Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 08:18 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,191,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
Hey wait a minute! You knock their dig at Durham, but don't even care about the dig at Brier Creek? We're nice people here. Really! We don't have any more money than anyone else.
I thought that was a compliment! I like the smell of money!!!

Vicki
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2010, 08:44 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,253,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lb27608 View Post
A completely unnecessary and inflammatory post, apparently. Just bash Durham with absolutely no evidence that the incident in question has anything to do with it. Way to go.
Oh please. Saturnfan is completely accurate in his/her assessment. It may not please politically correct folks, but it's proximity to high crime regions of Durham and relatively affluent demographic make it probabilistically more likely to be hit by folks from there than from SE Raleigh, Garner, Clayton, etc. It's no different than how I remember when Philly burbs being the target of holdups by innercity thugs typically from North or West Philly.

I happen to like Durham, but I'm not blind to the reality that pockets in the town are some of the most dangerous in the region. I carry practically 24/7 in any permitted area, and even I wouldn't set foot in some parts.

Old 12-21-2010, 06:29 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,088,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Oh please. Saturnfan is completely accurate in his/her assessment. It may not please politically correct folks, but it's proximity to high crime regions of Durham and relatively affluent demographic make it probabilistically more likely to be hit by folks from there than from SE Raleigh, Garner, Clayton, etc. It's no different than how I remember when Philly burbs being the target of holdups by innercity thugs typically from North or West Philly.

I happen to like Durham, but I'm not blind to the reality that pockets in the town are some of the most dangerous in the region. I carry practically 24/7 in any permitted area, and even I wouldn't set foot in some parts.
Brier Creek is not located near high crime regions of Durham. Rather, it is near developed areas of Durham in RTP and some more rural areas of eastern Durham that are beginning to develop into some nice middle class neighborhoods like Brightleaf at the Park. The broad strokes used in this post and the one by saturnfan are inaccurate and unnecessary.

Yes, Durham has crime and it is mostly concentrated in some select areas in central and east central Durham (a gross overgeneralization of geography). The crime in these areas is no worse than the crime in the high crime neighborhoods of southeast central Raleigh. I have lived near these areas in Raleigh and have been through the bad hoods in Durham plenty of times in my life without incident...and I certainly don't pack heat.

Old 12-21-2010, 08:00 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,253,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp_az View Post
Brier Creek is not located near high crime regions of Durham. Rather, it is near developed areas of Durham in RTP and some more rural areas of eastern Durham that are beginning to develop into some nice middle class neighborhoods like Brightleaf at the Park. The broad strokes used in this post and the one by saturnfan are inaccurate and unnecessary.

Yes, Durham has crime and it is mostly concentrated in some select areas in central and east central Durham (a gross overgeneralization of geography). The crime in these areas is no worse than the crime in the high crime neighborhoods of southeast central Raleigh. I have lived near these areas in Raleigh and have been through the bad hoods in Durham plenty of times in my life without incident...and I certainly don't pack heat.
I went to school near NYC, over in Newark, NJ so I'm quite aware of what constitutes a "high crime" area (even worse since NJ has some of the worst self-defense laws on the books and concealed carry is virtually illegal in all cases). But, I-40 and 70 provide two convenient escape routes to those who'd rob others in Brier Creek. Also, while SE Raleigh is certainly depressed economically, I would much rather walk around those parts on a dark evening than a bad pocket of Durham.

Hey, I would be one of the first in line to get my next home in a nice part of Durham, if it wasn't for the fact that I'm getting out of dodge right after graduation. The town has character and the kool-aid to latte blend is somewhat lower than Chapel Hill and Carrboro.

Old 12-21-2010, 08:17 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,571,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
I went to school near NYC, over in Newark, NJ so I'm quite aware of what constitutes a "high crime" area (even worse since NJ has some of the worst self-defense laws on the books and concealed carry is virtually illegal in all cases). But, I-40 and 70 provide two convenient escape routes to those who'd rob others in Brier Creek. Also, while SE Raleigh is certainly depressed economically, I would much rather walk around those parts on a dark evening than a bad pocket of Durham.

Hey, I would be one of the first in line to get my next home in a nice part of Durham, if it wasn't for the fact that I'm getting out of dodge right after graduation. The town has character and the kool-aid to latte blend is somewhat lower than Chapel Hill and Carrboro.
Just to add another perspective...I too went to school (college) in Newark, NJ, and feel completely safe in Durham. I have no need to go to the highest crime areas, so I don't. Brier Creek isn't my cup of tea anyway, and during the holiday season anyone can be robbed anywhere there's a parking lot and potentially gifts in a trunk.

Old 12-21-2010, 11:23 AM

1,177 posts, read 2,335,568 times
Seems like the news article has finally been posted, including additional robberies.
Wow, crime rampant everywhere in town, esp during the holidays. Yall be careful and alert of your surroundings!

Family robbed outside Raleigh restaurant
Family robbed outside Raleigh restaurant | abc11.com

Old 12-21-2010, 11:49 AM

862 posts, read 3,543,862 times
I honestly find it hilarious that somebody who lived in Newark ***shudders*** would think there is any comparison to Durham. My husband and in laws grew up there and I had the most unfortunate experience of living with them there for a few months. You want to talk about afraid to walk the streets without being worried about being robbed at gunpoint coming out of your apartment (let alone holiday shopping)? There are thugs literally all over the place. If you look at somebody wrong you might get shot. Murders day in and day out. Kids stealing raggedy cars to joyride in. Now that's what I call 'Dodge'. When you come off McCarter Hwy, you know you are in 'the jungle'. The rough hoods of Durham don't even come close.

Old 12-21-2010, 01:46 PM

397 posts, read 804,212 times
I've been out late at night @ the ale house and at wild wing cafe over in Brier Creek quite a few times. Never have any problems personally.

I hate to stereotype any class of people. But there does seem to be a bit of a rougher looking crowd at times out there. Especially at & around the ale house and in that corner by wild wings.

That little cul de sac there seems to invite trouble. I think it's more about the clic of folks that seem to be hanging out at the ale house.

Just my take on things. Brier Creek is a very overated area.

It's nice and very convneient to the airport and has some nice shops and restaurants. But outside of the BC Country Club and the expensive Toll Brothers houses, it's not the super upscale and rich area that people like to talk about.

More of a middle class area and there's lots of cheaper apts and townhomes around that area.

The reality of BC and the image might be too different things.

Old 12-21-2010, 01:53 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,191,857 times
Oh good grief! This thread is not about Durham and it is certainly not about whether or not Brier Creek is a good place to live.

I started this thread because of a robbery that happened at Brier Creek shopping center AND because it was more than 1 incident and because the police were telling people to be especially careful because the criminal had not been caught.

The thread was to tell you to BE CAREFUL!

Vicki

Old 12-21-2010, 06:32 PM

766 posts, read 1,655,804 times
WRAL article about the incident

Police seek suspect in Brier Creek armed robbery :: WRAL.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary