Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 10:22 AM

3,644 posts, read 8,575,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
You are correct about this and it's being misreported (nationwide) as "resegregation" when race, of course, is not mentinoed anywhere in either old nor new policy. Socioeconomic segregation is the issue, and in most cities, that is at least indirectly related to race. We all know that Southeast Raleigh, which is mostly African-American, is the "elephant in the room" that nobody mentions specifically. I do try to correct citations that say they are trying to "resegregate" (a word which has become synonymous with "racially so" but technically means any kind of stratification) and point out that race, per se, is not mentioned. But go on some left-leaning blogs and they are literally reporting that Wake county is going back to the 1950s and doing away with "Integration".
Okay, so the true meaning is mix the poor kids with the rich kids. Why? Rich kids have this "better than thou" attitude (at least they did when I was in school). I would think it would cause a structural instability since nobody would get along.
Everything I've read makes me think the busing is all about test scores. If it's not done for race is it done because of financial status? Does this mean all poor kids are dumb?
I still say put them in neighborhood schools and let the kids show their true colors. Right now you can't see the true colors of the kids. The schools that end up showing lower test scores need to be fixed. Every student would then have the same opportunity whereas now you don't know which ones are in trouble.

Old 01-20-2011, 10:23 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,760,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
I don't think busing has anything to do with that at all. The only thing busing provides, in my opinion, is a band-aid over a larger problem. Busing brings test scores up as a whole. The lower scoring students are still there but now are just spread out amongst higher-scoring students which makes the school system look better than it actually is. We are hurting the kids by spreading them out because the problem can't be recognized and fixed.

I still don't understand how the neighborhood schools idea is resegregation. They are simply going to school with the other kids in their neighborhood.
ITA. Who are we kidding that the AREA the school is in is not how it's judged? When all is said and done, my kids all have about 5% of their classes made up of bused in kids. It's a little silly to say this makes the school "balanced".

I'm actually appalled that the school board is based on political philosophy. I do not care nor do I want to know what the political party affiliations of my school board members are. I think it's pretty obvious in this country right now that anything that gets mired in politics just spins its wheels. I don't know what this has to do with setting up the best educational system for our children. The size of the board seems unwieldy too.

Old 01-20-2011, 10:27 AM

2 posts, read 2,140 times
Default Voting

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickir View Post
i agree!!!

Did i hear correctly... I heard that there are 5 seats opening up on the school board in november??? Please tell me it is so!

The opportunity to get some educated folks into those seats...i will be voting!

Vicki
great maybe we can vote john tedesco some help along with ray and chris!

Old 01-20-2011, 10:31 AM

2 posts, read 2,140 times
Default Scores

Quote:
Originally Posted by underpsi View Post
okay, so the true meaning is mix the poor kids with the rich kids. Why? Rich kids have this "better than thou" attitude (at least they did when i was in school). I would think it would cause a structural instability since nobody would get along.
Everything i've read makes me think the busing is all about test scores. If it's not done for race is it done because of financial status? Does this mean all poor kids are dumb?
I still say put them in neighborhood schools and let the kids show their true colors. Right now you can't see the true colors of the kids. The schools that end up showing lower test scores need to be fixed. Every student would then have the same opportunity whereas now you don't know which ones are in trouble.
i say make them learn no matter what school they are in or get them out if they don't wish to learn! I was always poor but still had to do my school work before anything else! Be a parent not just a baby maker !

Old 01-20-2011, 10:50 AM

2,006 posts, read 3,581,096 times
The "Socioeconomic" dynamic in this area like everywhere I have ever lived on the east coast, is a result of how humans choose to live their lives.

I don't see any social injustices being created other than by what people do to themselves and their children (more relevant in this situation). And I don't see any reason why anyone feels this need to meddle in other peoples lives to any end. But that is the fundamental issue at hand.

Sorry for any spelling or grammar mistakes.

Old 01-20-2011, 11:03 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,022,196 times
Let's accept for a moment that the topic of Tedesco and his finances are not relevant when discussing pupil assignment. Does anyone thing it will be relevant when the board starts managing the budget cuts that are coming and needs to lead a dialog with the public on finances?

Old 01-20-2011, 11:16 AM

Quote:
When all is said and done, my kids all have about 5% of their classes made up of bused in kids.
If it truly is only 5% that's more the reason to stop busing. The financial savings would be tremendous.

Quote:
I don't see any social injustices being created other than by what people do to themselves and their children (more relevant in this situation). And I don't see any reason why anyone feels this need to meddle in other peoples lives to any end. But that is the fundamental issue at hand.
I agree.

Quote:
Sorry for any spelling or grammar mistakes.
Yeah, really. The police are watching.

Old 01-20-2011, 11:28 AM

142 posts, read 283,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I'm actually appalled that the school board is based on political philosophy. I do not care nor do I want to know what the political party affiliations of my school board members are. I think it's pretty obvious in this country right now that anything that gets mired in politics just spins its wheels. I don't know what this has to do with setting up the best educational system for our children.
I agree, I think the actual teacher in the room has the largest effect on the quality of education. I think the most important thing is increasing teacher wages/making the field more attractive in general, improving accreditation standards, and putting less pressure on standardized test scores and more emphasis on new methods of teaching because the classroom's main goal shouldn't be high test scores. Let's have Tedesco turn his mind to that.

Old 01-20-2011, 11:44 AM

1,994 posts, read 5,959,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Let's accept for a moment that the topic of Tedesco and his finances are not relevant when discussing pupil assignment. Does anyone thing it will be relevant when the board starts managing the budget cuts that are coming and needs to lead a dialog with the public on finances?
I think it is relevant.

1) He quit his job to do the BOE gig, which pays $11K a year, full time.
2) This coincided with his tying himself to the "Tea Party"

These motivations lead me to think he's expecting some payout for his actions on the school board, be it a gig on Fox News or in some Art Pope "think tank". That these gigs have not materialized for him suggests perhaps he's crazier than his backers originally thought. But it certainly speaks to his lack of judgement.

Old 01-20-2011, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merboy View Post
I agree, I think the actual teacher in the room has the largest effect on the quality of education. I think the most important thing is increasing teacher wages/making the field more attractive in general, improving accreditation standards, and putting less pressure on standardized test scores and more emphasis on new methods of teaching because the classroom's main goal shouldn't be high test scores. Let's have Tedesco turn his mind to that.

I have to disagree. A teacher is only as good as their students. If the students aren't willing to learn or are willing but fall behind because the lessons aren't being continued after the student goes home the teacher is looked at as a failure. How is that the teacher's fault? I truly believe the biggest effect on quality of education is the parents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary