Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 04:16 PM

26 posts, read 95,172 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are considering relocating to the North Raleigh/Wake Forest area with our two young daughters. They are both under 10. Where could I find a list of places for activities for them during the summer and throughout the year? They like to play soccer (I heard there was a Mia Hamm soccer center somewhere in Raleigh), drama, and gymnastics among other things. Do the local towns run any of these programs? Any websites that could provide us that info? For those of you that have little ones, do you find that there are plenty of activities near for them to be involved and make new friends? Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2006, 05:12 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,130,683 times
We have tons of gymnastic centers. CASL (Capital Area Soccer League) is a big deal. There is an indoor soccer center. Raleigh Parks and Recreation (website) has a ton of summer camps, etc. My daughter, who is 12, goes to two different week long sleep over camps. I think one of the benefits of living is this area is that its so family friendly. Its a great place to raise a family...I have 4 kids...want any? Vicki

Old 08-21-2006, 05:55 PM

2,834 posts, read 11,997,423 times
Hi

I live in wake forest and have two girls as well. Mine are a little younger, 2 and 4, but there are definitely a lot of things to do with them....

raleigh has the capital area soccer league http://www.caslnc.com/home/default.asp
and in wake forest there is an indoor soccer facilty (along with an ice skating rink) which has both lessons, leagues and teams (for both ice hockey and soccer) the place is called the factory and the link is www.eatshopplay.com

Drama, although they could get involved at school, there is also a couple of great places that have summer programs, the raleigh little theatre: www.raleighlittletheatre.org and I know there is another small theater for kids in north raleigh but I cannot think of the name. There are a number of gymnastics facilities and it all depends on what you like (big or small) there is gymcarolina in north raleigh (http://www.gymcarolina.com/) or there is north raleigh gymnastics (http://www.tumblewithus.com/) (broken link). plus there are smaller gyms near wake forest (youngs gym). We have done some great summer classes through the town of wake forest, they have basketball camp, swimming, you can check out the town information here (http://www.ci.wake-forest.nc.us/). My daughters have really liked the programs and they are not too expensive. There is a YMCA (banks kerr YMCA the website is (http://www.ymcatriangle.org/Banks_D._Kerr/Membership.aspx (broken link)) they have an indoor and outdoor pool, before school and afterschool activities, camps, etc.

I have found wake forest to be very family friendly, it is small, so it feels like it is easy to meet people as well. The schools are very good, there is an excellent charter school (franklin academy) but it is very hard to get into (1200 applicants for 120 spots last year). Anyhow, you can send me a private message if you have more questions, i don't want to bore everyone!

leigh

Old 08-21-2006, 09:08 PM

26 posts, read 95,172 times
Thanks VickiR and leighbhe !!! Your feedback is greatly appreciated...

Old 10-03-2007, 07:46 PM

8 posts, read 55,119 times
I just want to thank you guys for posting. I've been living here for about 2 months and this site has really helped our family. I've been searching the internet for a place where my 2 year old could play soccer. Finally I looked on this site and found the Factory. I'm planning to visit tomorrow.

Old 10-03-2007, 08:54 PM

997 posts, read 4,631,483 times
SergeNJ. Great information by Vicki and Leigh. You can also try the Carolina Parent. It has some great listings for activities and summer camps. I don't know how young your children are but they have lots of preschool listing. I feel it has a wealth of information for newcomers. Good luck.

Old 10-04-2007, 06:11 AM

1,515 posts, read 6,965,068 times
My daughter attended GymCarolina for a couple of years for gymnatics, she really enjoyed it. (You can Google them)

If you are looking for more competitive gymnastics center, I would suggest Langley Gymnastics. They are located in Angier but alot of people from Raleigh take their kids to that center:

Langley Gymnastics & Fun Center (broken link)

Old 10-04-2007, 08:15 AM

166 posts, read 661,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrickhead28 View Post
My daughter attended GymCarolina for a couple of years for gymnatics, she really enjoyed it. (You can Google them)

If you are looking for more competitive gymnastics center, I would suggest Langley Gymnastics. They are located in Angier but alot of people from Raleigh take their kids to that center:

Langley Gymnastics & Fun Center

That is really far from Wake Forest and you would pass several very competitive gymnastics centers before you reached it, although it is a good one. Artistic Gymnastics in south Raleigh/Garner is also excellent, Apex Gymnastics is great. Impact Athletics. Kenney's. I know there are more! Camp Kanata is a local summer camp that many kids seem to enjoy: CAMPKANATA.ORG

Old 01-15-2008, 11:42 AM

2 posts, read 15,382 times
I'm looking for a gymnastics center for competitive gymnastics as well as tap/ballet, kenpo karate, and piano lessons. Youth baseball would be great too.
All of this in Angier area?
Help, we're looking at a residence around the Angier area, moving up from Henry County,GA (south of Atlanta). I'll be making the commute to Bragg everyday.
Thanks!!!

Old 10-25-2008, 11:03 PM

1 posts, read 11,628 times
We are looking for futbol school in Raleigh for my 9 years old kid?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary