Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 08:20 AM

280 posts, read 741,269 times

Advertisements

Wake schools didn't keep busing for diversity records

Wake schools didn't keep busing for diversity records :: WRAL.com

How can either side claim the success or failure of the old policy when there are no records to substantiate their claims ? ugh I hope we get selected by one of the charter schools we applied at.I am just about done with WCPSS at this point of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 08:34 AM

1,832 posts, read 5,090,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nclass View Post
Wake schools didn't keep busing for diversity records

Wake schools didn't keep busing for diversity records :: WRAL.com

How can either side claim the success or failure of the old policy when there are no records to substantiate their claims ? ugh I hope we get selected by one of the charter schools we applied at.I am just about done with WCPSS at this point of time.
Ditto. I have high hopes that things will settle down, if not improve, and provide some stability at least. But we applied to magnets, charters, and a private just to cover our bases. I also applied to our YR option for middle school, figuring I could look at all my options in May and pick the best one. Sometimes choice is not such a good thing, when it's not really choice but a lottery with long odds.

Old 03-16-2011, 02:57 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,940,073 times
AdvancED has released its accreditation findings, and has placed WCPSS on "accredited warned" status.

Quote:
Being placed on "accredited warned" status, the school system will work over the next eight months to implement seven action steps as required by the accreditation review team.

The required steps are as follows:
  • Create and implement a strategic plan to guide the future work of the school system.
  • Analyze and revise the "node" system of assigning students to schools to ensure objectivity, transparency and consistency.
  • Establish and implement an agenda setting process to ensure that every member of the Board of Education and key system leadership are well-prepared for each Board meeting.
  • Define in policy the purpose and role of adopting resolutions as a governance practice.
  • Provide ongoing cohesive and consistent training to all members of the Board of Education regarding their roles, responsibilities and strategic direction of the school system.
  • Institute a policy review, revision, and adoption process that support related board policy development.
  • Ensure that policies and procedures guiding the work of the system are in alignment and support of the newly formed mission, vision and core beliefs.
On Nov. 30, a review team will conduct another visit to monitor progress.

The report says the review team found "sufficient evidence to support a finding that the actions and decisions of the Board of Education are in violation of AdvancED Accreditation Standards and policies."

Old 03-16-2011, 06:31 PM

351 posts, read 770,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
AdvancED has released its accreditation findings, and has placed WCPSS on "accredited warned" status.
What is that? Something like Dean Wormer's Double-Secret Probation in Animal House?

What a crock!

Old 03-16-2011, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Sounds reasonable! Which, of course, means none of it will happen.

Old 03-16-2011, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by byebyenortheast View Post
What is that? Something like Dean Wormer's Double-Secret Probation in Animal House? What a crock!
Doesn't seem to have much to do with education, does it?

Old 03-16-2011, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Doesn't seem to have much to do with education, does it?
Well, yes and no. The curriculum isn't determined or overseen by SACS. Instead, they are looking at administration and precisely the things listed here. As someone who's been through the process at the university level, I know that it isn't about the minutiae of what's being taught in the class (again, federal and state government mandates that) as it is about a more overarching system of organization and effective USE of policy and curriculum.

Standards | AdvancED (http://www.advanc-ed.org/standards - broken link)

Old 03-16-2011, 09:10 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,108,254 times
Wow, I just finished reading the AdvancedEd findings and it is a fairly scathing report against the 5 majority members!

Old 03-17-2011, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
Wow, I just finished reading the AdvancedEd findings and it is a fairly scathing report against the 5 majority members!
Yes, and I had to giggle about the whitewashing job that the WCPSS website did. It basically said "yay! We're still accredited!"

Old 03-17-2011, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annesg View Post
Well, yes and no. The curriculum isn't determined or overseen by SACS. Instead, they are looking at administration and precisely the things listed here. As someone who's been through the process at the university level, I know that it isn't about the minutiae of what's being taught in the class (again, federal and state government mandates that) as it is about a more overarching system of organization and effective USE of policy and curriculum.
Perhaps it's a misnomer then, the say that they accredit "schools"? Should the terminology used to describe this process instead say that they accredit "school systems"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary