Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2007, 06:31 PM

65 posts, read 267,162 times

Advertisements

I have finally made it to Raleigh and we are loving every minute of it. My kids are assigned to a year round school, but when these kids are out of school what do working parents do?? Are the ywca or boys and girls clubs open all day long due this new school schedule?? Do any of your kids attend alkl year round and if so do you like it?? and why?? Please any feedback will be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2007, 08:10 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,034,535 times
my daughter is about to start year round school, kindergarten, she is in track 4. I have many many friends with kids in year round school.......Because there are so many more year round schools now, there are many many track out programs available for kids. The Y, different kinds of camps, day cares offer track out camps, etc.

From what my friends have said, they like year round because:

There kids are not as bored over the summer
They can take vacation at different times of the year, at a cheaper rate (they go to disney every september)
The kids seems to retain more information

The school year basically runs from july 9 to july 9, as the entire school is out for the week of july 4th. So, kids who are in track 2 and 3 are in one grade the week before vacation and begin another grade the week after vacation. Track 1 has their track out that continues through the july 4 holiday, so they basically have a month between changing grades. Track 4 is off for the holiday then the following 3 weeks, so they too have a month between grades basically...........

it may sound confusing, but you get used to it. And, ask anybody, each person LOVES the particular track they are on..........

Leigh

Old 07-13-2007, 03:48 AM

1,515 posts, read 6,983,517 times
I highly recommend the YMCA day camps, they are alot of fun for the kids and very educational in a fun way!

Old 07-13-2007, 07:34 AM

741 posts, read 3,510,873 times
I'm, a little worried about this situation. I have again re-sold my house, and close the last week in August. My kids have been out of school since June 15th. School in NJ starts September 5th, school in NC obviously has already started? What will happen to my kids? school will be in session there around 2 months already, How is this going to work out?

Old 07-13-2007, 08:49 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,108,254 times
If they're assigned to a year round school, they would probably be put on the next starting track. But not all schools here are year round. Traditional schedules don't start until the end of August.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary