Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 02:40 PM

310 posts, read 575,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Find your own inspector that has no ties to the Realtor
I did think that at first, but after thinking about it I decided that if there is some uniiversal realtor-inspector conspiracy it would be just as likely that an inspector with no ties to my realtor would be wanting to impress my realtor with how much wool he could pull over my eyes.

Just because a realtor reccomends and inspector doesn't mean that the inspector is dishonest. Just because the inspector is 'independent' of the realtor doesn't mean that inspector wouldn't try to impress the realtor with how 'smoothly' he could do the inspection.

I get all that. I'm just wondering how far under the crawlspace I should make the inspector go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2011, 02:40 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,834,712 times
Yeah that is just a little over the top lol.

Old 01-12-2011, 02:44 PM

43,253 posts, read 77,010,637 times
If the crawlspace is accessible, he should crawl all of it.
"Accessible" means that it is not full of stuff, and the floor is high enough that he can get around under it.

Tight crawlspaces can be nasty, but your inspector should give it the old college try.
If it is tight, pick a skinny guy....

Old 01-12-2011, 02:46 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,834,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim2none View Post
I get all that. I'm just wondering how far under the crawlspace I should make the inspector go.
The entire crawlspace, no question. The only issue that would justify not going all the way through would be a dangerous situation or lack of height. For instance, I inspected a house a few years ago that was flooded with water underneath. There was an electric water heater in the crawlspace sitting in 1' of water. That would be a dangerous situation. I went back after the water was removed. Our standards of practice dictate that we observe all areas accessible in the crawlspace including plumbing penetrations, all load bearing points, perimeter foundation walls and everything in between. We also have to take into account exterior grading, cracks, or other adverse conditions that can negatively affect the crawlspace prior to going in. It is arguably the most important, yet most neglected part of the house.

ps - by lack of height I do not mean uncomfortable, I mean physically cannot get in. With that said, my crawlspace company has installed french drains in a crawlspace that was only 16" high. Inspecting one is far easier than digging in one. This lack of height typically only comes into to play on very old houses.

Old 01-12-2011, 03:08 PM

310 posts, read 575,261 times
Quote:
Just because a realtor reccomends and inspector doesn't mean that the inspector is dishonest. Just because the inspector is 'independent' of the realtor doesn't mean that inspector wouldn't try to impress the realtor with how 'smoothly' he could do the inspection.
I should clarify. I came to the conclusion that the realtor and inspector would be unlikely to be behaving unscrupulously for the reasons espoused above by sacredgrooves. That is as long as the realtor in question is not Ricky Roma*

*(I am refering to the fictional character played by Al Pacino in Glengarry Glen Ross - any similarities to anyone actually named Ricky Roma are not implied, so this comment does not need to be censored for constituting a referal or anti-referal)

Old 01-12-2011, 03:15 PM

76 posts, read 303,972 times
My ASHI certified and experienced home inspector made several oversights that have cost me thousands of dollars. He was a nice guy and I'm pretty sure also an honest person, he just made some mistakes that I am having to pay for. I got the impression he was kind of pressed for time during the inspection too - he seemed eager to wrap it up at the end.

Check here for a list of home inspectors that have had recent disciplinary actions in NC:

NC OSFM | Home Inspector Licensure Board - Engineering and Codes

I wouldn't say that list covers all inspectors that may unreputable. I also wouldn't say that the home inspectors on the list are necessarily inept either... use your discretion.

I'd say regardless of where you find your inspector, follow them during the inspection, ask questions, etc - be proactive.

I'd also recommend finding a home inspector that has inspected homes very close in your area before (if not in your neighborhood). Often neighborhoods are built by a builder that does things a certain way (i.e. certain code violations, building mistakes that later down the road cause problems, installs certain systems that have been found to have problems, etc). If your inspector has been in your neighborhood before and is familiar with inspecting homes in your area, they SHOULD have an idea of what to look out for.

Last edited by Tiger-eye; 01-12-2011 at 03:20 PM.. Reason: link

Old 01-12-2011, 03:21 PM

14 posts, read 40,553 times
Never use your real estate salesman's recommendation for a home inspector. I am a home inspector and I have real estate salesmen who refer me to their clients but I insist that those who are referred to me study my website and determine on their own that they want me to do their inspection.

When you hire an inspector, you are his client...not the agent's, in matters relating to your inspection. He should be communicating directly with you and, only with your written permission, should he share any information with your real estate agent.

Of the real estate salesman, the lender, the title company, etc.....only your inspector is not (or at least, SHOULD not) be dependent upon your decision to buy the house to be paid. He should never be linked to anyone else who is. You should be able to feel totally assured that his report represents his findings in a manner that is complete, thorough and unbiased.

His inspection for the size house you mentioned should be no less than 2.5 hours and might be at 3 or more. He should issue a report that you can understand in a narrative form (not a checklist) with a complete description with photographs of all of the defective areas he finds and it should be provided after he has had time to review it. Not on site within minutes of the inspection.

Regarding the crawlspace, he should enter only if it is safe and dry and he should observe everything that is accessible to him and report on its condition.

Hope this helps you.

Old 01-12-2011, 06:33 PM

240 posts, read 1,179,306 times
Like in any of the professions, there are exceptional individuals who distinguish themselves with their experience, knowledge, and integrity. There are also individuals who should be avoided at all costs!

I recommend that in your attempt to "verify" a recommended professional that you speak with previous customers and ask about their experience, learn about how they were treated, ask your questions about the time required, the level of details cited in the report, and the length of time in the profession /number of inspections performed.

There are a limited number of outstanding home inspectors who have crossed our path in the last 20 years or so in the Triangle area. Unfortunately, the majority pale by comparison and should not be considered.

There is a short list of inspectors that we recommend; and a LONG list of those we do not. You're investing a few hundred dollars for an inspection. But, you're really investing quite a bit more in that this assessment could save or cost you THOUSANDS.

Choose wisely.

Last edited by J. Trent Hicks; 01-12-2011 at 06:34 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 06-14-2011, 11:17 AM

9 posts, read 11,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Trent Hicks View Post
There is a short list of inspectors that we recommend; and a LONG list of those we do not. You're investing a few hundred dollars for an inspection. But, you're really investing quite a bit more in that this assessment could save or cost you THOUSANDS.

Choose wisely.
Can you DM me that short list??

Thx!

Old 06-14-2011, 11:27 AM

9 posts, read 44,755 times
any opinions on if we should get an inspector to inspect a house that is being currently built? (as a second opinion to the county inspectors)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary