Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 09:38 AM

439 posts, read 1,748,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia16 View Post
NChomesomeday...

My Mother, your MIL... it will be like stereo nagging! We could harness their power for evil!!

What do you want to do first with our powers?
I know it wasn't directed to me, but couldn't help responding. Wonder twins power activate!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2008, 10:47 PM

11 posts, read 39,548 times
Sorry dear - but we just moved here from San Diego last April and I wish I hadnt! We pay 3 times as much for insurance here ,car and house ...plus 5 times as much for air conditioning or heat, our reg bills in San Diego were $55 here they are $200 every month or more! It is so humid and hot April thru October its torture... I miss my progressive artist friends I made in San Diego who help you learn and keep up with new things, most here are wayyy behind the times. Not a decent (using the term loosely) craft store or learning facility in the county ! I could go to 3 Nordstroms within 1/2 hour there, here it (1) is an HOUR away ! Oh yes and my new job pays me 1/2 what I earned in California! Oh yes and there are the yearly tax bills for each of our cars in addition to the charges when you first get here, plus I gotta pay extra to protect my skin with the darker windows on my car at inspection time... yeesh PLUS I get palpitations whenever I drive long distances, the exhaust from the underregulated cars dirty up the air and make me gag. I hate having a septic tank - I am not able to get a disposal - a daily hassle/problem. Plus I know the builder did a shoddy job of building our home and that would never happen in California - too many Wonderful protections for Cal residents but not here - including privacy issues - I cant believe they forced us to give our soc sec # when we applied for utilities and phone type stuff. Look into the insurance biz here it is just unbelievable what the insurance CZAR is still allowed to force us to pay -this should be outlawed as it has been in California for decades! I can probably come up with more but is late.. good luck to you maybe you will find it less problematic than me ~ OH YEA I would be remiss in not mentioning the abundance of dirty gross smokers that abound - Hopefully California will be my home again some day soon "sigh"

Old 02-12-2008, 12:54 AM

241 posts, read 934,996 times
ateliercollection.... how long have you been in the area? What made you move in the first place? I've met quite a few transplants from SoCal and they all seem happy with a very long list of pros, short cons list... are they lying?

Old 02-12-2008, 05:18 AM

2,135 posts, read 7,657,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ateliercollection View Post
Sorry dear - but we just moved here from San Diego last April and I wish I hadnt! We pay 3 times as much for insurance here ,car and house ...plus 5 times as much for air conditioning or heat, our reg bills in San Diego were $55 here they are $200 every month or more! It is so humid and hot April thru October its torture... I miss my progressive artist friends I made in San Diego who help you learn and keep up with new things, most here are wayyy behind the times. Not a decent (using the term loosely) craft store or learning facility in the county ! I could go to 3 Nordstroms within 1/2 hour there, here it (1) is an HOUR away ! Oh yes and my new job pays me 1/2 what I earned in California! Oh yes and there are the yearly tax bills for each of our cars in addition to the charges when you first get here, plus I gotta pay extra to protect my skin with the darker windows on my car at inspection time... yeesh PLUS I get palpitations whenever I drive long distances, the exhaust from the underregulated cars dirty up the air and make me gag. I hate having a septic tank - I am not able to get a disposal - a daily hassle/problem. Plus I know the builder did a shoddy job of building our home and that would never happen in California - too many Wonderful protections for Cal residents but not here - including privacy issues - I cant believe they forced us to give our soc sec # when we applied for utilities and phone type stuff. Look into the insurance biz here it is just unbelievable what the insurance CZAR is still allowed to force us to pay -this should be outlawed as it has been in California for decades! I can probably come up with more but is late.. good luck to you maybe you will find it less problematic than me ~ OH YEA I would be remiss in not mentioning the abundance of dirty gross smokers that abound - Hopefully California will be my home again some day soon "sigh"
Nobody smokes in CA? They don't have septic tanks in CA? I have sewer and a disposal. And Nordstrom is less than an hour from me. Maybe you just need to try a different part of NC!

Last edited by MAtoNC!; 02-12-2008 at 05:19 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 02-12-2008, 06:10 AM

850 posts, read 3,625,969 times
Wow...sorry you're so unhappy here in NC but it sounds like there may have been some unrealistic expectations IMHO. Its humid in the south....its something we expected, but were pleasantly surprised when we got here because its no more humid than NJ is. NC is def not as progressive as CA or NY/NJ, we knew that about it but made the move anyhow.

The move here isn't for everyone, if you are so very unhappy, I hope you can make it back to CA sooner than later. I mean that sincerely, and not in any smart aleck way.

My family OTOH LOVES it here and without anything in the way of guilt trips any more since the entire family has been to visit and are impressed with our new life and amenities.

Lauren

Old 02-12-2008, 07:16 AM

502 posts, read 1,740,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ateliercollection View Post
Plus I know the builder did a shoddy job of building our home and that would never happen in California - too many Wonderful protections for Cal residents but not here
Some of your complaints have nothing to do with NC, and could happen in any state if you don't do your research before moving. I could give you a long list of negatives with California too... lets start with earthquakes... but this one about the builders caught my eye. I've seen a LOT of shows on TV warning people about shady contractors and I believe that 90% of them were in California, so I think you are completely misrepresenting the situation to say that you'd never have a shoddy builder there. That is just not true. My wife and I will probably never have a house built again, because of some of the stuff you are complaining about. If you buy an existing house, you can see what you are getting because its already built.

I've never lived in San Diego, but from what I understand the weather there is nearly perfect year round... 70s. That being the case, then why would you move to a place that is known for very hot and humid summers?

It sounds like you really didn't do your homework on the Triangle before moving, because a good portion of what you've described (of the real negatives) is information that is readily available.

Old 02-12-2008, 07:17 AM

116 posts, read 471,966 times
Wow...I guess alot of people are dealing with this issue. We just moved from NM 2 months ago. My Mom and Dad also lived 5 min. from us, as well as a lot of other family in the area. Of course my mom was sad to see us (and the grandchildren) go but she understands its a good opportunity for us. The night before we left she even told my husband, tearfully, that she understands why we have to go. Made hiim cry too. No guilt trip from her. But homesickness is REAl, and readjustment is difficult. I miss my mom and "home". Things are "different" here..not worse, just different. You have to expect that.

Old 02-12-2008, 10:03 AM

40 posts, read 122,514 times
I had to just go ahead and find my mom a house here and move her down....close enough to walk, but not close enough to see in my window

Old 02-12-2008, 10:51 AM

2,135 posts, read 7,657,162 times
ateliercollection, I admit that I was being a smart alec with my sarcasm. It is out of frustration. There are people looking at these posts that will think that everyone smokes and sewerage is not available in areas that aren't so rural. It's just not true.

If I had listened to all the misconceptions posted on here I would have written off Wake County and their school system a long time ago! So, I wanted to add my two cents.

Anyway, back to the subject. No, my family didn't give me a guilt trip. Boy, am I glad. I don't have a lot of tolerance for that kind of emotional abuse.

Old 02-12-2008, 11:42 AM

63 posts, read 248,622 times
I have my 2 brothers here in NY as my mom and dad have already passed away. While I love my brothers dearly, I'm especially close to one more so than the other as he only lives a couple of blocks from me and we see each other on a regular basis. While both my brothers have heard me mention how my husband and I want to move to NC, I don't think they took us too seriously. But now, hubby and I are actually driving down this Thursday or Friday to start checking out areas in Raleigh. I think it's starting to really sink in with them that their baby sister might be moving away from NY. On the one hand, I'm very excited because NY hasn't been kind to my husband and we need a new start and a new life. On the other hand, I'm going to miss my brothers terribly. Even though I'm the baby of the family, I feel like I have to be there for them whenever they need me and now when I move, I won't be able to "be there" so to speak.

But like my older brother said, he'll be a phone call away and less than a day's drive.

I'm still scared and nervous and terrified about leaving everyone and everything behind, but my husband and I need to do what's right for us and in the end my brothers will support my decision and give us their blessings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary