Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2011, 12:34 AM

3 posts, read 14,782 times

Advertisements

We have been looking for a new home in the Durham area, and our focus has been narrowed to southwest Durham--not far from the mall at Southpoint. We've looked at homes in lots of neighborhoods, including Hope Valley Farms, Grandale, Woodcroft, Woodlake, Chancellors Ridge, Audubon Park, Settlers Mill, Eagles Pointe, and Chadsford. All of these neighborhoods have great homes, but one home in Chadsford has really captured our interest. We know Hillside HS does not have a good record, but we understand that parents can request that their children attend another school; Jordan HS seems to be one that is preferred. Even though we do not have children of school age, we know that schools affect home values. We know, too, that a new school is being built to relieve Jordan and one other high school. Can you give us some information about Chadsford? Where do Chadsford parents send their children to school? Are they happy where they are living? It seems like a great neighborhood. Have their been any crime issues? There is no pool in Chadsford. Is there one nearby that Chadsford families join? We currently live in the Atlanta area and our excited about moving to Durham. We really need to live about halfway between Burlington and Cary (along I40). We appreciate whatever insight you can provide to us about southwest Durham and particularly Chadsford.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2011, 06:43 AM

915 posts, read 2,383,763 times
The new high school is being built off of N Duke St, near Durham Regional Hospital. Those living in South Durham will probably not be sent there.

For more info on schools in Durham, check out this website: Strong Durham Schools

There are public (city) pools in Durham that one can go to. There is also a pool at the Downtown Y (along with a full service fitness center). This is going to sound pretty backward, but I would also recommend checking out the different lakes and quarries you can swim in.

I don't have a pool, so instead I go to the Eno Quarry whenever I desire a swim. It's pretty deep, but if you bring something to float on then it is the perfect place to go all summer. It's also 200 meters across in one direction, so it is quite easy to get some distance swimming in. Jordan Lake isn't too far from Southern Durham, and there are little beaches and such you can set up on and get some swimming in. It all depends on how often you like to go and what kind of experience you want.

In terms of crime, generally, Durham's crime rate has been decreasing steadily for the past 5 years. This past year, overall, the crime rate has bumped up a small amount. The thought is due to the recession-- more people out of work, so more crime. South Durham is one of the low spots for crime in the city. I can't think of any specific high profile crime that has happened anywhere near those communities recently, but you can check for yourself at the Durham Police Department's website: Durham Police Department

Also, one last piece of info regarding Chancellor's Ridge specifically: there is a plan for a 1300 home neighborhood to go in across the street from that development. Some people like it, because it will bring along with it more retail/grocery stores. Others are dreading the 30,000 car trips a day that developers think it will bring along Route 751. The new development is still in its approval stages, and needs to get both annexed by the city and approved for sewer/water hookup, so it still may not happen at the density that the developers want. It is just something to be mindful of-- if you want to live across the street from a forest, then Chancellor's Ridge may not be the place for you.

Old 01-02-2011, 07:01 AM

222 posts, read 546,119 times
The Chadsford location is great in terms of convenience. I used to rent a house just across the street in Woodlake and miss how close everything was sometimes. I'm not sure on the crime stats. The central area also means it's a bit on the fringe between the good and not-as-good areas of Durham, but I never felt unsafe in our neighborhood. There was at least one string of about three break-ins on the same street in Woodlake while I lived there, but that was all I heard of. You might want to look up the crime stats for yourself, though. As for the pool, I know that Woodcroft has a pool non-residents can join.

The school zone was something I couldn't get around, though. I don't know if it's also districted to Parkwood Elementary, but Woodlake was, and I just couldn't handle being districted to all less desirable schools for K-12. Thankfully, Durham has very good school choice policy. Most people in Woodlake sent their kids elsewhere. Pearsontown is right around the corner and a very good school, and many seemed to go to Forest View as well. I have no idea what people did for high school. I actually don't remember many high school looking kids in the neighborhood, and I wonder if it's related. We could have figured something out with school choice, but I chose to go with a sure bet when we purchased in a better school zone.

Southwest Durham is a great area. I really love it here. It has a little bit of everything. It has the convenience of big boxes and chains surburbia along with amazing independent restaurants and shops and so many things to do so unique to Durham.

Old 01-02-2011, 12:04 PM

Thank you so much for all of the information you've provided! We're trying to make a decision about the house in Chadsford, and your information really helps. We know that right now the school situation doesn't affect us, but it could if and when we ever decide to sell. Other than the school problem, would you recommend this area or do you have other reservations? We really are flying blind, so to speak. Are there other subdivision in Southwest Durham that you'd advise someone to look over?

Again, thank you for your help!

Old 01-02-2011, 12:15 PM

Default subdivisions in southwest Durham and pools

Thank you so much for all of the information about swimming pool, quarry, and lake possibilities. Actually, we love the idea of using beaches on Jordan Lake! We also really appreciate the information about Chancellor's Ridge. This is another neighborhood we really like and have been considering, so it truly helps to have this additional information.

Questions: Other than the school problem, would you recommend this area or do you have other reservations? Are there other subdivisions in Southwest Durham that you'd advise someone to look over?

Again, thank you for your help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by peperoberto View Post
The new high school is being built off of N Duke St, near Durham Regional Hospital. Those living in South Durham will probably not be sent there.

For more info on schools in Durham, check out this website: Strong Durham Schools

There are public (city) pools in Durham that one can go to. There is also a pool at the Downtown Y (along with a full service fitness center). This is going to sound pretty backward, but I would also recommend checking out the different lakes and quarries you can swim in.

I don't have a pool, so instead I go to the Eno Quarry whenever I desire a swim. It's pretty deep, but if you bring something to float on then it is the perfect place to go all summer. It's also 200 meters across in one direction, so it is quite easy to get some distance swimming in. Jordan Lake isn't too far from Southern Durham, and there are little beaches and such you can set up on and get some swimming in. It all depends on how often you like to go and what kind of experience you want.

In terms of crime, generally, Durham's crime rate has been decreasing steadily for the past 5 years. This past year, overall, the crime rate has bumped up a small amount. The thought is due to the recession-- more people out of work, so more crime. South Durham is one of the low spots for crime in the city. I can't think of any specific high profile crime that has happened anywhere near those communities recently, but you can check for yourself at the Durham Police Department's website: Durham Police Department

Also, one last piece of info regarding Chancellor's Ridge specifically: there is a plan for a 1300 home neighborhood to go in across the street from that development. Some people like it, because it will bring along with it more retail/grocery stores. Others are dreading the 30,000 car trips a day that developers think it will bring along Route 751. The new development is still in its approval stages, and needs to get both annexed by the city and approved for sewer/water hookup, so it still may not happen at the density that the developers want. It is just something to be mindful of-- if you want to live across the street from a forest, then Chancellor's Ridge may not be the place for you.

Old 01-02-2011, 12:27 PM

222 posts, read 546,119 times
Sending you a DM with some more info...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary