Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 04:08 PM

285 posts, read 833,906 times

Advertisements

Can anyone shed any light here - looking at flights from RDU to LHR for the summer - going for around 10 days or so... (late July/August)

Any way I look at the flights - direct or not - they're around $1,200 per person on the cheapest economy ticket!

I've seen the prices go up a little, but thats ridiculous! Anyone have any idea what on earth is going on??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2011, 04:37 PM

4,266 posts, read 11,373,966 times
Wow - DH and I flew to Hong Kong in October for $860/pp round trip!

Old 01-11-2011, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
Wow - DH and I flew to Hong Kong in October for $860/pp round trip!
I've done this flight before and not paid this much - there's got to be a reason for it - its crazy!

Old 01-11-2011, 04:52 PM

487 posts, read 888,714 times
Flights from Raleigh to London are expensive because Raleigh is a backwater and flights from backwaters are more expensive than flights between hubs.

Try booking your travel as two separate tickets: from Raleigh to New york, and from New York to London.

That's the way I usually do it and almost never pay more than $700-800.

Old 01-11-2011, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHwboy View Post
Flights from Raleigh to London are expensive because Raleigh is a backwater and flights from backwaters are more expensive than flights between hubs.

Try booking your travel as two separate tickets: from Raleigh to New york, and from New York to London.

I did look at that, although maybe not for as long as I should have done. When you say the $700-800, is that for the entire trip, or just the NY>London portion?

I must have done this flight 10 times in the last 3 years, and I dont think I ever paid more than around $800 directly from Raleigh

Old 01-11-2011, 05:16 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,855,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGrant View Post
I've done this flight before and not paid this much - there's got to be a reason for it - its crazy!
The airlines have pushed their fares up by almost 20% in the last year - add in the recent UK Government increase in APD to $100, the normal airport fee's for security and fuel surcharges, and in peak summer the fare will be ball park the figure you have quoted. The fare in February on the direct AA flight to London is $850 when it was in the order of $600 a year ago. Maybe that's why the airlines made record 3rd quarter profits

Old 01-11-2011, 05:27 PM

2,459 posts, read 8,049,714 times
The AA nonstop has never been a bargain. Too many biz tickets sold on that flight.

I saw some USAir flights for just under $600 in the spring, but for a July trip they were just under $1,000.

Frank

Old 01-11-2011, 06:58 PM

23 posts, read 87,462 times
You are simply looking too early. I spent a good portion of last year looking for flights from Raleigh to Europe. I was flexible with the choice of city I flew into at the time. I found that the Raleigh to London flight was really inexpensive about 2-3 months before departing. All other airlines went down too. The major problem choosing a "layover" city in America is that the airlines do not give you any room for error. We saw flights through JFK and Chicago with a 35-40 minute time between flights. We'd almost definitely miss the overseas flight. Therefore, if you can wait a few months more, the direct flight from Raleigh to London would most definitely be the $100-$200 you'd save with a connector in the US. Good luck, wish it were me headed to London.

Old 01-11-2011, 07:03 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,837,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHwboy View Post

In the 70's and 80's this used to be the case and I also did the same. NY was the cheapest to the UK, DC being the 2nd. In recent yrs it improved and connecting flights from Ral to London via NY or DC were much cheaper. Hate to hear that again Raleigh is not looking good to fly out of.

I know someone who did raleigh to chicago and then to UK, they saved a ton this past August. But....they paid the price in terms of travel time...you don't want to know how long it took them! Have you looked at doing Ral to Paris or another European city and then on to London? Do we have flights to Paris anymore?

Please let us know what you end up with. I am looking to travel there this year although I may do it at Christmas now

Old 01-11-2011, 08:29 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,119,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FallingH20 View Post
You are simply looking too early. I spent a good portion of last year looking for flights from Raleigh to Europe. I was flexible with the choice of city I flew into at the time. I found that the Raleigh to London flight was really inexpensive about 2-3 months before departing. All other airlines went down too.
This is correct. You are looking too early. I used to work in airline pricing. They aren't even looking at summer right now. You are seeing their default prices. Wait a couple of months.

Late July/August is peak season, but it still should be lower than that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary