Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 06:42 AM

932 posts, read 3,096,607 times

Advertisements

They can turn almost anything into a cell tower and you'd never know it. Some church steeples are cell towers. No one company is going to have coverage everywhere. It's regulated by the government. It's best to go with a company that's going to let you try the phone for at least a few days so you can get an idea of if it's going to work for you. Lots of things can interfere with service. I have a lot of hills in my neighborhood, Sprint drops calls every time you go into a small valley, my AT&T works. My husband's Nextel works okay but not in certain rooms of the house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2010, 01:27 PM

12 posts, read 32,144 times
The legal prose here is so flawed it is laughable. The 'necessity' is the fact that AT&T relies on 1900 Mhz propagation, where's other providers (with the exclusion of T-Mobile) has the leverage of 850Mhz signal propagation.

On the health and safety front - don't the consumer know that the less towers are in the area, the harder the phone has to work? Therefore there are *increased* dangers associated with extensive cell phone usage as the phones have to work harder to maintain calls.

On the whole, this entire spectacle is a NIMBY-fest, and maddening!

Old 12-20-2010, 02:14 PM

9,144 posts, read 14,752,031 times
Agree. ATT is hurt the most here by their non-preferrable spectrum assignment. Why North Carolina is the only place they got saddled with it is a mystery.

As far as NIMBYism goes, I have to say I usually side with putting towers up and for the one proposed for the inudstrial park off Cary Parkway, there is no reason in the world it should not have been approved, but I kind of have to side with the Providence Place homeowners in the Morrisville deal.

That tower site is right next to houses and would essentiall be like one lot in a cul de sac having a tower. Seems like a no brainer to put it on the other side of 540, which would be what, 700-800 feet away with no houses there now and in fact thats where the power lines are. Maybe the tower company should just put one up on one of the existing power line towers liek has been doen in several places in teh area already. I'm sure it will cost a littel more and may not be perfect as far as height, but it is crazy for them to say that people would not be harmed (house price wise) by their proposal.

Old 12-20-2010, 02:16 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,581,096 times
Verizon LTE is going to be 700mhz so it will be even more resilient of a signal. I think ATT won some of the spectrum as well, but I haven't heard any plan from them about it.

Never notice the tower unless I look strait up in the air. It's a perception thing, you think it's an eye sore but it never bothers me.
Attached Thumbnails
If you are considering AT&T cell service, PLEASE watch Town of Cary meeting from Dec 16-img_3145.jpg  

Old 05-16-2014, 08:13 AM

746 posts, read 1,242,237 times
I called one company asking about their return policy if I do NOT get the service I am told in my area.

They told me no termination fee for the first 15 days.

I said, is that it? I can then return the phones, they said yes.
I said, no restocking fee??

ONLY THEN did they say, yeah restocking fee $35 per phone.

So, if you buy two phones with the promise of coverage, find out you don't get the coverage you were promised and return the phones, you are charged $70. I thought we had buyer protection here but apparently these companies are ignoring buyer protection laws.

They force us to buy their phone, then load it up with spyware, then charge us if they cannot deliver the service the promised. Am I the only one that has a problem with this?

Old 05-16-2014, 08:37 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,228,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky1 View Post
I called one company asking about their return policy if I do NOT get the service I am told in my area.

They told me no termination fee for the first 15 days.

I said, is that it? I can then return the phones, they said yes.
I said, no restocking fee??

ONLY THEN did they say, yeah restocking fee $35 per phone.

So, if you buy two phones with the promise of coverage, find out you don't get the coverage you were promised and return the phones, you are charged $70. I thought we had buyer protection here but apparently these companies are ignoring buyer protection laws.

They force us to buy their phone, then load it up with spyware, then charge us if they cannot deliver the service the promised. Am I the only one that has a problem with this?
The restock fee is because they cannot sell the phone as new anymore. You can, however, activate a phone you already own and test service that way without losing any money.

Before the smart phone era, they did not charge restock fees on phones. Dumb phones are cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary