Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 09:32 AM

36 posts, read 131,822 times

Advertisements

Has anyone come across new homes/subdivisions that offer trees on the property & more land than .10 acres where you're not on top of your neighbor for under $200k? I know you get what you pay for, but it doesn't hurt to ask. I've seen Summer Springs in Franklinton & the lots (1 acre with trees) aren't bad, but the quality of home construction was really poor. I've been to Spencer's Gate in Youngsville, but heard they're in the police blotter an awful lot. There might be something in Smithfield, but I'm not a fan of Smithfield. I saw Barrington Hills in Garner, but not a fan of Garner & the construction quality (Comfort Homes) wasn't the best. I'm not looking for a mansion. 1,400 sq. ft minimum with a 2 car-garage, quality construction, but with some land & privacy. Am I asking for too much?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2007, 10:15 AM

579 posts, read 2,863,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chukkles77 View Post
Has anyone come across new homes/subdivisions that offer trees on the property & more land than .10 acres where you're not on top of your neighbor for under $200k? I know you get what you pay for, but it doesn't hurt to ask. I've seen Summer Springs in Franklinton & the lots (1 acre with trees) aren't bad, but the quality of home construction was really poor. I've been to Spencer's Gate in Youngsville, but heard they're in the police blotter an awful lot. There might be something in Smithfield, but I'm not a fan of Smithfield. I saw Barrington Hills in Garner, but not a fan of Garner & the construction quality (Comfort Homes) wasn't the best. I'm not looking for a mansion. 1,400 sq. ft minimum with a 2 car-garage, quality construction, but with some land & privacy. Am I asking for too much?

Hi,
Depending on whether or not commuting is an issue for you (everybody is different in that regard), I would look into Clayton & Fuquay-Varina. These areas are known for their more affordable homes on larger lots. Fred Smith is building new homes in Clayton and you should be able to find something in your price range. Check out Riverwood, the lots are about .20-.25 in size and many of them back up to a tree line.

Inglenook (royal oaks) and Sterling Ridge (anderson homes) in FV have new homes in that range and I also believe some of them back up to tree lines. I saw some larger homes (1900-2100) sq ft in Inglenook for under 200K, I think they were in the 180's.

Good luck!!!

EDIT: PS Fred Smith is small local builder and has an excellent reputation for both service and quality. I was more than impressed with the quality of their homes for the money when I saw them. I know people who have them and they have all given glowing reviews. I'd love to move over to Lionsgate, myself except for business purposes Clayton is not really an option for us.

Old 07-18-2007, 06:48 AM

850 posts, read 3,625,805 times
Try Clayton. In my S/D (Tafton), I think you can still get the expandable ranch (that's 1700sf finished downstairs/3bdrm/2ba and 500sf unfinished upstairs) for just under $200k. The 2 stories around here are around $200-220k now for 2200sf, 3bd/2.5 bath with bonus room, approx 3/4 acre wooded lots).

Lauren

Old 07-18-2007, 08:36 AM

180 posts, read 662,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauren4521 View Post
Try Clayton. In my S/D (Tafton), I think you can still get the expandable ranch (that's 1700sf finished downstairs/3bdrm/2ba and 500sf unfinished upstairs) for just under $200k. The 2 stories around here are around $200-220k now for 2200sf, 3bd/2.5 bath with bonus room, approx 3/4 acre wooded lots).

Lauren
Can you give me directions to Tafton? B/c its new construction I am having difficulties locating it! THANKS

Old 07-18-2007, 08:58 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,243,784 times
I just had a listing in Spencer's Gate. It has always appeared to be a great neighborhood with pool. My sellers never mentioned anything about police reports. Did you call the police dept. or is this just heresay?

My listing sold in less than 30 days and we had two offers on it. We now have a "back up offer", as well. The new homes are selling for over $200s.

I agree with looking in Clayton, as well. Anything thats in North Raleigh for under $200,000 is going to have nice yard but the house may be smaller or need some updating but for larger than l/3, Johnston County or Youngsville should have some listings.

Vicki

Old 07-18-2007, 09:02 AM

31 posts, read 103,279 times
Pittsboro is rather quaint and small, yet its surroundings are quite close to the hubbub.

Is Sanford too far to commute for you? There are many lots and homes for sale, some in rather older communities, such as the craftsman homes and cottages downtown. The minimim lot size here is 1/3 acre till recently.

There are a few lots of some size (2+ acres) around, including some farms.

best regards

Last edited by Yac; 07-20-2007 at 09:22 AM.. Reason: advertising not allowed

Old 07-18-2007, 02:44 PM

19 posts, read 54,244 times
Hi! I live in Tafton too...Lauren is my neighbor. Not sure where you are coming from, but since you mentioned Smithfield, you must know 70 East.

This is NOT the shortest route off of 70 (only a few mins. longer though), but the easiest for someone who has not been here.

Take 70 East into Clayton be in left lane when you see signs for 42. Turn left onto Route 42 North (or east). Turn left at the second stoplight onto Buffalo Road (Percy Flowers store on left corner). This will be approx. 4 miles. Take Buffalo to first stoplight. This will be Covered Bridge Road. Turn Right. Travel approx. 1 mile then turn Right onto Cecil Road. The road is smaller than you would think and the sign is actually located on the left side of the road (does that make sense? Nothing really indicates that there is a big subdivision here - don't know why...A landmark would be that you pass a subdivision called Creekside on your lefthand side - however, if you come to the second entrance to Creekside, you have gone too far.) Once on Cecil Road, take your first left into Tafton. Most new houses are being built in the back of the subdivision off Annali Way (first right).

If that's confusing let me know. Not the greatest with giving directions, but always know where I am going! I can try to explain it a little different.

Just my two cents...(again - I really don't want to offend anyone, just MY opinion). Riverwood is a good neighborhood - I agree. But, I wouldn't really describe it as wooded lots. You may back up to a lign of trees in some cases, but you never know, those woods could be gone in a matter of weeks to a matter of years...it is growing constantly. In Tafton, I would definitely say the lots are wooded (in the back of the subdivision anyway - the front used to be farmland...) and some of them really aren't just backing up to woods. You can definitely have some privacy from your neighbors - you won't be on top of each other. The houses here are ALL over 1400 sq. feet. Even the smaller ones up front - and they sold for considerably less than 200. My house, which Lauren described (though, Lauren, I thought my upstairs was 900 - 1000 unfinished sq. feet??) is the expandable ranch. I JUST spoke to Ida (the listing agent) b/c my friend is moving to the area and she said that my house is listed there for right at (give or take 1000) 200k. But the great thing about those houses is they are more wooded than mine - they have concrete drives and the back porches are screened.

I guess I have a real affinity for Tafton (could you tell??!!). However, there are many new developments around here that you will find more than 1400 sq. ft. for less than 200k, but the lots are definitely smaller and there aren't any wooded ones that I know of. LOVE it in Archer Lodge (did you hear we are becoming our own town??). We are up and coming!

Last edited by stelzners; 07-18-2007 at 03:00 PM..

Old 07-19-2007, 06:09 AM

180 posts, read 662,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelzners View Post
Hi! I live in Tafton too...Lauren is my neighbor. Not sure where you are coming from, but since you mentioned Smithfield, you must know 70 East.

This is NOT the shortest route off of 70 (only a few mins. longer though), but the easiest for someone who has not been here.

Take 70 East into Clayton be in left lane when you see signs for 42. Turn left onto Route 42 North (or east). Turn left at the second stoplight onto Buffalo Road (Percy Flowers store on left corner). This will be approx. 4 miles. Take Buffalo to first stoplight. This will be Covered Bridge Road. Turn Right. Travel approx. 1 mile then turn Right onto Cecil Road. The road is smaller than you would think and the sign is actually located on the left side of the road (does that make sense? Nothing really indicates that there is a big subdivision here - don't know why...A landmark would be that you pass a subdivision called Creekside on your lefthand side - however, if you come to the second entrance to Creekside, you have gone too far.) Once on Cecil Road, take your first left into Tafton. Most new houses are being built in the back of the subdivision off Annali Way (first right).

If that's confusing let me know. Not the greatest with giving directions, but always know where I am going! I can try to explain it a little different.

Just my two cents...(again - I really don't want to offend anyone, just MY opinion). Riverwood is a good neighborhood - I agree. But, I wouldn't really describe it as wooded lots. You may back up to a lign of trees in some cases, but you never know, those woods could be gone in a matter of weeks to a matter of years...it is growing constantly. In Tafton, I would definitely say the lots are wooded (in the back of the subdivision anyway - the front used to be farmland...) and some of them really aren't just backing up to woods. You can definitely have some privacy from your neighbors - you won't be on top of each other. The houses here are ALL over 1400 sq. feet. Even the smaller ones up front - and they sold for considerably less than 200. My house, which Lauren described (though, Lauren, I thought my upstairs was 900 - 1000 unfinished sq. feet??) is the expandable ranch. I JUST spoke to Ida (the listing agent) b/c my friend is moving to the area and she said that my house is listed there for right at (give or take 1000) 200k. But the great thing about those houses is they are more wooded than mine - they have concrete drives and the back porches are screened.

I guess I have a real affinity for Tafton (could you tell??!!). However, there are many new developments around here that you will find more than 1400 sq. ft. for less than 200k, but the lots are definitely smaller and there aren't any wooded ones that I know of. LOVE it in Archer Lodge (did you hear we are becoming our own town??). We are up and coming!

Tafton looks great! I just worry that the commute may be too much, my boyfriend works at the airport and I'm in Cary...we really just aren't sure where to buy anymore! Maybe Wake Forest? Clayton? Apex?

Old 07-19-2007, 09:01 AM

1,540 posts, read 5,563,388 times
I'd say go look at the homes in Clayton Pointe in Clayton. One of the builders out there, called Titan Homes I loved. There are several in there right now. There are also some homes in Creedmoor in Golden Pond under 200K. Youmay want to check out that area.

Old 07-19-2007, 09:06 AM

850 posts, read 3,625,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelzners View Post
Hi! I live in Tafton too...Lauren is my neighbor.
Hey neighbor....we'll have to meet up one day!

Quote:
Turn Right. Travel approx. 1 mile then turn Right onto Cecil Road. The road is smaller than you would think and the sign is actually located on the left side of the road (does that make sense? Nothing really indicates that there is a big subdivision here - don't know why...A landmark would be that you pass a subdivision called Creekside on your lefthand side - however, if you come to the second entrance to Creekside, you have gone too far.) Once on Cecil Road, take your first left into Tafton. Most new houses are being built in the back of the subdivision off Annali Way (first right).
Isn't Cecil the 1st or 2nd right? My brain isn't functioning properly today so I can't remember.

Quote:
My house, which Lauren described (though, Lauren, I thought my upstairs was 900 - 1000 unfinished sq. feet??) is the expandable ranch.
Oops...my mistake. I thought that the total was 2500sf (hence where my brain got stuck on the 500 but I could be wrong). Hey but you would know better..its YOUR house.

Quote:
LOVE it in Archer Lodge (did you hear we are becoming our own town??). We are up and coming!
I look forward to seeing where this is going. I didn't realize that we could be annexed by EITHER Wendell or Clayton (as per that town meeting recently). I'd rather be Archer Lodge truthfully but being Wendell would be too confusing since we are def Johnston County and Wendell is Wake.

Anyhow, I love it here too!
Lauren

Last edited by lauren4521; 07-19-2007 at 09:07 AM.. Reason: fix those darn quotes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary