Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 07:15 AM

1 posts, read 11,180 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering moving to Garner NC and would greatly appreciate feedback on the following:

1. Do snakes, termites and mosquitos abound? I have a snake phobia and welcome all responses. Mosquitos are a no-no for my husband.

2. What is Garner like as a place to live in terms of amenities, entertainment, proximity to downtown, traffic, crime etc? Thanks for your f eedback
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2007, 07:55 AM

1,515 posts, read 6,981,112 times
Hmmmm....
Do you have kids? I have a couple of friends who have kids in Garner and know a couple of teachers who work there. Not one had anything nice to say about the school system. I would do some research on the school system, I personally havent heard anything good about it, but maybe someone on the board might have had a good experience they can share.

Garner has some great shopping, its a pretty nice city. Raleigh is close by, beach is about a two hour drive, etc.
If you dont want a house with snakes/mosquitos, I would suggest not buying one with alot of shady areas (trees for examples) or big rocks. Snakes are often found sunbathing on rocks to regulate their body temperature. Also, dont keep a pile of wood lying around. (I'm like you-terrified of snakes!) As for the mosquitos, dont buy a house near any sort of creek. You can also have an exterminator come out and spray your yard for mosquitos. I had it done at my last house and it helped alot. Dont leave anything that can fill up with water (ie: trashcans, buckets, etc) and you should not have any problems.

Clayton is right next to Garner, the housing is a bit less expensive and you can get a really good size house for your money. I have lived in Clayton for over six months now and I have not seen one snake nor had any problems with mosquitos. Not saying that Clayton does not have any, but I had a problem with both at my old house in Raleigh. I had a small wooded lot with pine trees with old logs laying around. My dogs used to dig up holes in my backyard that would fill up with rain.

Good luck!
Heather

Old 07-16-2007, 08:09 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,594,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRainford View Post
My husband and I are considering moving to Garner NC and would greatly appreciate feedback on the following:

1. Do termites and mosquitos abound? Mosquitos are a no-no for my husband.
You'll do fine in Garner. There is a chemical/pesticide plant in Garner that recently had an industrial accident. Millions of gallons of pesticides flooded the streams, lakes, and underground water supply. There are no mosquitoes or termites. . . . or any bugs for that matter. . . .in Garner anymore.

Old 07-16-2007, 08:13 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
Garner has a bad reputation, but I'm sure there are some good areas in the town.

I, for one, can't stand the large main roads. They all look like L.A. freeways.

Check your prospective area and schools carefully. This is a good idea anywhere, of course.

Old 07-16-2007, 08:25 AM

139 posts, read 550,530 times
There are parts of Garner that I would/would not live in just like any other town around the Triangle or the world for that matter. Let us know where in particular you are thinking about and maybe we can help you.

The Garner address covers a lot of territory including some areas in Johnston Co as well.
HTH!

Old 07-16-2007, 09:15 AM

892 posts, read 3,160,306 times
Do not live there but do shop in Garner. It seems to be growing in terms of residences by leaps and bounds!

Old 07-16-2007, 09:35 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,594,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRainford View Post

2. What is Garner like as a place to live in terms of amenities, entertainment, proximity to downtown, traffic, crime etc? Thanks for your f eedback
OK. This time a serious answer. . . .

I live about 1/2 mile west of the Garner city limits, but since there is nothing out by my house except for farms and houses, we go to Garner, Cary, Apex, Holly Springs, Raleigh, etc for shopping, dining, entertainment, etc. I have found the west side of Garner to be OK in terms of shopping (although my shopping only consists of trips to Home Depot and Lowes for home improvement stuff, and the Harris Teeter for grocery shopping), but lacking in restaurants. We always end up going to Cary when we go out for lunch on the weekend.

I do like that it is very close to downtown. I can drive up 401 and be in downtown in 15 minutes on the weekend for entertainment. There are a lot of restaurants in the Glenwood South area of downtown, so this is another option for dining out. I can't comment on the crime. Our assigned elementary school is Yates Mill, which is about average in test score performance for Wake county.

Last edited by NewUser; 07-16-2007 at 10:35 AM..

Old 07-16-2007, 10:05 AM

420 posts, read 1,397,086 times
We didn't buy in Garner due to the school system. We chose to live in Clayton, shop in Garner! We are about 15 minutes from the shopping/movie theaters in Garner.

Old 07-16-2007, 01:50 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,046,770 times
What parts of Garner are good to live in? I'm looking for a house around $150-$175K. Wake or Johston co? Altjough Clayton sounds good, I like to be with-in 5-10 minutes of shopping.

Old 07-16-2007, 02:31 PM

281 posts, read 1,107,951 times
Default garner

Garner does have a lot of nice areas starting to develop. The town IMO is not developing at the rate as it's neighboring towns. By that I mean the center of town is not updated...starting to, but not updated. The intersection of Vandora Springs Rd. and HWY 70 is basically the center of town and the shopping center needs a facelift desparately. They just remodeled one section of it, but needs more. Timber Drive elementary is the golden child of elementary schools there, but as more people move there, more pressure builds to improve quality. In that same area though there are TONS of single family brick ranches that you pretty much can't find anywhere else except in the "inside the beltline area" of Raleigh and they are way more in price per square foot. Garner is about a 7 minute drive to Downtown Raleigh. My prediction is.........in a few years that area will be the center of revitalization and a desirable place for people to live. Just my two cents....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary