Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 10:37 PM

62 posts, read 130,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Once more, is there a particular industry or even company you are asking about?
No. I would be changing industries upon a move to, ahem, Raleigh or Durham.

And for the record, Dallas/Fort Worth is called DFW ALL the time, despite loud protests from the fine citizens of Ft. Worth. I made a bad assumption.

It's noted, though. Is there a preferred abbreviation that y'all are withholding from me till I'm in the club?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2011, 05:51 AM

310 posts, read 574,742 times
Quote:
Is there a preferred abbreviation that y'all are withholding from me till I'm in the club?
I haven't really found an acceptable abbreviation. I guess the Triangle would be the most accepted term although I'd be down with "The 919", yo.

As far as work environment, it is tough to say. This ain't New York, but outside of that I don't think one can generalize. Even at my company some people set their watch to beep at quitting time and some people come in to work on their vacation days.

Cree seems to be the 919's () version of Dell, maybe even worse from what I've heard.

Old 01-02-2011, 09:02 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,881,608 times
Quote:
Right--to the OP, nobody, I mean nobody (except you) refers to this area as "R/D". Raleigh is a city and Durham is a city, and the area in general is known as "The Triangle". "Raleigh/Durham" is an airport, like "Dallas/Ft Worth". I, too, saw "R/D" and thought you meant research and development.

That always has been one of my (and many Tarheels) pet peeves. I remember being at concert, one of those all day festivals with no bands you ever heard of. A band came out on the stage with a "make some noise RDU" and got booed

Old 01-02-2011, 09:10 AM

797 posts, read 3,573,885 times
Well here is my personal job situation:

I work in the pharmaceutical industry here in the Raleigh/Durham area and I rarely work more than 40 hours a week. We get to wear t-shirts and jeans to work everyday as there is no dress code. In fact, we are even able to bring our dogs to work with us on a daily basis. Clearly, its an awesome place to work and I do not take it for granted.

Old 01-02-2011, 09:15 AM

5,733 posts, read 17,568,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Bee View Post
And for the record, Dallas/Fort Worth is called DFW ALL the time, despite loud protests from the fine citizens of Ft. Worth.
When referring to the airport, generally "DFW" is used. When referring to the entire city area consisting of Dallas, Fort Worth, and surrounding cities, "Dallas/Ft Worth metroplex" is often used, or simply "Dallas/Ft Worth".

Old 01-02-2011, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
When referring to the airport, generally "DFW" is used. When referring to the entire city area consisting of Dallas, Fort Worth, and surrounding cities, "Dallas/Ft Worth metroplex" is often used, or simply "Dallas/Ft Worth".
Um, having lived in Texas almost my entire life, I promise that DFW is used with regularity throughout the state. 'The Metroplex' as well.

Old 01-02-2011, 10:38 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,774,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
As the one who first introduced that comparison, I now see that it might not have been the best one, because "Dallas/Ft Worth" is the name of the metroplex as referred to from elsewhere, because those two cities define the region. But Raleigh and Durham are only two of the cities that constitute "The Triangle". Saying "Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill" would be the more precisely way to refer to this whoe general area by city names. But now that Cary is larger than Chapel Hill, many Cary residents want to include Cary in the mix as well (see the forum name). And, to confuse it more, the "official" metropolitan areas have now been split, from the old "Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill" to "Raleigh/Cary" and "Durham/Chapel Hill".

Still, "The Triangle" is the most common and recognized way to define the whole metro--which then becomes problematic when you're using it outside this area, similar to when someone refers to their own "Tri-Cities area" and you don't, right off, know what they mean. When I'm at national meetings (conventions, etc) and make references to where my group is from, I will use "Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill".

This may be veering off-topic, but maybe not, because how a place refers to itself might indeed be considered an aspect of the "culture"

Old 01-02-2011, 10:57 AM

Quote:
As the one who first introduced that comparison, I now see that it might not have been the best one, because "Dallas/Ft Worth" is the name of the metroplex as referred to from elsewhere, because those two cities define the region. But Raleigh and Durham are only two of the cities that constitute "The Triangle". Saying "Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill" would be the more precisely way to refer to this whoe general area by city names. But now that Cary is larger than Chapel Hill, many Cary residents want to include Cary in the mix as well (see the forum name). And, to confuse it more, the "official" metropolitan areas have now been split, from the old "Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill" to "Raleigh/Cary" and "Durham/Chapel Hill".

Still, "The Triangle" is the most common and recognized way to define the whole metro--which then becomes problematic when you're using it outside this area, similar to when someone refers to their own "Tri-Cities area" and you don't, right off, know what they mean. When I'm at national meetings (conventions, etc) and make references to where my group is from, I will use "Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill".

This may be veering off-topic, but maybe not, because how a place refers to itself might indeed be considered an aspect of the "culture"
I'd definitely call it culture. If not then what is?

The Triangle works for me, especially in context. Thanks for the additional input!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary