Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 03:46 PM

198 posts, read 910,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayral View Post
i moved here to teach nearly 3 years ago and cannot wait to go back to Ohio. I really miss the feel of a northern city, and I especially miss the seasons. I love NC, and always vacationed here as a kid, but for settling down it isnt what I hoped it would be, and I find myself frustrated with the same things you are.

Please note: I am not dogging NC, I am just Homesick. My husband and I plan to move after he finishes his National Boards.

I agree with you 100%. Indianapolis for me. Those very seasons I ran from I will now miss. When I went home last weekend it was "cold" to me...around 60 degrees in the middle of a Friday afternoon but by 1:00pm it was 86degrees! I miss that crazy weather and cant wait for fall for boots and coats and then the snow again! I think this time I will have a renewed appreciation for my town and I will just travel more when I get a bug...that or go out west since the south is not for me. I guess I am too "city-fied"....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2007, 04:02 PM

331 posts, read 1,126,817 times
I spent some time in Indianapolis and liked it. I even have some family that moved from CLT to Indy.

If you love the place and have ties to the area then why did you even consider leaving?

Old 07-26-2007, 06:41 PM

164 posts, read 690,398 times
I moved from family and hometown 5 yrs ago. Moved to maryland and lived there for 5 yrs and just moved to nc 4 months ago. I felt same way when i moved to maryland but the started working and made friends. Now the move to nc has been rougher to me because I am further away from family and friends and have no friends here nor a job yet. I did have a job but not after today I dont. I love the area I am in which is Creedmoor. The neighbors are great and and alot better then maryland. But just family, friend and job sick. I have been so stressed out since we moved here. I even did leave for 3 days to go back to NJ , well, for other reasons as well, but I was homesick from being with fiance here in nc. I sometimes just dont know what to do or what i want. good luck.

Old 07-26-2007, 06:44 PM

607 posts, read 2,430,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suncat View Post
I remember the date too, Lizardlips. Gosh, you probably had some damage up there in the Valley. I was just a little girl, but I remember it being really strong even down in Redondo Beach.
Oh my gosh, Redondo Beach!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I graduated from Redondo Union High school. Did you go there??

Old 07-26-2007, 10:05 PM

579 posts, read 2,863,427 times
Even if I could afford it (which I can't), I would NEVER go back home (Westchester, NY). I hate to even visit there now. The quality of life is just sooo different and we really love it here and make the most of it. I have a 3 day rule when I visit there and then I gotta go HOME to NC. Whoever said you notice things when you go back wasn't kidding! I notice things about being there now when I go back that I never saw in 28 years of living there (my whole life up to that point, lol). I'd say it takes a good year to get really adjusted. We're here 5 years now and can't forsee living anywhere else.

Old 08-28-2007, 07:21 PM

770 posts, read 3,680,466 times
Many people CAN not afford to go back because the houses are so expensive. An average house here in MD/NJ/NY is in the 450K. Once you sell and move to NC there is no coming back.

Old 08-28-2007, 08:37 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,282,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Njrover0216 View Post
Many people CAN not afford to go back because the houses are so expensive. An average house here in MD/NJ/NY is in the 450K. Once you sell and move to NC there is no coming back.
I think it is true that some people can't afford moving back to where they came from because of increased taxes, lack of employment opportunities ect ..... but that there are just as many if not more who can if the chose to do so. It's not like people are stuck here if they are unhappy. Just look at the highly publicized NJ real estate market that has been tanking over the past few years. If you sold your 450K house in NJ last year moved to Raleigh and bought a $450K house and decided you wanted to move back to NJ after a year, you would have a better time of selling your home here in NC than back in NJ in that flooded market. And since the NJ market has been sinking you could easily go back and scoop up a house for at most what you sold for a year ago. You might even get a comparable home for cheaper! Where I am from (Jersey Shore Monmouth County / Ocean County Area) the prices have been FALLING in that part of NJ the past year or two.

It's almost like dealing with stocks and selling high and buying low. Somebody who cashed out of NJ in recent years should have little problem buying back a year or two later into it when it comes to home values.

Like I said earlier, I think there are very few people who are "stuck" here. I'm from NJ, I don't want to go back, but I could if I wanted to. Where there is a will there is a way!

Old 08-28-2007, 08:46 PM

2,275 posts, read 6,307,447 times
I moved here from Houston almost six years ago. No way would I move back. Sure, there are a few things I miss - particular restaurants, some close friends - but I can always go back to visit. NC is my home.

Old 08-29-2007, 12:06 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Seriously folks...I understand it's normal in Raleigh, but it really is not normal elsewhere in American cities for two-lane rural roads extending out of town being used as major thoroughfares (e.g. Jones Sausage/White Oak in SE Raleigh). That doesn't happen in Indianapolis.

If you've only lived in Raleigh or you've only lived in the sticks, then no, you're not really going to notice. The problem is that a lot of people from somewhere else are coming there and putting more strain on an infrastructure the state doesn't really seem committed to keeping up to speed.
Since when does living in Indianapolis give one the total insight of what life is like in cities across America? I have been in MANY growing cities across this country and it's seems to me that it's completely normal to have two lane roads on the metro edges where expansion lags the exploding population growth. In a way, I can understand why someone moving from Indiana would wouldn't understand what explosive growth is or how to deal with it. Simply put, Indiana doesn't deal with these problems because people aren't rushing to Indiana in droves.
According to the US Census Bureau, the US grew by 6.4% since 2000. Indiana grew much slower at 3.8% while North Carolina grew by 10.1%. In 1960, Indiana was larger than NC by a little more than 100,000. 40 years later, North Carolina was larger by almost 2 million. That difference will more than double by 2030. Marion County, IN grew 7.9% in the decade leading up to the last census in 2000 while Wake County grew by 48.3%. While Marion County is larger still than Wake, it's not going to be long before Wake passes it in population. Since '00 and through '06, Marion County grew by a whopping 00.58% bring its total to about 865K from 860K. On the other hand, Wake grew by a bit more than 24% in that same time period to 786K. My guess is that by the 2010 Census, Wake will be larger in population than Marion. So, excuse us for not being able to to live up to your "city" expectations.

Please let me add tha I am delighted that people move into the Triangle and bring with them the diversity of ideas and energy that makes the entire Metro an exciting place to watch grow. However, when people move here and complain about the problems they are in fact causing and then pawn it off as if the area is incompetent or not a real city, etc., I lose all patience. So, by all means, come and be a part of this dynamic emerging city/metro or stay where you are.

Old 08-29-2007, 03:39 AM

285 posts, read 1,039,882 times
Moving back to where I had been living wouldn't be an option, even if I wanted to, and I don't.

Both my husband and I have somewhat specialized jobs, and as such, we can't just pick up and move somewhere else without finding another job first. In my case, it's essential that we live somewhere where the economy is research-driven, and where there are universities, and the more the better. Outside of the Triangle, that limits me to larger cities, for the most part. I lived in Montana and Vermont directly before moving here, and there just isn't the infrastructure for either one of us to feel confident in our employment.

I am sure that others who moved here are in the same boat. Sometimes, the job situation is pretty good so you overlook the things you don't like in an area.

That all said, we're happy here and will stick it out until retirement, after which we're hoping to keep a base home here but perhaps have a tiny retreat somewhere in the mountains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary