Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 04:25 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,203,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCScrapmom View Post
Here's a novel idea: Let's hire a teacher to be head of the school system. I think that most of the problems we see with the school system, including the budget is that these folks don't have the vaguest idea what teachers/schools need to get the job done. They end up spending all of their time rearranging chairs on the deck of the Titanic

At the very least someone with an EDUCATION background? Who'd a thunk..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2010, 04:32 PM

1,751 posts, read 3,686,730 times
[LEFT]Okay, I will say this...Michelle Rhee hand picked him and I thought she had a lot of good ideas (getting into the political scene wasn't one of them). I was sorry to see her get the boot from DC. (I follow the education news there as well...family in the area).

Meanwhile, I'm still puzzling over this quote...
"He will be the CEO of a $1.2 billion business,” said GOP school board member John Tedesco. “There are few and far between the number of leaders of his caliber who have entered Wake County.”

Does this statement actually make any grammatical sense?

[/LEFT]

Old 12-23-2010, 04:44 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,865,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weblackey View Post
... my daughter is no longer school-age.

I wish mine wasn't!!!! I am so tired of the new board members ramming their politics down our throats and not putting kids first. Well, let me correct that, putting "some" kids first and throwing the others to the wolves!

While I am impressed with the man's military credentials, and have the greatest respect for military personnel, and clearly he is an intelligent and accomplished man, I don't know enough about him to know if he was the best candidate. My concern is that the board majority allowed his politican leanings to influence them. And perhaps because of this they felt he'd be a 'Yes" man? Normally I would expect a board to be above this but so far they've shown they are not. Actually I expect a superintendent to be above this too. So I am concerned that he appears to align with the Tea Party kooks. Anyone who thinks Palin is qualified to be president concerns me.

For all our sakes, I hope he is the best person for the job and that he stands up to board if and when needed. The light at the end of the tunnel is that margiotta is outta here next year and whenever Tedesco's time is up many of us will gladly help him pack up his office maybe then our super can do the job without party interference.

Old 12-23-2010, 05:03 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,865,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by librarySue View Post
Meanwhile, I'm still puzzling over this quote"He will be the CEO of a $1.2 billion business,” said GOP school board member John Tedesco. “There are few and far between the number of leaders of his caliber who have entered Wake County.”

Does this statement actually make any grammatical sense?

[/LEFT]
Why it's gibberish from a jabberwock

Old 12-23-2010, 05:27 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,592,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
His very public and on the record pro Sarah Palin comments and anti Obama comments are in the News Observer link if you want to read them and decide for yourself if he will help smooth or stir the current climate in Wake up. Evidently his appointment vote may be today. Perhaps the real question will be if his personal and educational beliefs can be channeled for the best interests of Wake County.
Oh great.
That's just what Wake needs.

Old 12-23-2010, 06:27 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,022,196 times
I am wondering if he was hired to ADMINISTRATE the school system and the board is still expecting to be the one ORIGINATING the developmental thinking of the system.

Old 12-23-2010, 06:28 PM

449 posts, read 699,416 times
Default Sounds like his political 'mentor'

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
Why it's gibberish from a jabberwock
Word salad. It's what's for dinner.

How sad.

Old 12-23-2010, 06:28 PM

1,751 posts, read 3,686,730 times
oh, oh, oh, I just remembered that I have a pink t shirt left over from a breast cancer walk that says "Save the TaTas!"

Maybe someone cleverer than I can go somewhere with that.

Old 12-23-2010, 06:32 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,022,196 times
From what I heard on the news and if it is wrong someone please clarify. There were only six board members at the meeting today and four voted for his appointment. Aren't there nine members and if so does it mean that the record shows him being appointed with the support of something less than a majority? Why weren't they all there for something this important?

Old 12-23-2010, 06:43 PM

449 posts, read 699,416 times
Default Right before Christmas...

Lots of folks go away to visit family, etc.

If I were cynical I might ruminate on the fact that the board (cough cough Tedesco cough) reportedly only had this one candidate lined up... and let's hold that vote two days before Christmas!

Nah, I wouldn't think that, not me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary