Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2011, 02:37 PM

120 posts, read 296,554 times

Advertisements

Hello. I'm already day dreaming about Spring time in the Triangle (first spring here) and I was curious which Lake's are the best. Last year (September) we went to Sandling Lake for a swim, not bad but not great. So my question is what Lakes are the best in the Triangle for swimming, fishing & renting boats, club house or docks, good walks, and just pure beauty??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2011, 05:30 PM

3,395 posts, read 7,775,808 times
My thoughts on some of the lakes:

Lake Johnson - my favorite for a walk or run. Also has boat rentals, although I'm not sure I've ever rented here. Nice boat house (a good place to sit in a rocking chair and relax for awhile).

Lake Crabtree - I've enjoyed the park at this lake a lot over the years. Mountain biking trails, nature trails, volleyball, playgrounds, fishing, etc. The lake itself is a great place to rent a canoe, kayak or sunfish sailboat. I really enjoy sailing on this lake with there is enough wind.

Lake Lynn - nice boardwalks to walk around the lake. I haven't spent a lot of time at this one, but enjoyed the times I've spent.

Shelley Lake - Another really good lake for a run or walk. I've also ridden bikes around several times, and it is large enough not to get bored riding around it. Can get crowded. There are boat rentals, but I've never tried it there.

Bond Lake - smallish lake in Cary in a rather good size park. Nice primitive trail around the lake, so it feels like a hike instead of a walk, which can be a relief around here. Nice boathouse has been built, with several rental options. I've sailed, canoed and paddleboated here. A tad small for sailing, but not terrible. Great for canoeing though if it isn't too windy. Seems to attract a lot of fishing, too.

Apex Reservoir ("Lake Pine") - Nice paved trails, so good for running, pushing a stroller, walking, rollerblading, kids on bikes, etc. Can get crowded. Part of a large Apex Community Park. There is a self launch boat ramp, although I don't know that I've seen anyone out on the lake.

Harris Lake - I've not been out on this lake, next to the nuclear plant. The park is nice, though, with a great disc golf course, mountain biking trails, playgrounds and some hiking trails (with some geocache options). Be wary of ticks, though. I've really enjoyed hiking the trails in the snow, here.

Jordan - with Falls, one of the two large lakes in the area. Lots of different parks, beaches, ramps, etc. Several different sections. I like kayaking on this lake. Spent a day at the "beach" this past summer and had a great time without having to drive to the coast.

Falls - another large lake. I've only been a few times, as it is a good drive from my side of the county. Very finger-y lake, popular with motor boats. Several beaches.

Old 01-22-2011, 07:34 PM

120 posts, read 296,554 times
Awesome break down! Thanks

Old 01-24-2011, 07:54 AM

634 posts, read 913,681 times
I'll add to Dire Wolf's list nearby Lake Wheeler, which like most of the smaller local lakes does not allow beach swimming but does offer some partial walking trails along with boat (and facilities) rental. It also offers no wake lake times (usually morning) and probably the easiest launch ramps in the area, suitable both for regular trailers and boat carts.

Jordan lake offers both free and fee launch ramps, lots of coves, several sand swimming beaches (both protected and "open"), handy campgrounds and quite a bit of scenic variety. The lake level varies quite a bit from early spring to late August, as does the water quality (earlier = better).

Old 01-24-2011, 08:18 AM

1,335 posts, read 3,150,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
Lake Crabtree - I've enjoyed the park at this lake a lot over the years. Mountain biking trails, nature trails, volleyball, playgrounds, fishing, etc. The lake itself is a great place to rent a canoe, kayak or sunfish sailboat. I really enjoy sailing on this lake with there is enough wind.
Totally agree with every word here. Some of my best memories involve sailing with my (then younger) daughter.

One thing to add though. You DO NOT want to swim in this water. I forget the company that had the incident, but the water is basically toxic. Don't eat the fish, and don't swim, but do enjoy the boat rentals and what is IMO the best county park anywhere.

As an aside, the mountainbike trails are in the process of getting a MAJOR upgrade, with trail reworks, jumps, stunts and a bunch of other stuff, curtosey of the local Mountainbike club and a big honkin' grant. The club is TORC! Triangle Off-Road Cyclists (TORC)

Old 01-25-2011, 05:24 AM

1,515 posts, read 6,985,219 times
I agree with all of the above!!

However, if you are looking to go camping, Jordan and Falls are two of the best. Jordan lake is ALWAYS booked. Some of the best spots (ie: next to the lake) get booked months in advance. The only spots that are usually left are the ones across the road (short trip).

Falls lake has some really good spots on the lake. My family & I started camping there last summer and we absolutely love it. We toured Jordan lake, the bathhouses were nicer, but everything was already booked all the way into this year.

Just a heads up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary