Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 12:26 PM

770 posts, read 2,753,766 times

Advertisements

Anyone any idea what return on investment is for building a detached garage in this area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 09:26 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,825,772 times
You probably need to add some details to this before anyone could make any kind of useful guess/answer.

IE: is there any change to the market value and/or saleability of the property?

If so, how long you intend to live in the property after the work is done is pretty important variable.

Try Google: "home improvements helping resale values" and look at the various sites, and which projects have historically improved value, and which have improve not the value, but the saleability (which has a value to it, just harder to quantify).

Good Luck!

Old 01-17-2011, 10:22 AM

792 posts, read 4,487,933 times
From an purely investment standpoint, my guess is that it will be a negative return for you. Very few home improvements have a positive ROI, especially today. Most people want an attached garage anyway.

Old 01-17-2011, 04:28 PM

770 posts, read 2,753,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedratermi View Post
From an purely investment standpoint, my guess is that it will be a negative return for you. Very few home improvements have a positive ROI, especially today. Most people want an attached garage anyway.
WEll I have a double attached garage - I just wanted the extra space for workshop and mancave upstairs. I just don't want to convert 50K into 30k

I'm not sure how long we are going to live here ( wish I'd sold it $100 grand depreciation ago) maybe 5 years maybe 10

Old 01-17-2011, 10:32 PM

2,905 posts, read 5,921,274 times
I just added one. It was not cheap, but cheaper than it will ever be in the future or would have been in the past, so it was time. I don't expect to get a dime back out of it but we'll live here for 20-30 more years so the use I get and the enjoyment we all have in there will be where the money has gone. I'll also save a lot on auto repair by doing more myself (I installed a lift and have already saved myself an estimated $1K on maintenance for repair and labor) and getting some of my money back when friends who want to use the shop bring food or take me out for a meal to "pay me back" for using it (even though that isn't required!).

Old 01-18-2011, 04:31 AM

2,459 posts, read 8,077,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve54 View Post
WEll I have a double attached garage - I just wanted the extra space for workshop and mancave upstairs. I just don't want to convert 50K into 30k

I'm not sure how long we are going to live here ( wish I'd sold it $100 grand depreciation ago) maybe 5 years maybe 10
I think you answered your question. Its not a smart financial investment but that's not really the point ... Or is it?

Frank

Old 01-18-2011, 09:15 AM

1,188 posts, read 2,544,964 times
If you're handy, you can probably do a lot of the building yourself and save a ton of money. Our realtor told us when we were buying a house, that it added ~10k to the value.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:20 AM

838 posts, read 2,524,402 times
From what I understand (having looked into doing this myself), if the workshop is detached from the main house, it's considered a "utility building" and doesn't add the same value per square foot as your normal garage. The flip-side is that if the workshop is somehow attached to the house, it will be added in like normal sf. Maybe one of the realtors here can confirm?

Old 01-18-2011, 09:31 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,383,794 times
For what it's worth, in addition to a two car attached I had a detached two car garage workshop. With 100 amp electric, heat, lighting. and when we put our house on the market maybe one in ten even looked at the garage.
I did have one person absolutely love the garage but his wife did not like the house so that was a deal breaker.
It added absolutely no resale value to the property but it did cost me an extra $1,000 in Property taxes (NJ)

If you need the garage for you hobby I say go for it but don't expect any return on your investment.

I would equate an extra garage as about the same as adding a pool. Some want it most don't

Old 01-18-2011, 09:32 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,008,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caspian65 View Post
From what I understand (having looked into doing this myself), if the workshop is detached from the main house, it's considered a "utility building" and doesn't add the same value per square foot as your normal garage. The flip-side is that if the workshop is somehow attached to the house, it will be added in like normal sf. Maybe one of the realtors here can confirm?

I don't think unfinished & unheated spaces like attics & garages
add to the normal square feet ...They may be listed as unheated
space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary