Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 08:57 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,754,355 times

Advertisements

Our family made it across country (2 by plane and 2 by car). And our stuff even showed up a little earlier than we expected. Whoaa!

I drove x- country with our 7 year old son.... we had an unforgetable adventure! I highly recommend it.... as long as you have a video iPod for the kids. It was a necessity in Kansas!

Everyone in NC has been very friendly and welcoming which is refreshing. The tomatoes are even better and watermelon is sweeter than I remember!! And it's not been too hot or humid or buggy so far. Who could ask for more?

I think it's going to take some getting use to some of the drivers. I've been honked at more times than I can count for going the speed limit. But that's just some drivers.... not all.

I've been lost quite a few times too. But many folks have had a great sense of humor when I ask them for direction. That helps to ease the frustration of driving unnecessary miles.

Yesterday I got lost and I'm glad I did! I ended up at Brightleaf Square and discovered Otis & Parker's. LOVED the feel, food, and people. It's a smallish speciality grocery but they have a HUGE beer selection. The even had Rogue Valley Ale from Southern Oregon. Microbrew fans go there for your favs.... the owner even takes suggestions on what to carry. They also have an amazing candy selection so I'll be taking the kids back there. Oh, and they do lunch.... panini's and such.

I also stopped and drooled at The Kress Building. The outside has many beautiful art deco reliefs! Driving through Trinity Park area made me home sick for my old Portland neighborhood. So if you see a car in that area with Oregon Plates pulled over with the driver gawking at the old houses it's probably me.

I appreciate so many of you on this board who have provided info that helped us make our decisions about our move! You guys are GREAT! I hope to put some faces with screen names at a meet up! Thanks again! And for you those of you still in the process, your time is coming soon! Hang in there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2007, 09:04 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,056,422 times
HOORAY! Welcome home, PDXmom! It's great to have you here.

Old 07-15-2007, 10:52 PM

920 posts, read 2,812,885 times
Congratulations on completing your trip and starting your new life! I'm envious, as I wish I was out of Portland and living in Raleigh. My time will come in 2008.

I'll probably be visiting in the late fall and would love to hear about your impressions of Raleigh vs. Portland. It's already a telltale sign that you find the friendly people "refreshing." It's a nice change, isn't it?

Old 07-16-2007, 04:23 AM

1,515 posts, read 6,981,776 times
Hooray! Congrats on your move!

Durham, right? If so, make sure you check out South Point mall. Especially the outside section of it. On both sides of the mall, there is another shopping center. At the front and across the street, there is a Pier 1, world market, linens & things, best buy and alot of other shops. Behind the mall, there is a Michaels, Target, Home goods and more. Now, behind the mall in that shopping center, stop for lunch sometime at Doc Green's. Gourmet salads, soups and sandwiches...SOOOOOOOO GOOD!!!!

Good luck! Let us know if you have any questions!

Old 07-16-2007, 06:15 AM

4,606 posts, read 7,688,037 times
It is very nice to hear so much excitement and congrats on reaching NC,

Old 07-16-2007, 06:51 AM

2,058 posts, read 5,860,497 times
Welcome to NC and to Durham!

Old 07-16-2007, 07:18 AM

29 posts, read 96,206 times
Default Congrads!!

I am glad to have another former PDX gal in NC. We got here in April (landed in Fuquay) and truley love it. There is a few more bugs righ now than I would like (more than Florida) but that just means we will put in a screened area and put more spay on the kids' legs....

Welcome and good luck getting everything unpacked!!

Old 07-16-2007, 08:14 AM

607 posts, read 2,430,656 times
PDX!!
Welcome. I am so excited you made it here safe and sound, and actually had a fun trip across country!!!
I hope you and yours will be able to make the meetup on July 28th. I cannot wait to meet everyone.
Liz

Old 07-16-2007, 08:40 AM

959 posts, read 4,492,718 times
Yes welcome home to Durham pdxmom!!! We'll have to get the kiddos together at some point Hope you guys can make it to the meetup!

Old 07-16-2007, 10:35 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,852,599 times
To those of you leaving Portland and going to Raleigh (and neighboring places), what is the primary reason for your relocation? We are likely going to be moving to Raleigh as soon as my husband retires in early 2010. However my sister who lives in Oregon (Corvallis) and a good friend who is moving from Houston to Portland in September are trying to persuade us to change our plans and move to Portland. Tell me why Raleigh is a better choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary