Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2007, 12:21 PM

132 posts, read 444,981 times

Advertisements

I was reading on another thread that IBM is going to be doing layoffs in the near future. Is this true? If so, do you think this will have a large impact on the high tech job market or do you think companies will look for people who have worked at companies other than IBM. We are hoping to relocate from Ca. in the next year and my husband is a software engineer in Silicon Valley. Was worried that this layoff would have a negative impact on his ability to find a job. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2007, 12:32 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,574,832 times
IBM has been reducing staff steadily as more commoditized skills shift offshore (e.g. India, East Europe etc.). While there are likely people in RTP who will be impacted the reality is that the growth in the technology sector will be able to absorb the impact.

While this is my opinion it's largely supported based on my first-hand knowledge of the local IT job market and my companies direct working relationship with IBM.

Old 07-13-2007, 01:30 PM

560 posts, read 2,849,264 times
I agree with NYC2RDU. If you are in a high-tech field this is one of the places to be. Layoffs at IBM are not going to change this fact.

Old 07-13-2007, 01:31 PM

560 posts, read 2,849,264 times
Also, tell your husband to check out eatonjobs.com, they are hiring a lot of people and they are a great company to work for. I have been with them for about two months now and am very happy with my decision.

Old 07-13-2007, 01:52 PM

241 posts, read 934,846 times
ugh... our friend moved to Durham to work at IBM, something in IT, got a check for moving expenses and everything. Not 3 months later, he was laid off. But my fiance, who is a programmer and not so much in IT, has been doing research on craigslist and monster and seems to think there is still a high demand for what he does. We still feel comfortable moving out there from CA, he feels confident that he'll be employed. So, there are "tech" jobs a-plenty, but not in every field

Old 07-13-2007, 01:59 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,355,335 times
IBM tends to have some form of layoffs twice a year - one in the Summer and one around December. Within a few months, they tend to replace the folks who were laid off with (mostly) college hires. Overall, the number of employees at the RTP site has been reasonably steady, although that really doesn't help anyone who was affected by the layoff.

Old 07-16-2007, 09:06 AM

1,484 posts, read 4,155,597 times
Default Overall....

The only issue I see with these layoffs and alot of people moving here is, that sooner or later there will be more people than jobs and soon it will seem like a down market, even if it isnt as there will be more and more people applying for the same jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary