U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 12:20 PM

45 posts, read 311,687 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am moving back to Apex after many years away from the Triangle. The house I am moving into has an alarm system that is not currently active. I was looking for local recommendations in the Apex area for a home alarm/security monitoring company that does wireles (cell phone monitoring).

Where I am coming from I had ADT with a hard wired phone. But I would always get small local monitoring company mailers that were half the cost than the brand name. I don't need anything super dooper, but I don't want to waste the money on ADT.

Does anyone have any recommendation? Estimates of price for monthly monitoring? (I know cell phones require an extra attchment and usually an extra cost).

Thanks for the help.

John
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 01:53 PM

12,451 posts, read 30,247,382 times
I left ADT and went to The Alarm Man for the huge discount in monthly monitoring.

ADT was charging us $39 per month and The Alarm Man was $16 per month.

I didn't ask about the cell phone so I can't help you there.

Vicki

Old 01-19-2011, 02:10 PM

2,455 posts, read 7,552,996 times
FWIW - The cell dialers always seemed like a great idea to me. Its pretty simple for someone to cut your phone/cable connection.

Frank

Old 01-19-2011, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankpc View Post
FWIW - The cell dialers always seemed like a great idea to me. Its pretty simple for someone to cut your phone/cable connection.

Frank
If your connection gets cut, the Alarm company is notified and if they cannot reach you, by the phone numbers you have given them, they automatically call Police.

Vicki

Old 01-19-2011, 02:35 PM

892 posts, read 2,983,130 times
Cell back-up is the next best thing (to getting rid of the landline)!

Old 01-19-2011, 03:39 PM

2,455 posts, read 7,552,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
If your connection gets cut, the Alarm company is notified and if they cannot reach you, by the phone numbers you have given them, they automatically call Police.

Vicki
Maybe some do, but I don't believe they all do

State Farm
Security Alarm Systems
quote:
Most phone lines are typically exposed on the outside of the house in an easily accessible location where the phone line can be cut. If the telephone line is cut, the security alarm system cannot notify the central monitoring station of the break-in.

Alarm Force says this:
In many areas across North America, police officers are warning of the increasing problem of telephone line tampering. While most home burglar alarm systems send their signals through the telephone lines, a cut phone line can stop the signal from being transmitted. AlarmForce has the answer. AlarmPlus is an effective additional line of protection. AlarmPlus, when combined with your existing Alarmvoice home security system, will send a wireless signal to the AlarmForce Central Monitoring Station should your telephone line be tampered with in any way. AlarmPlus costs only $99 for the setup and at $4.95 a month is an affordable option that can be added to your Alarmvoice home security system at any time should you become aware of a problem with phone line tampering in your area.

Frank

Old 01-19-2011, 03:53 PM

788 posts, read 4,230,348 times
Quote:
That doesn't even make sense. Unless there is some backup communications device, how is the alarm company going to know when the line gets cut? Magic?

Old 01-19-2011, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedratermi View Post
That doesn't even make sense. Unless there is some backup communications device, how is the alarm company going to know when the line gets cut? Magic?
That is the way the system works. If the line is cut, the company shows that the system is "down" and automatically calls the numbers supplied by the homeowner. If no one answers, the police is called.

Old 01-19-2011, 04:02 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,489,299 times
Sounds like a sales pitch to me...LOL

We're with ADT and pleased. We have the wireless service as we don't use landlines in our house.

I think we're at $44/month and are happy with their service.

I'm a firm believer in you get what you pay for (be it right or wrong) and I don't feel comfortable trusting my house to "Joe's Security" because they're cheap. I used to work at ADT corporate. I know their stuff and I know how well they work.

Old 01-19-2011, 04:04 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,489,299 times
Quote:
That is the way the system works. If the line is cut, the company shows that the system is "down" and automatically calls the numbers supplied by the homeowner. If no one answers, the police is called.
Your phone line would need to be constantly used by the system to transmit that data, basically rendering your phone line useless for voice calls.

I mean how would the monitoring company know your line is cut unless it's communicating with the device?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary