Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 08:15 AM

1,714 posts, read 2,754,971 times

Advertisements

Do you have a Roku XDS Media Streamer and Roadrunner in the triangle ?
How does it do with Netflix/Hulu/etc .... is there a good selection of movies on Netflix for streaming ? Is your configuration wireless or wired (router to Roku) ..... Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2010, 08:44 AM

449 posts, read 1,343,438 times
We've had a Roku (the lowest level one that streams HD) for a year and we LOVE it. We do have a wired connection, but I think we've tried it wireless and it worked OK. The streaming selection on Netflix changes frequently - with things disappearing and appearing often. We've been happy with it.

Sometimes at night (when more people are streaming) there are speed issues, but rarely. And we stream kids' tv for much of the day at times, and rarely have problems. We're big Roku fans. My husband loves baseball and had the MLB streaming package this summer. Overall, that got poor reviews and there were some issues, but it worked well enough for him to feel like he got his money's worth. We also enjoy streaming Pandora on it - especially with Christmas music.

Oh and we just discovered how to watch YouTube on the Roku - that's a pretty fun time waster too. . .

Old 12-16-2010, 09:03 AM

502 posts, read 1,649,628 times
I'm thinking about getting one, so I'll be watching this thread. But I stream Netflix over the Wii using a wireless router (which is upstairs) with Roadrunner Turbo and haven't had any problems so far (it's only been about a week or so).

Old 12-16-2010, 10:11 AM

181 posts, read 337,779 times
I got a Roku after they added Hulu Plus. Was using the Wii for Netflix.

Use the Roku wireless, excellant.

I use Hulu Plus as a DVR for non CBS shows on ABC, NBC and FOX.

Netflix is outstanding. Been with them since the beginning.

Pandora. I would buy the Roku just for that.

Between OTA 34 channels, Roku with Netflix, Hulu Plus and Pandora for less than $20 per month I am more than satisfied.

Old 12-16-2010, 10:35 AM

1,188 posts, read 2,533,173 times
We've been thinking of switching to roku/boxee + OTA programming. The amount we spend on cable is just obsurd IMO

Old 12-16-2010, 10:36 AM

5,775 posts, read 6,823,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitroad View Post
How does it do with Netflix/Hulu/etc .Is your configuration wireless or wired (router to Roku) ..... Thanks
Since I needed a new DVD player, I opted for a Samsung with built-in wireless. After needing to frequently rebooting my 2-year old Linksys/Cisco router, I decided to replace it with an ASUS RT-N16. I replaced the OS with TomatoUSB. It works well.

Old 12-16-2010, 10:43 AM

116 posts, read 365,819 times
If you are going to do OTA, I would suggest SageTV (SageTV® Media Center - PVR, Music and Photos for Windows and Linux PCs and consumer electronics devices). It has, in my opinion, the best OTA DVR. I also have not seen a better media player.

I have been using SageTV for the last 3 years and love it. (dropped cable 3 years ago. Now it is just OTA + Netflix for $17 a month, instead of almost $100).

Old 12-16-2010, 11:01 AM

1,112 posts, read 2,855,090 times
it would be interesting if an 'expert' could give a simple tutorial on Roku and easiest configuration for flat screen tv and how it is connected to internet

Old 12-16-2010, 11:10 AM

2,459 posts, read 8,048,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissDollie View Post
I got a Roku after they added Hulu Plus. Was using the Wii for Netflix.

Use the Roku wireless, excellant.

I use Hulu Plus as a DVR for non CBS shows on ABC, NBC and FOX.

Netflix is outstanding. Been with them since the beginning.

Pandora. I would buy the Roku just for that.

Between OTA 34 channels, Roku with Netflix, Hulu Plus and Pandora for less than $20 per month I am more than satisfied.
I agree - very attractive. To be fair you should allocate part of the Internet charge, but still very good. The Pandora upgrade to Pandora One (higher fidelity sound, unlimited listening, no adverts, etc) is also good value at $36 per year.

Frank

Old 12-16-2010, 12:58 PM

754 posts, read 1,688,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitroad View Post
How does it do with Netflix/Hulu/etc .... is there a good selection of movies on Netflix for streaming ? Is your configuration wireless or wired (router to Roku) ..... Thanks
If you want an idea of what's available or will be available on Netflix streaming, you can use instantwatcher.com or feedfliks.com. We stream Netflix through a PS3 and a BD player with no problems. Both are connected wirelessly via 802.11n. The majority of Netflix's streaming content is low-rated drek, but there's plenty to watch if you put the work in at the previously mentioned sites and load up your queue with the good stuff. Just keep in mind that content constantly expires so watch those Web sites and make you watch stuff before it goes away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boardjnky4 View Post
We've been thinking of switching to roku/boxee + OTA programming. The amount we spend on cable is just obsurd IMO
We did that a couple of months ago and switched to OTA+GB-PVR/Netflix/PlayOn+Hulu. It's very liberating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
Since I needed a new DVD player, I opted for a Samsung with built-in wireless. After needing to frequently rebooting my 2-year old Linksys/Cisco router, I decided to replace it with an ASUS RT-N16. I replaced the OS with TomatoUSB. It works well.
Good choice. That's what I have and Tomato has worked great since the summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary