Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 01:21 PM

1 posts, read 4,709 times

Advertisements

I live in Texas have for some 40 yrs I have never hear of a Texas police officer making someone pay for a ticket at the same time of the stop.

Now on to the move over law I have friends that just moved here from NC. They were pulled over for not slowing down for an officer on the side of road with lights going. Same excuse, they didn't know it was law. I told them that NC had the same law but they wanted to agree with me so I looked it up.

There's only one different between the NC law and the Texas law. So be forewarned when driving in Texas. NC laws only says:

Plain and simple:
If there is more then one lane move over. If only one lane you slow down to safe speed. Be prepared to stop.

Texas Law:
Plain and simple
If there is more then one lane move over. If only one lane slow 20 mph below posted speed. be prepared to stop.

As posted before common sense says slow down.

I'm a vol firefighter/1st responder. I've almost been ran over several times by someone wanting to drive the posted limit or by someone not heeding to us directing traffic. I for one don't think this should of had to be made a law but because people don't use common sense it had to be.

So next time you travel to another state I would suggest as someone else did check their laws. Better yet use common sense and think about the fact that the person standing on the side of the road might be a officer/firefighter etc but they are also someones loved one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2007, 08:35 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,846,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DownTownDurham View Post
Fine plus fee for a professional leech $1,800.

The leech went to court twice and twice the man with the funny hat (aka Sergeant with a very high IQ) was not present for the hearings. I got the PJC-thing too. Whatever...

Why was your lawyer a leech? Was it a family member who should have worked for you for free?
If not why didn't you just represent yourself?

Old 10-25-2007, 09:11 PM

14 posts, read 105,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALT-X View Post
Written warnings are not kept track of since they mean nothing. The only thing that means anything in any court is being officially cited for a violation. I don't know what agency pulled your friend over but the Raleigh Police Department doesn't make it a practice to give people warnings for misdemeanor violations (like the move over law). A misdemeanor is an arrestable offense so a person who is cited for any misdemeanor (including simple ones like forgetting to sign your registration card) is already getting a break by not being arrested. Now for infractions we have a lot more leeway and give warnings (both verbal and written) more frequently. An example of an infraction would be an expired car inspection or not signaling before changing lanes.

Your reason for hating cops was amusing to me because I encounter attitudes/opinions like yours when I'm working and it just shows how no one wants to take responsibility for their actions anymore, no matter how minor. You should not hate cops for enforcing laws, you should dislike the law and try to change it. That's not easy to do so maybe if you are a "hate" type person you should direct your anger towards all the congressmen and others who make the laws.

Don't worry, I'm never take opinions like yours personally, it never bothers me or affects the level of service I offer to the citizens of Raleigh. I'm a true professional and know people who think like you are all over the place. Attitudes like yours are good because it keeps me motivated and they certainly provide us all with good entertainment...
ALT-X, i got one thing to say to you... just thanks for your service from a soon to be former northerner.

raleigh area bound - 12/01/2007

Old 10-28-2007, 02:17 PM

2 posts, read 9,155 times
You must not be involved in any Emergency Response Agency or you might look at it diffrently.

Old 10-28-2007, 06:34 PM

2 posts, read 9,155 times
I think these hair brained excuses that people give for not obeying the law that is there to protect the brave men and women in both Law Enforcement and EMS just goes to show how more and more people don't think they shouldn't be held responsible for their own actions even though their actions could mean injury or death to others. And that attitude my friends grieves me greatly.

Old 09-04-2008, 09:08 AM

4 posts, read 14,601 times
My boyfriend and I were travelling on I-77 in Iredell County last Wed. We were on our way to the Hillsville VA flea market show.

He was driving our box truck, and I was behind him in our pickup. We came up on a broke down wrecker and tow truck. A state trooper was there with his lights on.

My boyfriend was not able to move over at the time he first saw them. He slowed down considerably since we are aware of the move over law.

When he slowed down suddenly it brought me up closer to him.

I couldnt see anything for the box truck in my way....the only time I can see anything on the side of the road is when we are going into a curve.

As soon as I saw them, I saw I couldnt get over as there was traffic in the left lane.

The officer pulled us both a mile or so down the road. I had no clue as to why we were being pulled.

I understand the law and we travel all the time as we do foreclosure cleanouts in lots of states and we always move over if possible.

We did slow down! The law says move over OR reduce speed. Which is what we did.

The worst part of this, is that when the trooper got out of the car and went to my boyfriends window...he began SCREAMING at my boyfriend. I mean SCREAMING! His hands were flying in all different directions, and his face was red.

He came back to me and althought he didnt scream at me, he was rude. I tried to explain that we couldnt get over, but we reduced our speed. He wouldnt hear anything I said, and just told me he had no tolerance.

He gave my boyfriend the ticket ($171.00) and gave me a warning for following too close.

He said there had been seven deaths on that road caused by people not moving over.

I understand where he was coming from, but we could NOT move over.....he said we could!

I just dont think he should have gotten out of that car screaming the way he did.

I saw 4 cars pass us and could have moved over as there was no one in the left lane as the went by.

When he was giving my boyfriend his ticket one flew right by him and did not attempt to get over. My boyfriend brought it to his attention, and the trooper said, "I know, I cant get em all"

Not sure what he will do, maybe try a PJC as he has only one ticket for a light being out.......any suggestions?

Old 09-04-2008, 10:24 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,003,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breniee View Post
I couldnt see anything for the box truck in my way....the only time I can see anything on the side of the road is when we are going into a curve.?
Then you were following too close and deserved the ticket.

Quote:
He came back to me and althought he didnt scream at me, he was rude. I tried to explain that we couldnt get over, but we reduced our speed. He wouldnt hear anything I said, and just told me he had no tolerance.
Maybe attending other trooper's funerals had something to do with the
lack of tolerance

Old 09-04-2008, 10:28 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,003,675 times
Quote:
My boyfriend was not able to move over at the time he first saw them. He slowed down considerably since we are aware of the move over law.

When he slowed down suddenly it brought me up closer to him.

I couldnt see anything for the box truck in my way....the only time I can see anything on the side of the road is when we are going into a curve.
If you were so close you could not see the side of the road how are you so sure that your boyfriend could not move over?

Old 09-04-2008, 10:34 AM

271 posts, read 700,543 times
Maybe it was at the end the Month, and the Officer had to make their Quota. In NYC/Long Island Once you hit the 26th day on, Every mile you go you see a Cop pulling someone over.

Please Don't Tell me they don't have a Quota

Old 09-04-2008, 11:37 AM

2,835 posts, read 7,339,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCgirl View Post
NC Move Over Law (http://www.ncdot.org/traffictravel/incident/faq.html - broken link)

If you are unable to move over, you need to slow down until you pass the incident.

Thank-You I did not know that law. Common sense says to move over if one can I suppose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary