Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2007, 07:50 AM

18 posts, read 63,825 times

Advertisements

Just curious if there are any areas in Raleigh that are prone to flooding. We're relocating from Philadelphia where we're lucky enough not to be near any flood zones, and we wouldn't want to change our luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2007, 07:52 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
Oh yes, especially near Crabtree Creek.

Old 07-18-2007, 08:15 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
It is not difficult to avoid flood hazard zones. They are well identified in the Environmental Features section of the Wake County IMAPS, found in the county tax website.

iMAPS Information for New Users is direct access to the system.

I like to go by address and access the IMAPS specific to the property:
http://msweb01.co.wake.nc.us/realestate/search.asp (broken link)

They are not "perfect," but are very good maps. A survey is the propert tool to be sure. Or just buy high ground...

Your Agent can help you avoid flooding areas.

Old 07-18-2007, 08:50 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,641,789 times
I'm glad I found this thread, but I am also wondering about streets flooding since my car is pretty low to the ground. I was driving on Millbrook Rd a couple of weeks ago during the last good downpour, and it seemed as though water was spewing OUT of the storm drains at some points . I was pretty worried that I would come upon a part of the road that was dangerous to drive though.

Anyone know of specific roads to avoid or that regularly flood during rainstorms? My boyfriend mentioned that western Wade Ave was pretty bad last night, but that is all we really know of. We live downtown and I work off of Wake Forest Rd just outside the beltline. My boyfriend works over in Cary at SAS.

Old 07-18-2007, 08:54 AM

3,395 posts, read 7,767,831 times
The area near Gorman and Avent Ferry near NC State has also had lots of flooding. Lots of college kids have gotten their apartments flooded in that area. There was also a flash flood near there that flooded the roads around 5 years go. Memory is fuzzy but think someone may have died in their car.

Old 07-18-2007, 09:46 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
When we moved to Raleigh 30 years ago, our first apt. was on McNeill Street, right off Old Wake Forest Road. That road tended to flood in any type of rain! Funny thing is that it flooded 2 doors down from our apt. and 2 doors up from our apt. and we never got it! The car dealerships on Old Wake Forest Road used to have to move their cars!

As far as BUYING...Mike is right...you can always check out the flood areas. Keep in mind that a seller is OBLIGATED to tell you if they live in a flood zone. Yhea, I know what you are thinking...what if they don't? Your lender requires homeowner's insurance and it would be difficult for a flood zone to slip past the insurance people! Its their responsibility to check the address and make sure it can be insured and for them not to notice its in a flood zone would be a HUGE mistake on their part and one I've never had happen (knock on wood)!

Vicki

Old 07-18-2007, 11:26 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
Atlantic Ave near New Hope Church rd goes under frequently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary