks like up north.

Build some mass transit infrastructure. Build light rail do something.
Do you think it would be a big hit?
How many people on here that actually LIVE in NC now, feel it would be something that would be beneficial to their lifestyle etc.
to incorporate it into?

Personally I would never use it.

Old 07-13-2007, 02:32 PM

709 posts, read 934,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autumngal View Post
How many people on here that actually LIVE in NC now, feel it would be something that would be beneficial to their lifestyle etc.
to incorporate it into?

You might use it when gasoline is 6 bucks a gallon or not available. Did you wait on gasoline lines back in the 70s?

Old 07-13-2007, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by autumngal View Post
to incorporate it into?

Well, since this is obviously directed at me, it surely sounds like urbywan lives in NC now.

You may never use it autumn. They said that here in Houston, before they built it. Everyone loves to pile onto the freeways, burn gas moving nowhere, so they can have their own car and their own stereo and their own pink fuzzy dice hanging on the rear-view mirror. Then they build a rail line from downtown through one section of the city and people took to it. Many people don't ride it in the city, but that's because it only where some people in the city have access to it. That will change in the future. We built a light rail system halfway across the largest city (space-wise) in the country in as much time as it takes NC to build a simple length of freeway (like that US 70 bypass thing they are building through NW Johnston County - now they are saying it will not be done until 2011. We are supposed to have two brand-new light rail lines up by then.

Our light rail revitalized and helped gentrify run-down parts of Houston (including the area where I live). It could do the same in Raleigh and Durham. You could have a line extending from downtown eastward along New Bern to WakeMed and possibly out to, say, Wake Forest. Much of the area around WakeMed is blighted. But a transit line would promote business growth there and then more upwardly-mobile, decent people will come into the area and force the undesirable element out (mostly through a rise in property values raising taxes, which in turn would cause those apartments to raise rents and/or shut down and sell out). This may not help people out in the suburbs, but it would do a lot for the inner city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary