Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 11:02 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,271,582 times

Advertisements

Anybody come across any unusual properties for sale in the area lately? By unusual I mean in price, size, or architecture style?

I have come across two interesting ones in the past week:

1) A 1917 Bungalow in Mordecai near downtown Raleigh listed at just $175K sold "as is". I drove by it yesterday on the way home from work out of curiosity. It looks like it was probably a lovely home in its time, and I'm no expert, but it looked like it would take another $150K to make it livable.

2) While I don't really consider it part of the Triangle area, I ran across a listing for a Farm House built in 1880 in Siler City. The purchase price includes a 16-acre fruit orchard consisting of apple, plum and pear trees. List price is $150K. The funny thing about the listing for the 127 year old house is that it simply states "Needs Repair".

Old 07-13-2007, 11:05 AM

43,264 posts, read 77,033,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Anybody come across any unusual properties for sale in the area lately? By unusual I mean in price, size, or architecture style?

1) A 1917 Bungalow in Mordecai near downtown Raleigh listed at just $175K sold "as is". I drove by it yesterday on the way home from work out of curiosity. It looks like it was probably a lovely home in its time, and I'm no expert, but it looked like it would take another $150K to make it livable.

2) While I don't really consider it part of the Triangle area, I ran across a listing for a Farm House built in 1880 in Siler City. The purchase price includes a 16-acre fruit orchard consisting of apple, plum and pear trees. List price is $150K. The funny thing about the listing for the 127 year old house is that it simply states "Needs Repair".
1. I've been there. You have it figured out. $175,000 in Mordecai, it was like a 5 family yard sale the first day.

2. I think I emailed that one to a feller, who then decided to select another alternative...

Old 07-13-2007, 11:11 AM

306 posts, read 1,192,156 times
Question Needs repair? I bet it does!

Quote:

Needs repair is probably and understatement. I wonder how the fruit trees are or if they "need repair" too. And just where is Siler City?

I live in a house built in 1924 and let me tell you, anything this old needs repair. I won't even start a list.

Do you think they are trying to entice a new, naive buyer from outside the area? Would the acreage be worth the price on it's own? I mean is it close enough to the Triangle that the eventual urban growth could head in that direction?

Char

Old 07-13-2007, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChar View Post
Do you think they are trying to entice a new, naive buyer from outside the area? Would the acreage be worth the price on it's own? I mean is it close enough to the Triangle that the eventual urban growth could head in that direction?
Oh, I don't think so, no. The listing has lots of useful info and points out that the farm house is listed with the historical society. Not sure what the implications are with that, but it all seemed above board to me. I just thought it was funny that they felt the need to point out that a house over a century old would "Need Repair".

Old 07-31-2007, 09:19 PM

Thumbs up Another Neat Lisiting!

Found another interesting listing today. This house in Durham has quite a unique looking exterior!

Old 08-01-2007, 04:03 AM

1,219 posts, read 4,217,017 times
I think the Siler City farm listing is interesting. If I was looking for a small farm, I'd be very interested. For that price, you could sink $100,000 into the farmhouse and still have an incredible bargain!

Where I live, 16 acres and a house, even in bad shape, would be much closer to a million $.

That little red house pictured above, looks like a garden shed : )

Old 08-01-2007, 04:12 AM

285 posts, read 1,039,549 times
Quote:
Found another interesting listing today. This house in Durham has quite a unique looking exterior!

Is that house in North Durham, around Carver St? I swear I've seen it before. Nice shed!

Old 08-01-2007, 07:07 AM

7,573 posts, read 10,616,019 times
Quote:

Just wondering, how does a house qualify to be sold "as is"? What is the difference between selling a house that needs updates vs. "as is?" Jeannie

Old 08-01-2007, 10:24 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,712,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeannie216 View Post
Just wondering, how does a house qualify to be sold "as is"? What is the difference between selling a house that needs updates vs. "as is?" Jeannie
My impression on as-is means that the seller isn't going to do any repairs as part of the deal, so don't bother asking. They're probably not going to go for an inspection contingency, or a carpet/paint allowance, or nitpicking because the roof or heat/AC is old.

Am I understanding it correctly?

Old 08-03-2007, 02:28 PM

250 posts, read 1,245,590 times
Default Truly Unique--Teer House in Forest Hills in Durham

Here's a really interesting home being sold FSBO that's having an open house tomorrow afternoon. It is a 1950's custom built home of 7,000 sq. ft. with an in-ground pool on more than an acre in Forest Hills in Durham. Asking price: $799,500.

Click here for more information about the house. (http://www.theopenlook.com/full_listing.php?lid=172 - broken link)

http://www.theopenlook.com/homeimages/172/img_172_20070803_101920_large.jpg (broken link)

By the way, the seller's grandfather is the Teer after which the Duke Engineering building is named.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary