Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 08:55 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times

Advertisements

It's a newer private school (non religious) in west Raleigh with a teacher -student ratio of 6:1, focusing on physical health, foreign language and music (plus the basics). From what I understand, it's still really very small, but I am wondering if anyone here has any firsthand experience with it or has heard anything? You can do all the online research, but there is nothing like real firsthand info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2007, 06:22 AM

4 posts, read 26,563 times
Default Atlas International School

My 2 girls are both going to Atlas International School in the fall. One will be in preschool and the other in 6th grade. We looked at a lot of public, charter and private middle schools, including Exploris, Martin, Daniels, Centennial, Grace and for our older daughter. We selected Atlas because we were really impressed with the curriculum and low teacher ratio. Most local schools are very overcrowded and the class sizes are so big - even at the private schools the ratio is 15:1. At Atlas, the ratio is only 6:1, so the teachers really get to know the students and parents well. Atlas is a very child-focused and family friendly school, and the parents are actively involved in the learning process.

The Atlas preschool program is absolutely AWESOME!! We were not actually planning on putting our youngest daughter (age 3) in preschool yet, but when we visited the school, she really benefited from the language immersion program. After only a few classes she was singing songs in French and Spanish, we just couldn't pass up the opportunity for her to become bilingual. She made friends so quickly and keeps asking us when she could go back, she can't wait for school to start!

Atlas school is really growing fast and just moved to a larger location. I expect you will be hearing a lot more about them as the word gets out.

Paula Acker

Old 08-14-2007, 10:30 AM

2 posts, read 16,976 times
Thumbs up Atlas

I have 3 children that have attended Atlas since it first opened. The 6:1 ratio is a wonderful advantage for the students. They can work at their full potential and still have time for plenty of extra-curricular activities. The core teachers they have had so far have previously worked in public schools and have been amazing. I am really impressed with how much of the foreign language my rising kindergartener has been been able to retain from the preschool classes. She absolutely adores both her Spanish and French teachers. My boys have really developed their musical talent (which I didn't know they had) by playing the violin and piano. These are opportunites they certainly wouldn't have had otherwise. The school also focuses on healthy lunches and physcial activity for an all around healthier, happier child.

I recommend that you visit and speak with other Atlas families if you are interested in learning more.

Old 08-14-2007, 10:44 AM

29 posts, read 70,780 times
Thank you for posting about schools! I want to know all I can since my daughter is currently in a fine arts/science based charter school here in co spgs, co. How much is this wonderful sounding school....

Old 08-23-2007, 02:30 PM

4 posts, read 26,563 times
Default Atlas International School

They have tuition information posted on their website and also an application form. The website is: atlasinternationalschool.com - Welcome to Atlas International

The first day of school is Sept 12.

Old 08-23-2007, 05:53 PM

1,395 posts, read 5,083,081 times
lamishra, there is a mom on TMs who is sending her ds there & I believe she is going to be working there as well. Her sn is jaq

Old 10-05-2007, 01:55 PM

1 posts, read 8,415 times
Default Former student

We thought the concept of this school was absolutely great, but I would really interview the owner/ director of the school. Our child attended one year and in that time 50% of her staff quit and had to be replaced. We almost left before the year's end as well, but thought it better to get closure.The owner refused to give us written direction/ goals of the school and constantly changed her mind as to how to run the school. Granted the school was new, but we expected it to be run a bit more professionally. Unless she has someone else helping to make decisions for her business end and someone writing the goals for the long term progression of the school, I would stay away. It is truly sad, because the concept is good and we loved the four day schedule, but it needs a professional, caring leader.
Just to clarify we were in the elementary school, not the preschool.

Last edited by webryder; 10-05-2007 at 02:08 PM.. Reason: Clarification.

Old 10-07-2007, 03:52 PM

2 posts, read 16,976 times
Smile Currently at Atlas

My children have attended Atlas since it first started and there has not been a 50% turnover in the staff. The first year our teacher left because her husband was relocated. We have had the same kindergarten teacher for the past four years (which all 3 of my children have loved) and the same first/second grade teacher for the past three years (which they also loved). Since the school has grown, we have a new teacher this year who is proving to be excellent as well. I can not say enough positive comments about their teachers.

There were several changes during the first year as we tested the most effective procedures. The owner tried to be very accomodating and let parents offer input since we promote an open door policy. You can attend classes and observe or participate as often as you desire. Of course you can't please everyone and some parents will never be happy.

If anything, the owner cares too much. She is totally devoted to having her dream school come to fruition. By adding a middle school, Atlas has certainly taken a step in the right direction. We have attracted a very talented group of students. I will be excited to have my oldest attend the middle school next year.

So yes, you should interview the owner, the staff and the parents as well!

Old 10-09-2007, 09:39 PM

1 posts, read 8,359 times
Smile We LOVE Atlas School

My daughter is currently at Atlas International School, in the first grade. She attended kindergarten there last year as well, and we love this school.

We originally chose Atlas primarily because of the half-day program and teacher ratio, and also liked the languages, music, and healthy lunch policy. I wanted to home-school, but we decided it wouldn't be the best thing for our family. Atlas has been a wonderful alternative for us! My daughter gets top-notch instruction from caring teachers, plus all the extras that Atlas offers, and she is home early enough in the day to have time for family and extra activities. And the long weekends give us time to travel or go to museums, or just have a lazy day. In a world of crazy-busy schedules, she is able to just be a kid while also getting a great education.

We briefly considered switching to public school after Kindergarten, but after seeing how well my daughter did with the low teacher/student ratio, and the benefits of the music and language, which is not available in our base school, there is no way we could take her out. I have had the pleasure of working, as a volunteer, with the teachers and the director, and I couldn't be happier with any of them. It is a wonderful environment that really promotes learning and happy, healthy children.

I would also recommend taking a tour and/or speaking to other Atlas families.

Old 10-09-2007, 09:43 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
Thank you for all for your thoughts on this school. I'm sure they will be helpful to others. We have decided to stay in a in a public school for now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary