Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2010, 12:40 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,140,626 times

Advertisements

This was sent to me by another agent in my office, from a client of her's:

Dear Friends,

Last night my family and I were held at gun point and robbed in front of the Pei Wei restaurant at Brier Creek shortly after 7 pm. The family was exiting the van when the driver in the car parked next to us, came out and grabbed my bag and waved a gun. We are all fine, no one was hurt and lucky to have to only re-establish my drivers license, credit card, etc. It could have been worse. The police and detective are pushing this case very hard since there has been several of these incidents the past 3 weeks, all at Brier Creek.

So as you are all out and about this holiday season and always, please stay alert. This country is in dire economic times and people are desperate. Watch for people following you, parked next to you, or approaching you appearing to ask a question. These people can be armed and dangerous. Tell everyone you know what has happened to me so that they can take appropriate steps for their safety.

Stay safe !

Thank you,

Scary that it happened at 7PM. Brier Creek has had other incidents in years past, much of which was blamed on the teenagers that hang out at Frankies. There have been break in's of cars (some left unlocked) as well. Best to be aware of your surroundings at any time during this Holiday season. Be safe.

Vicki
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2010, 01:53 PM

4,234 posts, read 4,657,835 times
The Raleigh crime map at the N&O website shows this robbery. Since November 15 there have been 48 reported robberies in Raleigh... only this one in the vicinity of Brier Creek. however. Almost all other robberies were inside/along I-440 or along US 1 in northeast Raleigh.

I'm not saying that stuff doesn't happen at Brier Creek; it does. But I believe stuff happens less often at Brier Creek than in many areas of the city.

Old 12-16-2010, 02:00 PM

2,586 posts, read 9,074,280 times
It is stories like these that make me happy that I moved to Durham

Seriously, that is an unfortunate situation and it just goes to show that bad stuff happens everywhere. Stay alert!

Old 12-16-2010, 02:04 PM

5,729 posts, read 17,537,249 times
That'll teach 'em not to go to Pei Wei for dinner.

Old 12-16-2010, 02:46 PM

6,793 posts, read 8,989,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp_az View Post
It is stories like these that make me happy that I moved to Durham

Seriously, that is an unfortunate situation and it just goes to show that bad stuff happens everywhere. Stay alert!
Hey mdp_az. This is just great. Now the newcomers will be afraid to move to Durham AND afraid of moving to Brier Creek.

Seriously, I'm very sorry this happened but it just proves that there is crime anywhere in Raleigh. It's not confined to "bad" neighborhoods.

Old 12-16-2010, 02:50 PM

1,714 posts, read 2,756,211 times
Statistics or not I sure read a lot regarding crime at Brier Creek. Wasn't there just a string of home break-ins in that area.

Old 12-16-2010, 03:01 PM

871 posts, read 3,009,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitroad View Post
Statistics or not I sure read a lot regarding crime at Brier Creek. Wasn't there just a string of home break-ins in that area.

And a fatal shooting in a restaurant parking lot.

Old 12-16-2010, 03:02 PM

542 posts, read 1,520,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
That'll teach 'em not to go to Pei Wei for dinner.
Yeah, that was the true crime, the food there is horrible. But seriously, the robbery had to be a horribly traumatic event and I hope they are able to overcome it. Thankfully random crimes are rare in ANY part of the Triangle, even in those places with higher rates of crime. Everyone, keep your eyes open as this could happen to anybody.

Michael

Old 12-16-2010, 03:08 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,140,626 times
Since I am the original poster...

Brier Creek isn't an UNSAFE area. My POINT in relaying this incident was to remind everyone to be safe when doing your holiday shopping. It was NOT to imply that the Brier Creek shopping area is any less safe than anywhere else.

No matter where you shop...be alert to your surroundings. If you are shopping at Brier Creek, just know that there have been a few incidents and I don't know that they have found any of these criminals so they may still be out there. Be safe.

Vicki

Old 12-16-2010, 03:33 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,074,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Since I am the original poster...

Brier Creek isn't an UNSAFE area. My POINT in relaying this incident was to remind everyone to be safe when doing your holiday shopping. It was NOT to imply that the Brier Creek shopping area is any less safe than anywhere else.

No matter where you shop...be alert to your surroundings. If you are shopping at Brier Creek, just know that there have been a few incidents and I don't know that they have found any of these criminals so they may still be out there. Be safe.

Vicki
I agree, Vicki. Thank you for posting it. Just last night I was at Southpoint with my kids and reminded my daughter to close her window before we got out of the car because 'tis the season for break-ins and we didn't want to leave an open invitation. Which led us to a whole discussion on whether criminals who go to jail during Christmas get treated better or worse than regular seasons, and whether they got to receive presents, but that's another story

Seriously, though, malls around Christmas are dangerous. People put stuff in their trunks and likely carry more cash than they otherwise would. It's a nice, concentrated area of people and stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary