Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 09:57 PM

2 posts, read 10,147 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering moving to the North Raleigh/Wake Forest area sometime soon. We are both of hispanic descent, and professionals with post-graduate degrees. Currently, we live in the northern New Jersey area, where there is a high presence of minority groups (even though the town we live in does not reflect that). Based on what we found in the census web site, we know that there are some minorities in the Raleigh/Durham area, but we would like to know a bit more than just numbers. I know this is a sensitive topic, but it is a concern to us because of our young children and what they may experience. Would you say that this area accepts minority groups with open arms, or is there a bit of prejudice there? Again, our concern is mostly for our children and their emotional well being.

Old 08-21-2006, 10:12 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,853,163 times
I don't live in Raleigh (yet) but in my opinion you are not likely to experience any negative behavior toward either your kids or yourselves. When you move in to a neighborhood and live a comparable lifestyle to your neighbors then you should fit right in. By that I mean unless you dry laundry on the shrubs in the front yard or sit on your roof and chant then I don't think anyone is going to have a problem. I live in a rather racially diverse neighborhood in Houston and the only people in our subdivision that have been problems are ones that moved three entire families into a single-family house or one that opened a daycare in their home (where's an HOA when you really need one?). As long as everybody keeps their home and yard up then there shouldn't be an issue. At school if your kids dress like everybody else's kids then they shouldn't have any problems either. Just my opinion but...

Old 08-21-2006, 10:32 AM

37 posts, read 167,235 times
Default My thoughts

Hi When I visited Raleigh ( although it was only the weekend) we did not feel any prejudice, we felt like we fit right in. We saw lots of apartment buildings and also a lot of neighbor hoods in the downtown, Wake Forest, Cary Morrisville Area. I am from Guatemala and my husband is Greek and we are both tanned skin and "look" ethnic. We did not see any "hispanic nieghborhoods" though but perhaps we were not looking in the right area. We are looking for a safe area with lots of things to do with our 3 year old. A walking neighborhood really is what we want. ( a restaurant with some good Cuban coffee would great too) But honestly I did not feel any weird vibes from anyone while we were there. I think the most important thing is what we teach our kids at home and how close we stay to our roots. My 3 year old speaks English, greek and spanish. She sings songs in all three languages and loves Spanikopita as much as she loves Pinatas. Let me know what you think when you visit.

Old 08-22-2006, 08:11 PM

15 posts, read 82,024 times
If there were more interacial couples the world would be a better place. We are a mixed couple too.

Old 08-23-2006, 06:15 AM

1,531 posts, read 7,407,422 times
Well, the more "city-like" the area is, and the less "suburban"....then the higher the diversity is likely to be.

Old 09-02-2006, 11:33 PM

34 posts, read 144,170 times
Default think Durham for diversity

I'm new to Durham, am sitting here in my tobacco warehouse loft on North Duke looking out the window on the Durham School of the Arts School. I moved here from a very nice, urban setting in Pittsburgh, PA. Pittsburgh is a fantastic city with arts, culture, parks, trees, and so much character. But, I love Durham! And, I have driven through Raleigh and looked around and for the most part, it strikes me as suburban sprawl. Durham, on the other hand, has character and charm. It's small but has so much in so little space. Raleigh seems completely over-rated, and CARY is completely over-rated, unless you want to live a vapid, suburban-sprawling, white-washed, homogeneous techno-geek strip mall! Go for it if you do. For those who are Afro-phobic, however, Durham isn't for you. As for me, I find it very refreshing to live in a town where racial integration is a reality and not just some b.s. on a bumper-sticker in some weak-kneed liberal suburb. The media coverage of the Duke scandal painted Durham in all the wrong light. The Northeast is actually more segregated and Afro-phobic than Durham, for example. Hispanics are well-represented here as well. I find Durham, as close to Duke as you can get, to the very best place for diversity, tolerance of alternative lifestyles including gay and lesbian, racial integration, sophistication and cultural appreciation. Close to Duke.

Old 09-02-2006, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighRob View Post
Well, the more "city-like" the area is, and the less "suburban"....then the higher the diversity is likely to be.
Absolutely, RaleighRob.

Old 09-03-2006, 09:14 PM

Glad you're here! Also very glad to see someone here who is living in Durham and liking it. (The city gets bad-mouthed here WAY too often and I'm one of only a few who stick up for it!)
As far as Raleigh and sprawll.....yeah true, except areas in and around downtown & NCSU, where it's just as "urban" as Durham is---except with better lighting.
But North Raleigh, Cary and the other Wake County suburbs...I agree with you totally. Nothing but sprawl.

Have you visited nearby Carrboro yet, on the other side of ChapelHill? It's a perfect example of how a small town can be urban instead of sprawl. Check it out sometime....it's everything Cary SHOULD have been, but will NEVER be.

I'm glad you're happy in Durham. If I worked there or in RTP, I'd live in Durham at the drop of a hat. No qualms or silly "urban-o-phobic" feelings about it whatsoever. I live in Raleigh cuz I work here, simply put. I like both cities tons better than where I grew up, the suburban outskirts of Winston-Salem, a very conservative place.

Hope you enjoy your life here...and hope you'll continue to visit these forums. There are too-few cheerleaders for Durham here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by walden9 View Post
I'm new to Durham, am sitting here in my tobacco warehouse loft on North Duke looking out the window on the Durham School of the Arts School. I moved here from a very nice, urban setting in Pittsburgh, PA. Pittsburgh is a fantastic city with arts, culture, parks, trees, and so much character. But, I love Durham! And, I have driven through Raleigh and looked around and for the most part, it strikes me as suburban sprawl. Durham, on the other hand, has character and charm. It's small but has so much in so little space. Raleigh seems completely over-rated, and CARY is completely over-rated, unless you want to live a vapid, suburban-sprawling, white-washed, homogeneous techno-geek strip mall! Go for it if you do. For those who are Afro-phobic, however, Durham isn't for you. As for me, I find it very refreshing to live in a town where racial integration is a reality and not just some b.s. on a bumper-sticker in some weak-kneed liberal suburb. The media coverage of the Duke scandal painted Durham in all the wrong light. The Northeast is actually more segregated and Afro-phobic than Durham, for example. Hispanics are well-represented here as well. I find Durham, as close to Duke as you can get, to the very best place for diversity, tolerance of alternative lifestyles including gay and lesbian, racial integration, sophistication and cultural appreciation. Close to Duke.

Old 09-03-2006, 09:21 PM

^By the way...warehouse loft condo? I'm so freaking jealous!!!!!!

Old 09-03-2006, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighRob View Post
Glad you're here! Also very glad to see someone here who is living in Durham and liking it. (The city gets bad-mouthed here WAY too often and I'm one of only a few who stick up for it!)
As far as Raleigh and sprawll.....yeah true, except areas in and around downtown & NCSU, where it's just as "urban" as Durham is---except with better lighting.
But North Raleigh, Cary and the other Wake County suburbs...I agree with you totally. Nothing but sprawl.

Have you visited nearby Carrboro yet, on the other side of ChapelHill? It's a perfect example of how a small town can be urban instead of sprawl. Check it out sometime....it's everything Cary SHOULD have been, but will NEVER be.

I'm glad you're happy in Durham. If I worked there or in RTP, I'd live in Durham at the drop of a hat. No qualms or silly "urban-o-phobic" feelings about it whatsoever. I live in Raleigh cuz I work here, simply put. I like both cities tons better than where I grew up, the suburban outskirts of Winston-Salem, a very conservative place.

Hope you enjoy your life here...and hope you'll continue to visit these forums. There are too-few cheerleaders for Durham here!
Thanks, Rob. After visiting Raleigh tonight, this time right down there on Glenwood, I find that it is a great area and I would like it very much. I seem to be in the same situation as you, only inverted. That is, I could very well live in Raleigh, but as I work in Durham, I find it to be just great. I'm finding some people to talk to, but as you've seen in another post, I'm a little shy and haven't quite connected with a community from which I might find friends, outside of the university itself that is. But I've just begun. Relocating is just hard, period. I'm doing well though and Durham is a great little city. I will check out Carborro very soon. Almost moved there but I work East here so stayed East. I try not to drive unless going far. I walk to grocery stores, etc, and work. I love this place. More to learn and love as time goes on. Thanks you for being so welcoming. Cheers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary