Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 12:05 AM

5 posts, read 45,240 times

Advertisements

I posted this in the Austin section of the forum as well, but decided to post here to get more inputs from those living in Cary.

My family (wife, 4 yr old son, dog and I) presently live in San Francisco.

We are looking to move to a smaller, less expensive city in the country with good school, great medical facilities, good culture and weather.

We have shortlisted it down to two cities - Austin, TX and Cary, NC.

I would really like your feedback and inputs, especially from anyone who might have lived in both places.

I thank you for your time.

Ronnie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2011, 07:53 AM

292 posts, read 820,002 times
You can read thru about 100 recent threads to see what various people think of living here. No one can tell you what YOU will think of living here. Read up a bit and you'll find there were people who were chomping at the bit to get here and gave it, oh - about a week - before deciding to "head home".

If you can be a bit more specifics about your wants and needs that would help. Because again, even a cursory review of this forum will give you all the info you need about culture (or lack of it), good schools (or lack thereof, plus all the upheaval going on), good medical facilities (ok, pretty indisputable), etc etc.

Old 01-16-2011, 08:26 AM

310 posts, read 575,489 times
I lived in for 20 years before moving to Raleigh (it's a suburb of Cary) 4 months ago. There is a previous thread with some discussion of Austin vs. Triangle area:

//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...s-talk-me.html

Both are definitely smaller and less expensive than the bay area. From what I can tell both are pretty comparable in terms of bottom line expenses. Groceries are more expensive here than in Austin. Property values are comparable although in general I think you get more for your money here than in Austin. There is no state income tax in Texas, but property taxes are about double in Austin. Sales tax is 0.5% lower in Raleigh than in Austin.

As far as size, both metro areas have very close to the same population but the Triangle seems much less congested. Traffic is much more of an issue in Austin: America's 75 Worst Commutes - The Daily Beast - Austin is #4 on the list, Raleigh is #49.

Culturally I would think Austin has more to offer especially if you are younger and definitely if you were single. That being said I prefer the lifestyle in Triangle, but then I'm middle-aged and married. One man's thriving scene is another man's hectic noise (and vice-versa).

I haven't spawned so I don't have much to say about schools. I know in Austin most people who are concerned with quality of schools try to get in the Eanes or Round Rock school districts.

I also can't give an informed opinion about how the quality of health care compares.

Old 01-16-2011, 08:34 AM

1,361 posts, read 2,271,810 times
I've lived in both. Raleigh is probably more of a traditional family town. Austin is "Weird" and proud of it but then your from San Fransisco so maybe it will be more natural for you I would say the Austin culture is probably more unique--lots of places to hang out and listen to music. Cute earthy places to eat, fun "interesting" festivals although perhaps not all family friendly. There are also alot of small towns practically in Austin that are more traditional if you are looking for that. I haven't been around alot of areas in Raleigh so there may be some more "Austinlike" areas especially around the colleges.

Weather--Austin is HOT although it has trees and water so it's not too horrible to me but then I'm not from Northern CA. Raleigh is colder then I expected but I've been told the last 2 years are abnormal (or the new norm maybe, who knows) The summer here was about as hot as back in TX but I was told it was hotter then normal...

Schools--didn't have kids in Austin but LOVED the San Antonio schools. I don't hate the schools here but I'm actually not as impressed academically (granted my son is NOT in a magnet as we just got here before the year started so never had time for options) and the School Board fighting thing and busing situation has made me extremely uncomfortable.

Food--sorry, Austin completely wins in the food category. I really miss Tex-Mex and Austin has some GREAT places to eat in that category. Miss Texas BBQ as well. I haven't tried the NC version of BBQ but I really should before I leave.

Traffic--Austin is horrible, that's pretty much it. Roads have businesses along them except out near the lake which is gorgeous. In Raleigh the roads are beautiful because they are tree-lined (I can't find anything and if I miss a turn I'm doomed because y'all don't have access roads but the scenery is gorgeous!) I haven't driven in rush-hour but my husband has it can't possibly compare to 35 through Austin as I've never never been in anything so miserable. --Oops, my husband just told me Austin is full of toll-roads now so for a few bucks you can zoom where you wish

From what I've read on this forum, people from up north seem pretty darn happy here. I've seen some unhappiness from people from CA. Hopefully, some CA transplants will give you some insight. I would say if you were in another part of CA that Austin definitely would be a better fit--there was a huge "migration" from CA to Austin in the 90's and people seem pretty happy there. However, N. CA weather vs. TX weather could be bothersome to you. Oh yeah, and if you're worried about those conservative Texans--of which I am proud to be one--they mostly left Austin proper to the more progressive type and those "foreigners" that relocated there. You might work with a few that live out in Georgetown or such but in Austin you won't have to deal with them much--except maybe for Rick Perry...

Old 01-16-2011, 08:46 AM

1,346 posts, read 3,074,947 times
If you are the kind of San Franciscan who is very into culture and being out and about then Cary will bore you to tears. If however you are not into that scene then you will enjoy the relative lack of all that.

Old 01-16-2011, 10:38 AM

thanks for all those who replied..we really appreciate your inputs.

Our primary criteria is schools - we are blessed with a smart kid and want to make sure that he goes to an excellent school. Our school district here in the Bay Area is beyond appalling!!

With respect to schools, I read about over crowding in Cary schools, being re-assigned to new schools frequently, school board fights etc...

Is it easy getting into the top schools in Cary and are there certain school related issues that we should be aware of?

Old 01-16-2011, 12:40 PM

656 posts, read 1,990,682 times
Don't overlook the weather. I'm from Northern California, Santa Cruz, to be exact, and the heat with humidity is a killer in NC for what seems like a very long summer.
Do yourself a VERY BIG FAVOR and do whatever it takes to come out to Raleigh several times during different seasons for a visit --- it will be well worth it.
Cheaper housing and better schools are in many cities in the US, so unless it is your employment giving you only these two cities for a possible relocation I would really visit both often and not make a hasty move to either, imo.

Old 01-16-2011, 01:17 PM

Hi, I am self employed...so we are looking to move to a place that's affordable.

We can adjust to the weather, since we are from India and its very humid there (and extremely hot!). Our primary criteria is schools, safe family life and affordable housing.

I know that Cary has 2 and 3, still have some doubts about the schools i.e how good they are, how crowded they are, how easy it is to get in to the top schools etc.

I've been to Raleigh a few times in spring, fall and winter (and all 3 seasons are fairly balanced and beautiful), but I've never visited in summer. Is it really that bad?

How long is summer BTW?

Old 01-16-2011, 01:55 PM

1,361 posts, read 2,271,810 times
IMO housing in Austin is not more expensive then Cary. Sure Tarrytown and such but you can find more reasonable areas and while you might pay a similar price you will get brick/rock/stucco for the price whereas it was going to be $100K more to get into that type of house in Cary/Apex/Holly Springs.

Summer in Texas is hot, however, this last summer Raleigh was as hot or hotter then Texas. I have been told that it is unusual plus Texas had some hurricane and tropical storm rains come through making it cooler then normal. I can't tell you how long summer is in Raleigh other then this one which got hot in July and stayed in the 90's up until a few days in October--a surprise to us and apparently odd for here.

Old 01-17-2011, 08:26 AM

30 posts, read 177,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwalk65 View Post
Don't overlook the weather. I'm from Northern California, Santa Cruz, to be exact, and the heat with humidity is a killer in NC for what seems like a very long summer.
Do yourself a VERY BIG FAVOR and do whatever it takes to come out to Raleigh several times during different seasons for a visit --- it will be well worth it.
Cheaper housing and better schools are in many cities in the US, so unless it is your employment giving you only these two cities for a possible relocation I would really visit both often and not make a hasty move to either, imo.
RE the climate: I've lived in both Austin, then Dallas/Ft. Worth and moved to Cary in July. According to a lot of the natives this past summer was "unseasonably hot". But it was like spring time in Texas, much, much cooler. Winter is much more pronounced here than in Texas too.

RE the cost of living: We've found the cost of living to be much higher than Texas. You'll read all over this forum of how much cheaper it is to live here that <someplace else>... My wife and I have found it to much more expensive. Groceries about 20% more, and then there is state income tax and the "Amazon tax" (google it) ;-)

RE Outdoor stuff. This place has trees, and lots of outdoor stuff to do and a longer season to do it in (do you really want to go out in a typical 95+ summer day in texas?)

Anyhow, other than the cost of living thing, we're really liking NC over Texas....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary