Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 10:59 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,095,324 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if there are many Triangle companies that allow employees to work at home. (For this question, I'm not including real estate agents, who have always been pretty independent, or stay-at-home parents, who I know work very hard at home.)

Do you work at home for a Triangle company? All of the time? Part of the time? What type of work?

Do you think the recession has made it more common (saving the employer money on office space, utilities, computer maintenance)? Or less common? Or has the economic downtown made no difference?

Do you think more Triangle companies will allow employees to work at home in the future? Or fewer? Why or why not?

I would think that such (potential) factors as $5/gal gas might make it a more-popular option than it is now.

What do you think? What's the status of working at home in the Triangle? What is the future?

Last edited by lovebrentwood; 01-02-2011 at 11:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2011, 11:12 AM

1,357 posts, read 4,027,963 times
My agency allows me to work from home (non profit work) though I have office space as well, so I usually only work from home when I'm sick, the weather is bad, or feeling extremely lazy. I'm more productive in the office, and if I was a boss I'd be concerned that my employees were less productive at home due to distractions, etc., but it seems to be pretty popular. There are three employees that work from home because we simply don't have the space for them in our current office (and don't want to shell out the money to move right now) and because their jobs require them to work non-traditional hours and often in the community, so they don't really need the space anyway. I'm out of the office most of the day as well but couldn't completely work from home unless my boss provided me with a fax line, so that's a major reason of why I tend to go in to the office.

I think in an economic climate where people may not be paid what they think they're worth, working from home can be seen as a benefit because parents don't have to use sick time when their children are home from school, they can work the hours that suit them, etc.

Old 01-02-2011, 11:25 AM

371 posts, read 1,218,857 times
Our company allows us to work from home if need be. I always prefer working from office since it is less stressful for me working from there (as I interact with people, take breaks etc). If I work from home I usually confine myself to my home office and put a lot more stress.

Old 01-02-2011, 07:55 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,901,711 times
I work from home. In my experience, the number of acquaintances who WAH 100% of the time has skyrocketed over the past few years. Even the number who WAH only a few days of week has gone up too.

I think many companies are making the move toward encouraging WAH - if not encouraging it, at least permitting it. In a tough economy where companies may be limited in employee perks and raises, the telecommute option is a good retention perk.

Old 01-03-2011, 06:14 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,600,888 times
I work from home 100% of the time too but my company is located out of state. My last company was in RTP and I worked from home one day a week - I work in clinical research - it's a great perk. I miss good coworkers but given the cost of gas these days I love it. A lot of people in my industry work from home at least part of the time. I often hear dogs barking during conference calls :-P (sometimes mine, ugh)

Old 01-03-2011, 06:53 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,938,023 times
We have some heavy-travel jobs in my company for which we hire people regardless of location (i.e., they don't have to be near an office), and those individuals work from home when not travelling.

For most other jobs, we actively discourage work-from-home arrangements, although working from home on an occassional basis is certainly permitted.

Old 01-03-2011, 06:57 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,095,324 times
Why do you actively discourage them? Have you had bad experiences with workers working from home?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
We have some heavy-travel jobs in my company for which we hire people regardless of location (i.e., they don't have to be near an office), and those individuals work from home when not travelling.

For most other jobs, we actively discourage work-from-home arrangements, although working from home on an occassional basis is certainly permitted.

Old 01-03-2011, 07:05 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,938,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
Why do you actively discourage them? Have you had bad experiences with workers working from home?
A variety of factors. Working from home creates disengaged workers who are not part of a team, and who don't fully collaborate and communicate regarding issues on which they are engaged. There is a huge value to the incidental contacts that happen during the course of a day within an office. Individuals who work from home rarely have contact with individuals with whom they are not directly working. Those who work from home are also often less connected the company itself, and long term retention becomes a problem. For the individual, working from home can limit advancement opportunities as well.

Old 01-03-2011, 07:20 AM

257 posts, read 713,379 times
Working from home depends on the company, and can also depend on the department manager you work for, such as is the case at my company. Unfortunately for me, my department is only allowed to work from home if absolutely necessary. I really hate having to use vacation time or making up the time later for things like having to be at home for letting a repair person in (especially since they usually give a time window they'll be there, not an exact time).

Old 01-03-2011, 07:40 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,600,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
A variety of factors. Working from home creates disengaged workers who are not part of a team, and who don't fully collaborate and communicate regarding issues on which they are engaged. There is a huge value to the incidental contacts that happen during the course of a day within an office. Individuals who work from home rarely have contact with individuals with whom they are not directly working. Those who work from home are also often less connected the company itself, and long term retention becomes a problem. For the individual, working from home can limit advancement opportunities as well.
Just not true, CH - every facet of my job involves working as part of a team, being engaged, and communicating. It depends on the employee. In my field, someone who wouldn't do well working from home would be weeded out anyway because the lack of those skills would show up in other ways. Granted, it can be a little harder when you don't have the face to face, but I'd say long term retention is more likely in my company because of the telecommute arrangement. You've got to trust the employees, but you've also got to pick employees who can be trusted. This is just my experience in my field/company though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary