Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2010, 06:31 PM

39 posts, read 92,245 times

Advertisements

With the possibility of relocating to work at DUMC, I would like to know what you like and dislike about the area. I know all about the heat in the summers, I lived in SC for 4 years. I hear all about high taxes in Chapel Hill but define high. For example, a 250k pays _________ in taxes compared to _________ in __________ with a very god school district. Feel free to share your thoughts on other things as well. We have 5 kids and 4 play soccer. Tell me about CASL or Triangle Futbal Club..............
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2010, 07:40 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,952,943 times
Chapel Hill tax rates are around 1.6%, so you'll pay roughly $4000 in taxes on a $250K house.

Of course, finding a house for $250K in Chapel Hill that will fit 7 people is pretty tough, unless you have alot of bunk beds.

Old 12-30-2010, 07:45 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,774,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Culvsy View Post
With the possibility of relocating to work at DUMC, I would like to know what you like and dislike about the area. I know all about the heat in the summers, I lived in SC for 4 years. I hear all about high taxes in Chapel Hill but define high. For example, a 250k pays _________ in taxes compared to _________ in __________ with a very god school district. Feel free to share your thoughts on other things as well. We have 5 kids and 4 play soccer. Tell me about CASL or Triangle Futbal Club..............
So (just based on your subject line) how do any of those questions have anything to do with Michigan? Are only Michiganders allowed to answer?

Old 12-30-2010, 08:16 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,142,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Culvsy View Post
Don't know much about Chapel Hill (we are from another part of Michigan I guess--the part with less money)BUT we do know about North Carolina vs. the North Country.

Life is BETTER here. I can say that the $125K house we left in Michigan had $4300 annual taxes and about the same house here has less than $800 annual taxes...
That's about all I gotta say about that..

Last edited by zthatzmanz28; 12-30-2010 at 09:12 PM..

Old 12-30-2010, 08:32 PM

I'm asking for generalized opinions. When you listen to locals, it's difficult to decipher what is high when it comes to taxes. I'm interested in hearing anything about similar topics listed in the body and title. Where I live now, 4k in taxes seems kinda normal. Good school district, but I woudln't say extraordinary. Locals are free to chime in.

Old 12-30-2010, 09:13 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,142,569 times
Property taxes== LOWER
Car Insurance=== LOWER
Plates=== LOWER
Real Estate+++ LOWER
Food== HIGHER
Medical--HIGHER
Sales Tax-- Some counties are higher, some the same.

NC Peace of mind and lifestyle--PRICELESS!

We left the Detroit area in early 2009.

Old 12-30-2010, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Property taxes== LOWER
Car Insurance=== LOWER
Plates=== LOWER
Real Estate+++ LOWER
Food== HIGHER
Medical--HIGHER
Sales Tax-- Some counties are higher, some the same.

NC Peace of mind and lifestyle--PRICELESS!

We left the Detroit area in early 2009.
That's what I'm looking for.

Old 12-30-2010, 10:19 PM

406 posts, read 786,943 times
My wife and I are moving back to Michigan in the spring (after 3 years).
The Triangle just isn't for us.

Old 12-31-2010, 05:48 AM

2,058 posts, read 5,852,792 times
I'm originally from MI, and while we've toyed with the idea to go back to the midwest, I just can't do it. Lifestyle and social culture here is much more my style. The sky is blue, the air is warm, the people are friendly, the mountains are close, the beach is even closer. It's about as good as it gets if you compare it to SE Michigan (which is where I'm from). Good luck... Sorry to hear that you can't find your groove here wjs. It took us a while to settle in, but we're happy here.

Old 12-31-2010, 06:03 AM

41 posts, read 58,799 times
Well I lived most my life in MI then in FL and now am thinking of relocating to NC. For me MI has too extreme winters and my health has a hard time with that. Though the area in MI I am from is priced well and is safe. The part of FL I am in now is overpriced and summers are so long with heat/humidity. So NC or possibly South seems like a middle ground but I could be wrong. I know there is no perfect now too.
Good luck in what you decide
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary