Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2011, 09:33 PM

142 posts, read 283,838 times

Advertisements

At the beginning of last year I was surprised to find that I have a rather unexpected affinity for city development, particularly Raleigh's. I love Raleigh the way other people love sports teams (and my friends are as equally uninterested in hearing me talking about it). And all throughout 2010 all I heard was that Raleigh is booming and that over the next ten years we're supposed to have a huge influx of people coming to the city. The fastest growing metro area in the nation, as I heard it. I think some were even suggesting we'd eventually be as big as Charlotte (I'm not offering this as fact so please don't start a debate about it).

But then we lose Progress Energy. And then the WCPSS goes old school bananas on us. And even though the economy is slowly getting better I'm still concerned about Raleigh's growth and how things will unfold over the next decade. Certainly there are issues will where all these new people will live and work and how these masses will be commuted throughout the city, but what about our skyline? And what about our local economy? I'm elated that we're keeping Red Hat and that they'll be expanding their offices in Raleigh, but do you think Raleigh is attractive to other headquarters? And personally I'd like to see these scores of new people bring some more culture to the city.

What are your thoughts about Raleigh over the next ten years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2011, 10:03 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,575,509 times
My first thought is that the economy is not getting better, not sure what indicators are leading you to believe that to be true.

My second thought is when did anyone say we were losing Progress Energy? I've been involved in two fairly large energy industry mergers and the only real consolidation that should be expected is at the senior most level of the newly forming company. Lines still need to be maintained, sub-stations still need to maintained, customers serviced and all of this has to be managed in a geographically sensible location. Raleigh will not likely notice an appreciable reduction in work force because of this deal.

My third thought is that this whole school Board uprising that occurred will be as short-lived as is legally possible. There was definitely broad support for revamping the diversity approach but this has been bungled beyond anyone's worst nightmare. Within another year or so this will settle down and become just another part of local history.

Lastly I think the appeal of Raleigh will continue to grow. Our local academic system is spitting out a steady stream of well-educated technology and engineering professionals, the cost of living down here is still remarkably favorable and RTP will continue to flourish for the foreseeable future. Besides I'm still waiting for the real estate bubble in certain densely populated areas to explode (it will be way more violent than simply popping); when that happens those who can get out with some cash will likely head South until they find a reasonably cosmopolitan area that they can afford - that would be Raleigh-Durham.

Old 01-22-2011, 01:39 PM

142 posts, read 283,838 times
Yes I agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary