Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 06:38 AM

3 posts, read 16,529 times

Advertisements

I live in Keystone Crossing and received a phone call from Perry Builders stating that all warranty work is on hold until further notice. They have stopped all construction and it is rumor that they laid almost the entire company off. I hope they are not going out of business......because I have a boat load of items that they are still contracted to do on my home.

Old 11-01-2008, 06:42 AM

3 posts, read 16,529 times
Another note......although my superintendent was a complete pain to deal with......my house is full of standard features that would normally cost a lot to upgrade to with other builders. I love my home and Keystone Crossing......I just want everything that was promised to me to be completed in a timely and efficient manner. An interesting note is that our subdivision is no where near completion....but Perry has listed their model home for sale.

Last edited by mm34b; 11-01-2008 at 08:32 AM.. Reason: No realty links permitted.

Old 11-04-2008, 09:48 AM

11 posts, read 31,248 times
According to the NewHomeGuide, Perry Builders just hired a new Chief Operating Officer. That probably indicates that some needed changes are happening, possibly to prevent bankruptcy and may explain why Concernedhomeowner2008 can't get warranty work done right now.

Old 11-04-2008, 11:29 AM

1,489 posts, read 5,696,218 times
I heard recently that Perry Builders closed their doors, and are no longer in business.

Old 11-05-2008, 11:13 AM

271 posts, read 1,213,820 times
hmm.. What it could be is that they could be having issues getting financing from banks to build more homes. That is happening to several builders locally and of course around the country. Until the gates for banks open a bit lending is tough.

Old 11-05-2008, 11:26 AM

513 posts, read 1,605,613 times
They have houses sitting and can't afford to pay the note on all of them. builders pay a higher interest rate than the homeowner.

Old 11-06-2008, 10:21 AM

1 posts, read 5,893 times
Rumors of Perry Builders going out of business is due to a poorly organized mass layoff by Perry Builders. Essentially all, non-family, staff were told on a Monday that after the upcoming Friday Perry Builders would not have any money to pay them furthur and the "doors would be closed". There was no mention of going out of business or bankruptcy. Later in the same week Mr. Perry retracted the "doors will be closed" statement, to the employees he told would have to work through the week for their last pay check (Nice guy huh? No severence. No unused vacation paid and just got back from a trip to NYC with CFO and family the weekend before telling employees they would be unemployed a week later and he makes them work till Friday to get paid.). The morning before the news was delivered to the Perry Employees Mr Perry told all builders to have all subs leave the jobsites without reason at the time. A few hours later a meeting was called and all Perry employees were given the news as stated earlier. Recently hired "in-house" real estate agents were let go a few days later.
This is the cause for all the unsubstantiated rumors of going out of business and bankruptcy. As you can see it is not hard to imagine people guessing at these two outcomes and before you know it they are rumors of fact.
The only facts are that Perry Builders, like every single builder still in business, are going through hard times. Since the layoffs they have kept a extremely lean crew of family members to run their business and sell homes. "Closed doors" does not mean closed business but that is just poor choice of words. Again not a well planned (or planned at all) layoff.
While I do not have a high opinion of Perry Builders and owner I do hope they are able to keep business and houses moving for the subcontractor's sake. Perry uses almost all local subs and if Perry goes under it will affect hundreds of families, down the line, here at home.

Old 11-14-2008, 10:20 AM

3 posts, read 13,832 times
I just call from Perry Builders...finally, after 3 weeks of leaving messages for somebody,anybody to call me back. Spoke with a Ms. Stone, who kept saying Perry was "restructuring", although would not give me a specific answer on what that means. She said there is only 1 warranty person left, where there used to be five. She also stated that their office staff of 30 people is now only at 5.
(For the record, she also felt it necessary to remind me that the nation is in a financial crisis right now... I thanked her for the info, and reminded her that I wasn't born yesterday).

My neighbors and I are contacting an attorney. If there is anyone on this forum who has purchased a home from Perry Builders and has work that is not being completed as promised, feel free to send me a direct message via this site.
Thanks, and good luck!

Old 11-17-2008, 04:38 AM

70 posts, read 271,124 times
How does this effect the situation between Perry Builders and Venture Homes? And who is Venture Homes? We have looked at a Perry Builders home and they seem to have some decent quality to them.

Old 11-17-2008, 08:00 AM

4 posts, read 12,679 times
I moved into a Perry house earlier in the year after looking at many neighborhoods and builders. I looked at Venture homes as well as Perry and it was explained that they are pretty much the same. I have had a pretty good experiance with my house. The 2 month warranty to longer than expected but was completed. I did receive a call from Perry about 3 weeks ago explaning that do to the current economic situation, that they were going through a restructuring period but were not going out of business and would be in contact once that was completed...I have read recently about many builders throwing in the towel and leaving homeowners out to dry. It sounds like Perry is trying to do what they have to, to stay around in this volital time. We love the area we moved to and the design of our home and compared to many of the homes we toured, received standards that other builders seem to charge for...I'm going to give Perry time to get things turned around. My 11 month warranty is coming up and I'll see how that goes but as far as getting an attorney atleast they haven't just closed the door like many other are doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary